IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cruise engaged light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 06:43 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cruise engaged light?

I've never seen or driven a car that didn't have an indicator that the cruise control is engaged. Mine shows when I have the cruise switch on, but when I set it, there is nothing showing it's set.

Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
Old 07-17-06, 06:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There should be a light engaged. It isn't urgent or emergent, so get it checked by your dealer on your next service appointment.

Keep us informed with the progress.
Old 07-17-06, 09:20 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Mike, mine does the same thing as yours: the green "Cruise" light illuminates as soon as I press the switch at the end of the cruise control stalk. It stays illuminated until I press the switch again to turn the cruise control system off. Beyond that, there is nothing to indicate when the cruise control is actually engaged.

Neither you nor Phillip indicated whether or not you have the dynamic cruise control/PCS -- it may function differently from the standard system. I do not have the dynamic version.
Old 07-17-06, 09:23 AM
jezza
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Mike, mine does the same thing as yours: the green "Cruise" light illuminates as soon as I press the switch at the end of the cruise control stalk. It stays illuminated until I press the switch again to turn the cruise control system off. Beyond that, there is nothing to indicate when the cruise control is actually engaged.

Neither you nor Phillip indicated whether or not you have the dynamic cruise control/PCS -- it may function differently from the standard system. I do not have the dynamic version.
Mine functions the same, no PCS. And basically, that's the same as every other cruise control system I've had on a variety of Japanese cars.
Old 07-17-06, 10:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jezza
Mine functions the same, no PCS. And basically, that's the same as every other cruise control system I've had on a variety of Japanese cars.
Not the ones I've had, e.g., '95 Maxima, '90 Eclipse/Talon. On those cars, the "Cruise" light came on when you pressed the "Set" button to engage cruise control, and extinguished when you tapped the brake pedal to disengage it.

Last edited by Bichon; 07-17-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-17-06, 10:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I should elaborate.

I do not have PCS.

When I press the cruise button, the indicator light turns on. The cruise may not be engaged, but the light is on. When the cruise is engaged, the light stays on, even if I press the brake and disengage the cruise control system. If I want to disengage the cruise control without pressing the brake, I press the button and the indicator light turns off.

Is this your scenario? If it is, then it's normal. If not, check it with the dealer.
Old 07-17-06, 10:53 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a toyota thing. Our 94 Camry did the same. Cruise would illuminate, but no indication of set speed. My current CRV only lights up on the instrument cluster when speed is set. The cruise button on the CRV stays lit once it is depressed.
Old 07-17-06, 11:01 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default same here

same on all lexus, funny that they got rid of the "set" thing. i remember when cruise control first came out and the "set" light was there. i wonder what made them get rid of it. it doesnt bug me in the least, maybe they just realized that its not really all that necessary, you get used to it.
Old 07-17-06, 11:13 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting. I drive on cruise all the time, even in town. I'll bet I engage cruise probably 50 times a day. It keeps me out of trouble with the local gendarmes, who radar the snot out of everything that passes.

But if there's no indicator, there's no indicator!
Old 07-17-06, 11:50 AM
srashid
Driver

Hey Mike, on Mercedes there is no light whatsoever to indicate cruise is on or set, and to set a speed there is no 'On' button required first, all you do is flick up a stalk on the steering column. I quite liked it that way!
Old 07-17-06, 11:54 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think I should elaborate.

I do not have PCS.

When I press the cruise button, the indicator light turns on. The cruise may not be engaged, but the light is on. When the cruise is engaged, the light stays on, even if I press the brake and disengage the cruise control system. If I want to disengage the cruise control without pressing the brake, I press the button and the indicator light turns off.

Is this your scenario? If it is, then it's normal. If not, check it with the dealer.
Yes, normal in the 350 without adaptive cruise.
Old 07-17-06, 11:55 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

I know when my cruise is working when I have my foot off the gas pedal and the car maintains a constant speed at which I set it at.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 07-17-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 11:56 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srashid
Hey Mike, on Mercedes there is no light whatsoever to indicate cruise is on or set, and to set a speed there is no 'On' button required first, all you do is flick up a stalk on the steering column. I quite liked it that way!
now that you mention it, i guess it really makes no difference if the light is there or not, if its not going to tell you that its "set" and running, theres really no point in it being switched on or off either! why not just leave it on all the time and flip the handle to set it when you want to use it? i guess it would tell you that it MIGHT be set and you MIGHT be using it . pretty funny stuff! i suppose it is safe to be aware that it might be running. when your car starts accellerating up a hill to keep its speed and you forgot that you were using cruise control....awww never mind, thats just stupid!
on a side note, a lot of people really dont like cruise control at ALL. I personally use it as often as i can, to conserve gas - chill out and cross my feet, whatever. anyone here who never uses it?
Old 07-17-06, 01:11 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by srashid

Oh, I thought all German cars worked the way my Audi did (after the warranty expired):

1. Turn cruise control on.
2. Accelerate to speed and push set button
3. Observe car slowing down
4. Push set button a bunch of times more forcefully
5. Observe car slowing down.
6. Spray contact cleaner into switch -- wait while excess cleaner drips onto pants leg
7. Press button forcefully a few more times.
8. Cruise control is set!! Enjoy.
9. Wait for some bozo to cut in front of you, requiring you to tap the brake pedal.
10. Return to step #2.
Old 07-17-06, 02:18 PM
srashid
Driver

Don't you know Bichon, you NEVER keep a German car after the warranty expires unless you like to live dangerously

Quick Reply: Cruise engaged light?