IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Bulb Installation(HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 08:49 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MTEC HID Bulb Installation

I'm currently installing my MTEC 6000K HID bulb and the damn thing doesn't want to lock in place on the housing. The link below should explain why. Either I'll wait and get the correct one from the seller or use a Dremel. Any other ideas?

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...=1153594301835

Last edited by Flipsonic; 07-25-06 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-22-06, 11:53 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Should I use a Dremel?
Old 07-22-06, 11:56 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant see the picture
Old 07-22-06, 05:11 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

I installed my fogs no prob, gonna try to install my hids (mtec) tomorrow... what type of problems are you having?
Old 07-23-06, 08:48 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by jewel
I installed my fogs no prob, gonna try to install my hids (mtec) tomorrow... what type of problems are you having?
I believe I got the wrong HID bulbs. The 3 tabs are too thick. It goes in the housing but it won't turn clockwise to lock in place. I took a pic but i have to resize it to upload. Can you take a pic of the HID bulb you received for comparison with mine? Thanks.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 07-23-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 10:23 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

does it say h11 on the box?
Old 07-23-06, 12:17 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

turn it with pliers to get it to lock
Old 07-23-06, 01:17 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Yes, it says H11 on the box. Goodluck turning the driver side with pliers. They should turn by hand with no problem, just like the stock bulbs. Also, I'm afraid I might break them if I turn too hard. Can you put your stock and MTEC bulbs side by side and let me know if the tabs are the same thickness? I really think I got the wrong bulbs. There's no way these will lock in the housing. I was able to resize the pic. Left side is stock, right side is MTEC.
Attached Thumbnails HID Bulb Installation(HELP!)-mtec.jpg  
Old 07-23-06, 02:23 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

My bulbs are EXACTLY like yours. Just finished my install in under less than 3 hours. The bulbs will not turn by just twisting it, I had to use pliers for leverage and it turns easily with the pliers... I'm no wuss either :P

Does anyone elses HIDS hiss when they turn on? Only for like 10 seconds and it goes away... but it scared me when it was hissing :P
Old 07-24-06, 06:04 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

My bulbs are EXACTLY like yours. Just finished my install in under less than 3 hours. The bulbs will not turn by just twisting it, I had to use pliers for leverage and it turns easily with the pliers... I'm no wuss either :P

Does anyone elses HIDS hiss when they turn on? Only for like 10 seconds and it goes away... but it scared me when it was hissing :P
Hey thanks for the pliers suggestion. I never thought of using it since (1) I thought it should turn like the stock bulbs, (2) I didn't want to break it. But all is good now. The manual should say use of pliers may be necessary. Yes, I hear the hiss for the first 10 seconds also.

After driving around at night, they sure look better than stock. From very far away, they're kinda bright. People may think I have my brights on. The 4750k fog bulbs does not help though. I turned them on and off, and there's not much difference because the HIDs over power them. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 07-24-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-24-06, 08:51 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

The fogs were noticeable when I had just my stock halogens, now they're just to make my car pretty. I got the 6000k HID's and they seems to have an aqua tinge, and not a blue one.... but it looks nice. The jagged lighting pattern of the halogens seems to have gotten worse tho =/
Old 07-24-06, 09:24 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

post some pics up guys =)
Old 07-24-06, 09:55 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

the exact same thing happened to me with my MTEC kit also. Instead of doing the smart thing and using pliers, I actually took a dental handpiece and recontoured the tabs. I was too lazy and didn't even put the dust covers back on, I just left it open..... 3 months and multiple HEAVY rainy days later, still no condensation

ps I drill and fill for a living so did what came naturally
Old 07-25-06, 08:52 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

nice :P
i would use the dustcover tho... save you some hassle later
Old 07-25-06, 09:08 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

nice :P
i would use the dustcover tho... save you some hassle later
I agree. It's not that hard to drill a hole, use the rubber sealer (or whatever it's called), and put the dust cover back on. I feel better with it on regardless of condensation or dust.

As for the bulbs, just found out there are two types of MTEC H11s. One is with the thicker tabs, the other with thinner tabs. This is what the seller told me. I thought the guide (or whatever you call it) in the housing is what was preventing the bulb to go in and turn clockwise because the tabs are too thick. If you put it side by side with the stock bulbs, I still dont understand how it turned using pliers. But it did. Did we just force it in there?

Quick Reply: HID Bulb Installation(HELP!)