IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS... My Story

Old 07-20-06, 09:18 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My IS... My Story (with pics)

So here's my story(I'll get to the IS 350 in a minute). Go back in time to a year ago.... I'd been needing a new car(for me) but couldn't afford it since I had to pay off another car(for wife) first. Pay off was in July 06. So only thing I could do was window shop until then. I currently have(had) a 1997 Saturn(124hp) with 175k miles, sun roof leaks and doesn't work, CD player broke, one window doesn't work, 2qts oil every 2 weeks, etc. My only criteria for new car was to have a Navigation system with a little more horsepower. After a little research I came up with the IS 350, Infiniti G35, BMW 330i, etc. class of vehicles. After research, lots of reviews, pictures, reading forums, I picked the IS 350. I read more and more... test drove one... read some more... and more... time goes by...

So on 4/13/06 I special ordered an IS 350 Tungsten Perl/Black Sport/Nav/Mark Lev/Pref Pack/Rear Spoiler/40% Tint from Charlotte, NC dealer. I live in SC, but work in NC btw. I negotiated down to $42,700 out the door, tags/fees/taxes after dealing with over 5 other dealers back and forth.

So the wait begins.... I call on 5/10/06... no status... "It was placed with Lexus on 4/13", she says. I call on 6/5/06... no status... "It was placed with Lexus on 4/13", she says again. I call on 6/17(I know, I can't wait) and she says, "Yes, it's scheduled with a build date at the factory on 6/19/06". Great.... it took 2 months to get a build date. Wish I could have got one of those the day I placed the order. She says it should take 7-14 days to build the car from the build date, then 28 days to ship to port and arrive at dealer. OK... that gives me some hope and a fuzzy date.

I call back on 7/6 and they verify it's been built and is on the ship with a port date of 7/14 and a dealer arrival date of 7/21. A little sooner than I expected. It's getting closer.

Now it's a long boat ride. I call this week to finalize tint color, insurance, trade in value of my poor Saturn, and find out car is due to dealer this week between 7/18 - 7/20. Turns out it was 7/19.

Sales guy called me 7/19 at 7pm and says, "Cars here!" and he verified all my options. He had it cleaned up from long ride from port. Since it was late and dealer is 45 minutes away, I decided to wait until morning to see it. Watching car commercials last night was a killer. ;-)

Got to dealer around 9am on 7/20 and saw my baby all clean with plastic still inside. Did all the paperwork and she went off to the tint shop. Turned in my Saturn(trade in) and they gave me a GS 300 loaner until they got it back from tinter which was around 2pm. Then took it straight over to have clear bra installed. He was working on another vehicle so it wasn't until 7pm until he started working on it. It was 10pm when he finished. I even got him to put some film behind the door handles to keep the finger nail scratches away. He did great job. I did see my first little teeny tiny little bitty nick about 2 inches above where the film ends on right side of hood that was there before he started. Film wouldn't have reached it anyway. Oh well... can't stop everything I guess.

So I'm using the Nav to get back home(30 miles away from home) and it shows the 3d highway view(way cool). Never used a nav so I was impressed. So I'm a mile from my house and state troopers have everyone pulled over at my exit and are checking registration. I roll the window down(I forgot I just had it tinted!!!) and he checks drivers license and asks for registration. Told him just bought car today and have paperwork. He's ok with that, then says role your window half way up. He checks tint then says, you don't have label stating tint percent, dealer, address, etc., but since you just got it I won't site you $250 ticket, but get it labeled or next time I'll get you. I got it tinted in NC, but live in SC. They don't have to label that in NC, so I've have to see if they'll do something for me. First thing I did when I got home was check inside of window for any damages of rolling down window. None to be found.

Anyway... pics to follow over weekend when it's daylight.

I'll post more of my thoughts and first impressions of going from a boring no frills 1997 Saturn to a 2006 IS 350 Sport/Nav/ML as well.

Thanks for listening... and for the guys still waiting... it's worth it.

Last edited by brel523; 07-23-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 09:24 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I pick mine up on Saturday and can't wait. I'm going from a 2000 Dodge Neon with power NOTHING to a loaded IS350... YAY!

Congrats!
Old 07-20-06, 09:45 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL what a long story! Can't believe I read all of that considering I just pulled an all niter to work on a paper for school.

Anyway, since I read it all, I might as well say congrats. Enjoy your new ride. I'm sure you will as I can tell how excited you are about it.
Old 07-20-06, 09:46 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

wow.. you got lucky with the cop!! congrats on new car!
Old 07-21-06, 06:50 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

congrats on the purchase... your tint should be fine. just make sure to leave the car out in the sun for a few days so the tint can cure faster.
Old 07-21-06, 11:30 AM
dngo27
Driver

Congrats and welcome to the club. Be prepared to answer many questions from admiring strangers.
Old 07-21-06, 01:32 PM
brel523
Rookie

Found out from tinter that they don't put tint labels in windows even for cars done in SC. They were surprised trooper even said anything with 40% tint(but it wasn't about tint but about label).

The SC law says, "You must apply a certificate of compliance (not to exceed 2" square) on the lower left corner of each glazing surface as viewed from the outside of the vehicle. This certificate must contain the percentage of light transmittance allowed by the material and must identify the installer or retailer by name, address and telephone number, and the date of installation."

The guy who put the 3M bra on said he would let me make some labels from his material with all information them apply them inside the windows for me. A sharper marker would hold to it after he applied his liquid and it didn't smear(he tested it on the phone). Nice guy he is. I never roll down rear windows or passenger side and only do driver side for drive through which will stop now anyway(no food in car), so I shouldn't have problem catching it on window especially with it stuck to window so tightly.

Can you guys think of any other options for putting a label on the car with specs given?

Thanks.

Last edited by brel523; 07-21-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 03:54 PM
brel523
Rookie

Default Now I have pics...

After you read the long story, here is a few shots of my Tungsten Perl/Black IS 350 with GreyStone 40% tint and 3M clear bra which you can't see.

Another shot. You can't see the clear the bra again.

A closer shot of clear bra. You can just barely see the line. You can't see where it was applied to the bumper at all. The guy did a great job.

Last edited by brel523; 12-04-08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 08:06 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Default Great Car

I also have an IS 350 Tungsten Pearl/Black with the 3M Clear Bra. I don't have the tinted windows. Had mine since October 2005 and really love it.

Congratualations!
Old 07-24-06, 05:42 PM
mbdurham
Driver School Candidate

Love the car. Looks great
I am moving to Charlotte in August and am interested in where you bought the car and also where you got the tint and clear bra done. I am planning on ordering almost a twin of your car in September.
Also Is that the sport supension? Doesn't look much lower than standard.
Old 07-24-06, 06:31 PM
brel523
Rookie

Originally Posted by mbdurham
Love the car. Looks great
I am moving to Charlotte in August and am interested in where you bought the car and also where you got the tint and clear bra done. I am planning on ordering almost a twin of your car in September.
Also Is that the sport supension? Doesn't look much lower than standard.
Thanks.

Got the car from Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte. Had to really work hard and long on them to get them $2.5K below MSRP. Had them competing with Columbia, SC dealer for my business. Part of the deal was they threw in the tint(Lightning Mikes in Charlotte does all their tint). I chose GreyStone 40%. GreyStone because it's only tint they(Lightning Mikes) offers that is not metallic, so it doesn't interfer with nav. I picked 40% because it was against black interior and would look darker than it is. Not sure of cost since it wasn't part of the total and freebie. The 3M clear bra was put on by UltraShild of Charlotte www.ultrashieldofcharlotte.com (Steve) did a great job on the car. I highly recommend him. He even worked until 11pm to get the car done same day I received the car to make sure I could ride it home with bra on.

I got sport package, so yes that is the sport suspension. It's not that much lower than standard. I've heard .5 inches, but have not measured.

I've very happy with car. Good luck with your pricing with dealer and purchase. You'll love it!!! We'll have to get together and compare when you get it. I work downtown Charlotte.
Old 07-24-06, 06:45 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Very nice, your wait is finally over. Do you have a long drive on that gravel road? If so, the clear bra will be working overtime. Good choice of color to hide the dust.

I can't belive you have to put a sticker on each window with all that info. I think concealed weapons permits are easier to get than 40% tint. Since the law states no bigger than 2", I would make my sticker .002 nanometers and carry a magnifying glass in the glove box for any trooper that stops you.
Old 07-24-06, 06:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Congrats and glad you found Steve - that's who I would have recommended in Charlotte.

Hope you CLT guys come out to our local meets sometime.

We've got a big one coming up in ATL at the Petit Le Mans with Team Lexus new IS350 racecar at end of September, www.lexfest.net (or check the southeast forum here on CL).
Old 07-24-06, 07:05 PM
brel523
Rookie

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
Very nice, your wait is finally over. Do you have a long drive on that gravel road? If so, the clear bra will be working overtime. Good choice of color to hide the dust.

I can't belive you have to put a sticker on each window with all that info. I think concealed weapons permits are easier to get than 40% tint. Since the law states no bigger than 2", I would make my sticker .002 nanometers and carry a magnifying glass in the glove box for any trooper that stops you.
Have about 150ft gravel driveway. I'm driving slow and on the edge of it(more on the grass part). The clear bra was must because of the driveway and the 60 mile highway driving to/from work everyday. Those little highway rocks from tractor trailers peppered my previous card on the front of hood and bumper. Not this time.

Yes, I agree with you on tint law. Crazy!
Old 07-24-06, 07:36 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

I know you have only had the car a few days now, but how do you like the ride, HWY and back roads? There have been many post ranting about the rough/ jittery/choppy ride of the sports package. Any thoughts?

Can't wait to replace my mean, green 98 civic!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My IS... My Story