IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

auto door lock when leaving vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 12:19 AM
islandsnow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto door lock when leaving vehicle

ok, so the car can sense that you are near (with the remote) and when you put your hand on the door handle it will unlock.

is there a way for the car to automatically lock the doors when you leave the car? so with the remote on you, as you walk away from the car out of the cars range, it will sense it and lock the doors?

i find that because i never take the remote out of my pockets, i have a hard time remembering if i pressed the button on the door handle to lock the doors.

i know that when i first picked up my car, i had one remote on me, and i had the second spare remote in the glove box. when i exited the car and pressed the button, the car sensed that a remote was inside of the car so it didn't let me lock the doors when i pressed the button, even though one of the remotes was outside of the car on me. since it knows that a remote is inside the car, i was thinking if the car knows when the remote leaves the car and then out of range? is there a feature like that to auto lock your doors?
Old 07-22-06, 12:22 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

nope... it doesnt. i forget sometimes too if i locked my IS or not
Old 07-22-06, 12:26 AM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by inecstaz
nope... it doesnt. i forget sometimes too if i locked my IS or not
thanks for the response. oh well, would be a nice feature. i found myself walking back to my IS because i forgot if i actually touched/locked the doors. on my old car, i would have the key/remote in my hand and as i walk away i would press the remote's lock button and go... so i think it'll take some time to re-adjust myself and make sure i touch the handle when i leave the car.
Old 07-22-06, 06:48 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it's gonna take some time for you to get use to making it a habit to touch the door button everytime you slam the door. should take no more than a month or so and you'll be comfortable with it. unfortunately the car door locks don't lock by themselves that's just never an option on this car. if you have a remote inside the car, while touching the handle will not lock the doors, using the remote lock button on the key fob will lock the doors even with a second remote hdden inside the car.
Old 07-22-06, 10:21 AM
srashid
Driver

I think on mercs the 'Keyless-Go' system does automatically lock the car as you walk away, so it's a shame Lexus don't do this as well. It's a good idea because even with the RX I have with normal remote and key, sometimes I start wondering if I locked it or not.

Another good idea that's just come out on the new Volvo S80 is it has some kind of indicator on the remote that shows whether the car is locked or not. That seems like a useful fetaure.
Old 07-22-06, 11:24 AM
iorchii
Driver School Candidate

the main reason why Lexus didn't offer the Keyless go.. Mercedes probably patented that feature, therefore lexus couldn't offer the feature. Copyright infringement and more law suits...

Same thing as Cingular offering rollover minutes and other wireless companies don't have something similar to that
Old 07-22-06, 11:45 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't remember what Chevrolet called the system. But on my friend's 1996 Corvette it had a passive type locking system. If the key w/fob was in his pocket as he walked close to the car it would unlock it. Cool. Then, as he left his car and walked away it would sense the fob leaving and the car would automatically lock. Cool.

But, if the key was in his pocket and he "puttered" about the garage/driveway the car was locking and unlocking and locking and unlocking etc., etc. You get the picture. Corvette owners so hated the system it was changed. Nope, don't know how the '05/'06 Corvettes work. but I'm glad my C5 and my new IS aren't like that. I'm just training myself to remember to A-push the black button or B-push the lock button on the "key".
Old 07-22-06, 12:01 PM
huge.eug
Driver School Candidate

I've got it on my '05 Corvette and it works flawlessly for me. You can program it to not make beep when it locks/unlocks. So it silently unlocks as you walk to the car and locks automatically when you leave it (the car still flashes to let you know it locked or unlocked). There isn't a moving door handle inside or out, nor a moving manual lock switch. It works very well. I wish my IS had work that way, too. I keep forgetting to lock the damn thing.
Old 07-22-06, 12:07 PM
evren
Rookie

I agree it would be a nice feature, but I find the long range on the remote makes up for it...even if I'm a block away but within line-of-sight the car locks when I finally remember to push the button. Actually of late I've been using the panic button to locate my car in underground lots even when I'm parked two levels away, its fantastic.
Old 07-22-06, 12:42 PM
islandsnow
Driver

hmmm maybe if you know you are just "puttering" around in the garage or driveway, and don't intend on driving the car, just leave the remote in the house! besides, they should have a way to turn off that feature if you don't want it working that way, or to turn it on. much like the feature of unlocking all the doors from the drivers side vs just unlocking the drivers side. you can toggle turning that feature on or off.

so it can't be a patent issue if chevrolet has it on their corvettes.

Originally Posted by Lexustom
Can't remember what Chevrolet called the system. But on my friend's 1996 Corvette it had a passive type locking system. If the key w/fob was in his pocket as he walked close to the car it would unlock it. Cool. Then, as he left his car and walked away it would sense the fob leaving and the car would automatically lock. Cool.

But, if the key was in his pocket and he "puttered" about the garage/driveway the car was locking and unlocking and locking and unlocking etc., etc. You get the picture. Corvette owners so hated the system it was changed. Nope, don't know how the '05/'06 Corvettes work. but I'm glad my C5 and my new IS aren't like that. I'm just training myself to remember to A-push the black button or B-push the lock button on the "key".
Old 07-22-06, 01:23 PM
shox
Pole Position

That would be a cool feature on the future IS's, like the 07 or 08. As for the Corvette one goes, since our's only unlocks with the touch of the handle, and if it had the passive locking system, it probably won't lock and unlock consistently if we're just walking around the car. I hope that makes sense.
Old 07-22-06, 01:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iorchii
the main reason why Lexus didn't offer the Keyless go.. Mercedes probably patented that feature, therefore lexus couldn't offer the feature. Copyright infringement and more law suits...

Same thing as Cingular offering rollover minutes and other wireless companies don't have something similar to that
incorrect. on both counts. even this thread talks about two different cars with the same feature.
Old 07-22-06, 02:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

btw, you can set Passive Alarm if you're worried about forgetting to lock the doors.

What passive alarm does is that the alarm sets as it usually does BUT the difference is that the doors don't have to be locked, just closed. This means, if you forget to lock the doors, the alarm will still set. The only issue is that you have to remember that passive alarm is on (say if you wash your car with the doors unlock) and therefore press unlock to disable it before you open any door.
Old 07-22-06, 02:15 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iorchii

That'd be like patenting rain-sensing wipers.... (which by the way is a better feature and many cars have now). That doesn't hold any water...
Old 07-22-06, 10:21 PM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
That'd be like patenting rain-sensing wipers.... (which by the way is a better feature and many cars have now). That doesn't hold any water...
i think i rather have it locking for me automatically rather than having the wipers go on automatically. although its a good concept, when it rained here the other day, my wipers didn't turn on until quite a bit of raindrops had already hit the windshield. since it was my first time, i was wondering if my automatic sensing was working or not. and then when it lightened to a drizzle, there were still raindrops hitting my windshield but the wipers didn't clear it until i manually did it. its not a perfect system but it works for the most part. what i wish the IS had was the intermittent feature which i noticed is gone now.

Quick Reply: auto door lock when leaving vehicle