IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Black Interior White Scuff Marks

Old 07-24-06, 11:06 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Interior White Scuff Marks

I have a black interior and been noticing white scuff marks on the driver side door repeatedly. I didn't know where they were coming from and just wipe them off. I noticed when I rest my elbow on it and scrape it, my skin is what creates the white suff marks. Just never experience it on any car I've ever had before. Just wanted to share with everyone.
Old 07-24-06, 11:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i have scuff marks on my prelude's doors, they sometimes get kicked by my shoes when I get out since space is a bit tight
Old 07-24-06, 11:23 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Yes, scuff marks from shoes is normal for me as well. Just never seen scuff marks from my skin just by rubbing on it. It's not a big thing though because it can easily be wiped off.
Old 07-24-06, 11:29 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been noticing that the black interior on ours gets scuff marks quite easily. Mostly on the dash. Not something I've experienced to this extent before. It's like you just look at it funny, and a scuff appears.
Old 07-24-06, 12:32 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Yes, scuff marks from shoes is normal for me as well. Just never seen scuff marks from my skin just by rubbing on it. It's not a big thing though because it can easily be wiped off.
put some lotion on your ashy elbows Just kidding, I have the problem with the shoe scuff mark and notice the passenger glove box door gets a lot of scuff marks too.
Old 07-24-06, 12:45 PM
roubaixpro
Driver School Candidate

I also have white scuff marks on the upper portion of the driver's side door. I tried to wipe it off with a wet paper towel which was a big mistake. The plastic is ruff and the paper towel disintegrated with remnents left on the black plastic. Toyota really blew it when they selected this plastic which looks really cheap and marks up so easily if you look at it funny or breath on it.
Old 07-24-06, 12:54 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by roubaixpro
I also have white scuff marks on the upper portion of the driver's side door. I tried to wipe it off with a wet paper towel which was a big mistake. The plastic is ruff and the paper towel disintegrated with remnents left on the black plastic. Toyota really blew it when they selected this plastic which looks really cheap and marks up so easily if you look at it funny or breath on it.
I just rub it with microfiber cloth and it disappears until the next time I put my elbow on it. Lotion? We are men, we don't use lotion. j/k
Old 07-24-06, 01:09 PM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Originally Posted by r6z9r
put some lotion on your ashy elbows Just kidding, I have the problem with the shoe scuff mark and notice the passenger glove box door gets a lot of scuff marks too.
Actually Flipsonic, if you do use lotion that may be it. I noticed marks on my door too and couldn't figure it out till one day after sitting in my car and wiping everything down i saw new marks. I had a habit of pushing the door open with my knuckles and that's what caused the top marks. The other marks were caused by my gf when she drives as I watched her open the door with her elbow --and I don't know any female that doesn't rub lotion all over their arms/legs . It doesn't bug me so much now that i know what it is and actually just broke the habit of using my knuckles to push. Still gets marks the few times she drives but I'd rather that she keeps on using lotion

PS If you are a manly man and don't use lotion then it's probably the moisturizer in your soap
Old 07-24-06, 01:25 PM
muzzman1
Driver

I noticed the scuff marks early on, and found a good cleaner by accident for it! I use Maguires Leather treatment on my seats occasionally got some over spray on the door bar (where the scuff makrs happened) rubbed the over spray off and they scuff marks went with it., so now I clean them intentionally with the leather treatment.....no more scuff marks at all now!
Old 07-24-06, 01:32 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Sounds like somebody has a rare skin disease. Or perhaps you've reached an age where you start to decompose.

Our IS sees pottery clay on the inside. I get it off with a damp microfiber towel and a bit of all-purpose cleaner.

For the most part, I find the interior of the IS easy to clean. It is certainly much easier than our previous Infiniti FX35. The same stains that are easy to remove on the IS were much harder in the FX.
Old 07-25-06, 11:23 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I noticed the same thing but wipes right off. Could be skin cream I use during the summer when sun and swimming tend to dry me out.
Old 07-25-06, 05:45 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I noticed the scuff marks early on, and found a good cleaner by accident for it! I use Maguires Leather treatment on my seats occasionally got some over spray on the door bar (where the scuff makrs happened) rubbed the over spray off and they scuff marks went with it., so now I clean them intentionally with the leather treatment.....no more scuff marks at all now!
I'm gonna have to give this a try as the white marks drives me nuts. And yes...I'm guilty of using lotion. Ashy elbows or any other part of the body is just a big no-no.
Old 07-25-06, 06:29 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I've noticed the same thing happening on my car. I started applying Lexol to the dash and upper part of the door panels as well as my seats. It seems to get rid of the problem.
Old 07-26-06, 06:48 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

What I love about this forum is that I always find that my concerns are shared by others -- and nothing is considered too trivial!

Yesterday, for the first time, I had a "white mark" problem with my black interior, and I can't get it out no matter what I try. It happened like this: I let down the window to lean out and wave my work ID in front of the electric gate senor in order to get into my company's parking lot. It's been hot here, so I was wearing a sleeveless shirt. And, yup, I must have gotten some of my roll-on on the door because I have to lean waaaay out (I'm only 5'2".) I noticed there's a huge white mark on the door. I carry Windex and paper towels in my cargo net, but this mark just laughed at the Windex. Next I tried some Clorox brand cleanser, which does contain some bleach, which also did nothing. I started thinking, "What the heck is this plastic made of??" Finally I scrubbed it lightly with a Brillo pad, and got some, but not all, of it off. And yes, little pieces of paper towel seem to be sticking.

So beware if you wear sleeveless shirts and are short -- I don't know why it's impossible to clean completely, but it is.
Old 07-26-06, 06:54 AM
k04
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r6z9r
I have the problem with the shoe scuff mark and notice the passenger glove box door gets a lot of scuff marks too.
I get that as well tis tis lexus for a bad interior material. I also find it doesn't clean that well either when you get a little scuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Interior White Scuff Marks