IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Audi A4 Cab for Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 10:54 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jzalkin
Opinions still requested on the topic. As for insurance - do you think it will drop as the IS proves to be reliable. I think some of the premium is because of the reputation of the previous model that was bought mainly by younger buyers (as compared to competitors) that fell into higher risk categories.
OK, back on topic. To me, the A4 Cab is a cruising car, meant to drive around with the top down, wind in your hair, soaking in the sunshine. The IS is more of a luxury/sport sedan, that will isolate you from the sun, wind, noise, etc while it also can be driven hard, pushed into turns, take corners faster, etc. If you're ready for that transition, than go for it. Also, IMHO, it's always a good thing to get out of a german car once it's past the factory warranty - german cars are not cheap to repair or maintain, and things just seem to fail once outside of warranty. Double check Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book to make sure you get a fair trade on the Audi and that you are indeed getting 500 over mfr's invoice - I think there's still room to haggle . . .
Old 07-27-06, 06:11 PM
jzalkin
Rookie

Default Pulled the trigger

Well, my mind won out. I sealed the deal with the 500 over invoice + $21,000 for my trade + free tinting. Kelly and Edmunds (by about $1500) over estimated my trade. With the car out of warranty, the car took a hit. A friend works at a dealership and had his used car guy look up my trade on the auction list. $21,000 was a fair price he said and that would be about the most he would go if it was his dealership.

I figured that the first time I had a repair on the Audi I would have wished I got rid of it. It is not like it was paid off. I will miss the convertible, but will enjoy the new electronic toys.

As an aside, my first round of discusions was the worst experience I have ever had. The saleman was nice, but a slick sales manager came over and played games. He tried to get me to lease 3 times (stated I wanted to finance over and over). He tried to convince me the money factor was the same as an interest rate. He then started to play price games - offered me $24k for my car, but MSRP for his. Finally, he came up with a payment where he knew I would want to be at (told him I had to be under what I was in now). He said we had a deal since he had "hit a desired payment". He balked when I asked for the term details (trade, rate, length, sale price), saying that I had "honor my end of the bargain." I got pissed and walked out. As I was leaving he said his buyer was reducing the price of my trade $300 from $20,500. The next day (Wed) I got a call from my salesman and the guy's boss apoligizing about him without me mentioning why I left. I told them I would contact them when I know what I wanted to do. I called today and got the extra $500 on my trade plus the tint. I know the tint doesn't cst them much, but it saves me the $100+ and time. When I stopped by to sign some stuff, they kissed my rear pretty hard. I wasn't going to let one @#$hole rune a decent deal.

That is my story. Thanks for you responses and I am glad to be new IS250 Black/Cashmire owner.
Old 07-27-06, 08:45 PM
johnc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jzalkin
Well, my mind won out. I sealed the deal with the 500 over invoice + $21,000 for my trade + free tinting. Kelly and Edmunds (by about $1500) over estimated my trade. With the car out of warranty, the car took a hit. A friend works at a dealership and had his used car guy look up my trade on the auction list. $21,000 was a fair price he said and that would be about the most he would go if it was his dealership.

I figured that the first time I had a repair on the Audi I would have wished I got rid of it. It is not like it was paid off. I will miss the convertible, but will enjoy the new electronic toys.

As an aside, my first round of discusions was the worst experience I have ever had. The saleman was nice, but a slick sales manager came over and played games. He tried to get me to lease 3 times (stated I wanted to finance over and over). He tried to convince me the money factor was the same as an interest rate. He then started to play price games - offered me $24k for my car, but MSRP for his. Finally, he came up with a payment where he knew I would want to be at (told him I had to be under what I was in now). He said we had a deal since he had "hit a desired payment". He balked when I asked for the term details (trade, rate, length, sale price), saying that I had "honor my end of the bargain." I got pissed and walked out. As I was leaving he said his buyer was reducing the price of my trade $300 from $20,500. The next day (Wed) I got a call from my salesman and the guy's boss apoligizing about him without me mentioning why I left. I told them I would contact them when I know what I wanted to do. I called today and got the extra $500 on my trade plus the tint. I know the tint doesn't cst them much, but it saves me the $100+ and time. When I stopped by to sign some stuff, they kissed my rear pretty hard. I wasn't going to let one @#$hole rune a decent deal.

That is my story. Thanks for you responses and I am glad to be new IS250 Black/Cashmire owner.
cool, post some pics, I wanna see that color combo.