IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wood finish too soft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 10:57 AM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood finish too soft?

So I just managed to get a nice longish scratch in that shiny veneer they put on top of the wood near the center console cup holder in my brand new IS350.

I put a sealed coffee thermos in there and the PLASTIC handle scratched it w/out any effort at all. I felt the bottom of the handle and there isn't anything rough or sharp there.

Is the wood veneer really this soft/fragile?!?! Anybody else notice this problem?

Is there anything I can do to a) prevent future scratches (sealant? protectant of some kind?) and/or b) remove the scratch that is there now???

HELP!!!
Old 07-27-06, 11:08 AM
taejin09
Lead Lap

get a clear bra type of material on it. I also heard about the easily scratched wood trim so i opted out the lux package. Maybe someone is willing to change their metalic trim with your wood trim. Good luck!
Old 07-27-06, 11:19 AM
Griffey222
Rookie

Maybe Lexus uses soft wood and finishes that are environmentally friendly like the paint? haha
Old 07-27-06, 11:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

In an earlier thread, someone recommended using Meguirs plastic polish to remove the scratch. I don't know if anyone ever had the guts to try it... I was also thinking that a gentle polish like Meguir's #9 swirl mark remover might work. Unfortunately there really isn't an inconspicuous spot to try it out.
Old 07-27-06, 12:22 PM
KevinL
Rookie

I think you should take it in to the dealer and have them replace the peice. I'm sure they will have no problem replacing it for you.
Old 07-27-06, 12:46 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinL
I think you should take it in to the dealer and have them replace the peice. I'm sure they will have no problem replacing it for you.
Tell that to the last guy, he had it out with the dealership when he asked
them to replace it.. I don't believe they ever did.. I think they quoted him a price
of around $1,400 for that wood piece
Old 07-27-06, 01:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinL
They are no more likely to do that than to repaint or replace the door for free if that gets scratched.
Old 07-27-06, 03:37 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Yah, I really can't see the dealership replacing that piece for a scratch. Even if they did that doesn't really solve anything long-term.

Is there any kind of protectant that can be applied over it? Has anyone tried polishing it with any of the products mentioned above?

I don't understand why Lexus would put a laminate finish over the wood to protect it when the wood is probably much more scratch resistant than the laminate...
Old 07-27-06, 03:44 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, my plastic piece next to the shifter has a few small, not too noticable scratches. not much i can do about that. i dont think the dealer would replace a piece just for a scratch, much less that they could.

i called the dealer about the aluminum trim you get in the sport packages (debating changing out my wood trim) and the guy i talked to said he couldn't find it in the computer. he said the closest thing he could find was the entire door panel... but just to replace a piece of trim that you can just pop off? i would think they would have the trim sets able for us to buy, but i guess i was wrong... i just wanted to see how much it would be to buy a separate trim set, just in case i needed/wanted to replace it (scratches, etc.)
Old 07-27-06, 03:44 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

It's the varnish that's soft. I have a small scratch myself. I'm going to ask my wife what she does when she has scratches on the vanished dining room table...
Old 07-27-06, 03:46 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
It's the varnish that's soft. I have a small scratch myself. I'm going to ask my wife what she does when she has scratches on the vanished dining room table...
your dining room table vanished ?
Old 07-27-06, 05:39 PM
KevinL
Rookie

Wow, I'm surprised that Lexus wouldn't replace something like that under warranty especially since the car is basically brand new. Every other manufacturer I have bought cars from have done things like that for me including VW replacing a bunch of aluminum trim on my Toaureg that got dinged. Maybe you should tell them that it was done by someone in service after the next time it goes in for an oil change.
Old 07-27-06, 05:51 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if it's real wood with a varnish on top can't we just use table polish or some of those clear scratch fillers for tables and hardwood floors?
Old 07-27-06, 06:29 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Can you feel an actual groove where the offending scrape is? If not, it is probaby just something that can be cleaned.
Old 07-27-06, 06:39 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Can you feel an actual groove where the offending scrape is? If not, it is probaby just something that can be cleaned.
There is a very very slight one that I can just feel with my finger. I tried buffing it out with my oakley sunglasses microfiber cloth but it didn't help. I think I would need something to fill in the scratch for me or to smooth it out.

Quick Reply: Wood finish too soft?