IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alarm did not start in my new IS250 (2006)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 06:02 PM
dirtyvegas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm did not start in my new IS250 (2006)

I have a new 2006 IS250. My baby was broken into by some intruders last evening. They shattered the drivers side window and took off with some office laptops kept in the rear seat.

I am interested to know why the alarm did not start when the windows of the car was shattered...this is a real expensive car and if the security is not designed for this ..it really surprises me ..any suggestions!!!
Old 07-23-06, 06:05 PM
sanwong
Driver

There is not any impact sensor in the factory system
Old 07-23-06, 06:10 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dirtyvegas
I have a new 2006 IS250. My baby was broken into by some intruders last evening. They shattered the drivers side window and took off with some office laptops kept in the rear seat.

I am interested to know why the alarm did not start when the windows of the car was shattered...this is a real expensive car and if the security is not designed for this ..it really surprises me ..any suggestions!!!
thats what good insurance is for.... sorry to hear about that!
Old 07-23-06, 06:20 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe the alarm only sounds when the door is opened...
Old 07-23-06, 06:23 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sanwong
There is not any impact sensor in the factory system
This is essentially correct. I believe the antitheft system is activated when a door, hood, or trunk is opened. Since the factory system cannot detect glass breakage, its not surprising the alarm did not go off when the door glass was shattered.
Old 07-23-06, 06:37 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

i would never leave a laptop in the backseat and especially more than one. thats almost asking for someone to break in although i think they should have made the sensor for the glass being broken on the factory system. sorry to hear about your loss tho. did this happen at home,at work, in town?
Old 07-23-06, 06:44 PM
dirtyvegas
Driver School Candidate

it happened in broad daylight around 7 pm outside a restaurant...it is sad!!!
Old 07-23-06, 06:49 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

it happened in broad daylight around 7 pm outside a restaurant...it is sad!!!
im suprised no one saw anything, i know its not the same but one time i ran into the gas station and came back to the car and my bmw emblem on the front was gone......people dont care about other peoples property
Old 07-23-06, 06:51 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by tgara
This is essentially correct. I believe the antitheft system is activated when a door, hood, or trunk is opened. Since the factory system cannot detect glass breakage, its not surprising the alarm did not go off when the door glass was shattered.

maybe you should contact the dealer and tell him what happened, it shouldnt be this way on the price of the is. who knows, maybe you can get the sensor out of it.
Old 07-23-06, 07:03 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they probably did the sparkplug method to shatter your window... that way not much sound is produced.
Old 07-23-06, 07:23 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brentweiss
maybe you should contact the dealer and tell him what happened, it shouldnt be this way on the price of the is. who knows, maybe you can get the sensor out of it.
What good would that do? If the system does not have the capability to detect glass breakage, this mystical sensor you speak of will not help.

I think someone should be sued.
Old 07-23-06, 07:46 PM
dirtyvegas
Driver School Candidate

i share your view too....

wats use of all this security if it does not detect a glass breakage..and why ahus i pay for a security system to detect that as that is the easiest way to damage a vehicle
Old 07-23-06, 07:56 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

sorry to say, but that how most aftermarket alarms are setup. even if there was glass break detection the theif would probably have still ran off with your laptops. only difference is that the alarm would have sounded. most theives know this. sorry about your lost, but the best thing you can do is just to keep your valuables out of plain sight. whenever i have to carry my work laptop i always put it in the trunk. at this point check to see if you work has their laptops insured and hopefully you wont come out of pocket or maybe try your homeowners policy.
Old 07-23-06, 08:28 PM
Bourne3306
Driver School Candidate

Hi Iam sorry to hear about your loss but maybe this can help, I was asking about the Lexus Alarms and someone on another forum reccomended this http://www.luxurymotorworks.com But at least the Lexus' have an alarm that will detect a hood or trunk being opened as this is not the case with most stock alarms...and plus on the IS no one can steal the car without the key due to the engine imobilizer...But it is still a pity about the laptops....
Old 07-23-06, 08:35 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AFAIK, most OE alarms these days are more designed to prevent the actual vehicle from being stolen and not the items inside of it. No matter how good your alarm system is, if something is visible in your vehicle and a thief really wants it... he/she is going to get it.

Cheers,
Kermee

Quick Reply: Alarm did not start in my new IS250 (2006)