Test Drives

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 07:37 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drives

Hey guys,

I’ve doing research on several cars. I am planning on purchasing in the next few months.

Anyway during my “research”, I test drove several cars. Namely a G35 w/sport mt and at, TL A-spec, 330c, IS350

I was very disappointed in the power of the G35 mt coupe. I swear I think the dealer screwed up and put 87 octane in the tank. I am coming from a 500hp eclipse so I knew I would be a little disappointed but I swear my Wife’s 05 Accord V6 felt like it had the same power. The handling was superb though and the interior really sucked. Have you guys seen the NAV on the G35 coupe…YUCK! Now the G35 a/t was much faster than the m/t. YES the Automatic was faster the Stick. I have never seen this before. Either the a/t is geared much lower or they put the wrong gas in the m/t.

Now I really want to talk about the difference between the Is350 and the BMW 330. I have always wanted a BMW. I have always read how they are superb cars that set the bar for others to follow. I know they are in Car and Drivers top ten every year. I have driven the IS350 twice now and twice I was impressed by the power/handling/quietness/smoothness/luxury/interior materials and look of the interior.

So I decided that yesterday would be the first time I would drive a BMW. I drove the 330 coupe with sport suspension. The steering “feel” that everyone talks about feels more like a lack of power steering to me. The gas pedal seemed excessively hard to depress. There was noticeable and excessive body roll through the S-turns that I put it through. The interior was hideous. I have never seen a door panel arm rest that actually angles at a 30º angle down to the front of the door. I had to reach very far to get to the power window switches. My arm angling down gave me a falling sensation. The ride was fairly quiet, yet nothing like the IS. I know that the BMW is down on power so I won’t even comment on the lack of it. I was truly and utterly disappointed.

The IS350 I drove WITHOUT the sport suspension out handled the BMW, TO ME. I would love to really drive or ride in an IS with sport suspension. Anyone in the Montgomery Alabama area want to take me for a ride?

I don’t see how BMW can continue to take the prize in this category when Lexus is producing such a superior product in every category. I know that these comments will bring on the flames with some. But oh-well. These are my true impressions and I am entitled to them.

So screw the BMW, I’ll take an IS350 please..oh yeah Granite
James
Old 07-27-06, 08:40 AM
rys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't get flamed for praising the IS350.

Go buy one, and post up. Welcome to Club Lexus!

-Brian
Old 07-27-06, 10:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the 330 steering wheel feels like the power steering was broken. A steering wheel with some tension/weight in it is good but 330s was just way too much. If you ever drove a TSX steering wheel I think that felt better than a 330s not to heavy but not too light.

BMWs I think use that gas pedal design where it hinges off the floor at the bottom of the pedal, Im not really fond of that, when I want to give it some throttle it feels im stretching my leg. I prefer it when it hinges behind and above the pedal that way it feels like im just putting my foot down and hinging the gas pedal motion with my heel