IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS Sunshield Recommendation (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 11:42 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Apparently I got the "old" heatshield also. They probably got complaints that it wasn't long enough because mine would collapse down in the middle even though I used both visors to hold it up, it was too loose. I ended up getting a tighter fit by fitting it up against the sensor for the automatic wipers. I had to turn the automatic wipers off as every time I'd go to put the sunshield in and tuck it in the wiper would make a pass. Now, I have my radar detector up there so I fit it under that and don't need the driver's visor to go down as the radar detector holds it. If I didn't have the radar detector, I would definitely want the "new" pattern for a better/closer fit. The "old" visor did have flaws and I give them kudos for trying to improve it.

Last edited by is4me2; 06-22-06 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-22-06, 11:46 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

Glad I read your post. I was about to order one with the understanding it was near exact fit.
The new version does not sound worth while. If it a sloppy fit (too big)
I will just buy the one Lexus offers. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-22-06, 11:53 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is4me2
Apparently I got the "old" heatshield also. They probably got complaints that it wasn't long enough because mine would collapse down in the middle even though I used both visors to hold it up, it was too loose. I ended up getting a tighter fit by fitting it up against the sensor for the automatic wipers. I had to turn the automatic wipers off as every time I'd go to put the sunshield in and tuck it in the wiper would make a pass. Now, I have my radar detector up there so I fit it under that and don't need the driver's visor to go down as the radar detector holds it. If I didn't have the radar detector, I would definitely want the "new" pattern for a better/closer fit. The "old" visor did have flaws and I give them kudos for trying to improve it.
How would yours collapse down in the middle (middle as in left-right/top-bottom)? Was it that the material stopped being stiff enough? I've seen some people's sunshades just fold in the middle (top-bottom) when it's a soft material.
Old 06-22-06, 11:58 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by Tulsa1
Glad I read your post. I was about to order one with the understanding it was near exact fit.
The new version does not sound worth while. If it a sloppy fit (too big)
I will just buy the one Lexus offers. Thanks for the heads up.

How much is the Lexus one?
Old 06-22-06, 12:15 PM
Tulsa1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bengalfang
How much is the Lexus one?
Be sure and specify which car.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=34
Old 06-22-06, 12:16 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

I have the bigger one and the width doesn't bother me but the bending I have to do to get it around my mirrir is annoying. Everytime I use it I have to be super careful of my mirror or it will move. I think I'm going to trim it near the mirror and band it with something.
Old 06-22-06, 01:08 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dabigman
I have the bigger one and the width doesn't bother me but the bending I have to do to get it around my mirrir is annoying. Everytime I use it I have to be super careful of my mirror or it will move. I think I'm going to trim it near the mirror and band it with something.
Hrmmmm... I just push the heatshield right underneath the mirror and my mirror never moves...

Originally Posted by Tulsa1
Actually, that one is also made by Canvasworks (1104 is the pattern number Canvasworks uses). Its not so much that the new pattern is bad so much that I would rather have 0" overlap vs. the ~1" extra that it extends left right and top. Although it does push and hold itself in a little, I feel like I have to put in the extra effort to make sure that I don't leave gaps between the heatshield and the pillars/headliner.
Old 06-22-06, 02:34 PM
mr.BeboT
Driver

I was also about to order, but it seems that like you AznJason I'd rather have the old version. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-22-06, 03:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I have the old one as it barely comes to the edge. So I don't use mine nearly enough to appreciate the additional rich benefits you receive from the broader coverage lol. I think when it gets real hot, they all burn up pretty evenly....hot! But anyway I would return it for old one if you aren't 100% happy with the aesthetics since that is what we were looking for with the custom work. I think you can still get old ones on ebay from that one lexus dealership (just got mine a week or two ago).
Old 06-22-06, 05:29 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by AznJason
How would yours collapse down in the middle (middle as in left-right/top-bottom)? Was it that the material stopped being stiff enough? I've seen some people's sunshades just fold in the middle (top-bottom) when it's a soft material.
I meant it sags in the middle......not sticking to the window and the visors do not go all the way to the window to hold it so it helped when I would tuck it in to the box by the rear view mirror (for the automatic wipers). Like I said now that it is held by the back of the radar detector it is better but the quality of the sunshield is not as good as the custom one I had for the IS300.

I will say the stiff fold up (accordion type) ones from Lexus that say "Lexus" are crap. Mine fell apart in one year. Don't get those!
Old 07-16-06, 06:49 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Default 2IS Sunshield Recommendation (merged threads)

Just wondering if I could get some recommendations for a good, quality sunshield for my new IS 350 that I'm picking up Saturday. I searched and someone mentioned http://www.canvasworks.com/ahs1.html but their store is not working right now. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-16-06, 07:03 PM
Frisco
Driver

I picked up one of the $30 custom made ones off Ebay. It came from Grapevine Lexus. It fits pretty nice.
Old 07-16-06, 07:17 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by Frisco
I picked up one of the $30 custom made ones off Ebay. It came from Grapevine Lexus. It fits pretty nice.

Do you have a link or can you lead us to the link? Thanks.
Old 07-16-06, 08:51 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Here is a link to a lexus dealer on Ebay that I bought a spoiler, stainless pedals, and custom windshield screen for $295 (shipped) He gave me free shipping for buying all three items. These guys have been GREAT to deal with.

Ebay Lexus Dealer
Old 07-16-06, 09:17 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeTrO
Here is a link to a lexus dealer on Ebay that I bought a spoiler, stainless pedals, and custom windshield screen for $295 (shipped) He gave me free shipping for buying all three items. These guys have been GREAT to deal with.

Ebay Lexus Dealer
wow how were you able to get all 3 for 295??? the spoiler and pedals are already more than 295...

Quick Reply: 2IS Sunshield Recommendation (merged threads)