IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help: Applying legal decal to window tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 02:43 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help: Applying legal decal to window tint

Just purchased new IS 350. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228449 for full story but had tint question.

I live in SC, but purchased car in NC and Lexus dealer had their tinter apply tint(Greystone 40%) on car when it came in. Later that day, I came to State trooper checkpoint for license/registration. As I approached(it was night time), I had trouble finding window control so it took a few seconds after stopping to get window down. I think that ticked him off to start with. Anyway license/registration passed. He didn't question tint percentage, but nailed me because I didn't have a label in the corner of each window specifying tint percent, tinter, address, etc. He didn't give me ticket, but said next time he would.

Found out from tinter that they don't put tint labels in windows(NC doesn't require them) and even don't do it for cars in SC. They were surprised trooper even said anything with 40% tint(but it wasn't about tint but about label).

The SC law says, "You must apply a certificate of compliance (not to exceed 2" square) on the lower left corner of each glazing surface as viewed from the outside of the vehicle. This certificate must contain the percentage of light transmittance allowed by the material and must identify the installer or retailer by name, address and telephone number, and the date of installation."

The law also says tinter must apply it, but talked to tinter they gave me 'approval' to apply it.

The guy who applied my 3M bra said he would let me make some labels from his material with all information and he would apply them inside the windows for me. A sharper marker would still hold to it for writing information even after he applied his liquid and it didn't smear(he tested it while on the phone). Nice guy he is. I never roll down rear windows or passenger side and only roll down driver side for drive through which will stop now anyway(no food in car), so I shouldn't have problem catching it on window especially with it stuck to window so tightly with 3M bra material .8mm thick.

Can you guys think of any other options for putting a label on the car with specs given?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-06, 03:17 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new IS350
Sorry I didn't post the pics of my tint in time for you. How do you like the 40% Greystone ?
After curing and cleaning my windows, with the Cashmere interior, I probably would've went 20% on the rears and back. My tint looks considerably lighter due to the interior color. I'm curious to see how the 40% looks on your car with your (Sterling?) interior.
Oh and don't be rolling down any windows for another 48 hrs !!!

PS - this is the 1st I've heard about this tint decal thing - keep us posted, especially since I think it's complete BS . . .
Old 07-23-06, 04:00 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
Congrats on the new IS350
Sorry I didn't post the pics of my tint in time for you. How do you like the 40% Greystone ?
After curing and cleaning my windows, with the Cashmere interior, I probably would've went 20% on the rears and back. My tint looks considerably lighter due to the interior color. I'm curious to see how the 40% looks on your car with your (Sterling?) interior.
Oh and don't be rolling down any windows for another 48 hrs !!!

PS - this is the 1st I've heard about this tint decal thing - keep us posted, especially since I think it's complete BS . . .
Hey... I've updated my earlier post with pics of the tint and clear bra. It looks dark enough for me with the black interior with Tungsten Perl(Silver). I think anything below 40% would have been too dark for my personal preference. Was able to keep the windows closed until today.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228449