Almost had an accident in the IS yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 05:44 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Angry Almost had an accident in the IS yesterday

Well yesterday was the 1st real close call I've had in the IS350 since I got it. I was on my way home from the dog park and coming up a divided 4 lane road near my house. Well in the right lane there were cars backed up as they were all turning right into a shopping center. Well wouldn't you know it a guy leaving the shopping center decides to take a risk and blindly jump out of the shopping center and try crossing the lanes to get into the other 2 lanes that go in the opposite direction. As he tries to do this he is literally yards in front of me and I immediately slam my brakes. As I do this I'm looking ahead toward the direction I would like to go without hitting the now stopped car which is half way in my lane. I was already doing a good 45mph and there was no way I could have stopped in time. Somehow be it sure luck, driving skill, VDIM or an act of god I was able to steer the car while under full braking and eyes half closed around this guy and make it out without a single scratch. My poor dog on the other hand was in the back seat in his hammock and was thrown against the rear of my passenger front seat then thrown left to my driver side rear door then back again to his spot behind the passenger seat. I apologized to my poor dog (charlie) and he was so freaked out and not sure if I was going to hit the brakes again or not he looked as if he was supporting my back seat as he was propped up hard against it.
Attached Thumbnails Almost had an accident in the IS yesterday-close.jpg  

Last edited by caymandive; 07-10-06 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-10-06, 05:55 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm sooooo glad you were okay. Thanks for the diagram! Poor Charlie could have gone through the glass window. Do they have a seatbelt on that hammock he sits in???
Old 07-10-06, 05:57 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Poor Charlie... and poor you... nothing worse than ignorant mall drivers...

Good to hear that both the car and everyone inside it got away without a scratch.
Old 07-10-06, 06:10 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

There is no way I can see locking the dog in via a type of seat belt. The dog is a good 70lbs and the hammock is designed to protect the dog from hitting the seat and falling to the floor or even from going between the 2 front seats. I did learn a lesson though out of this and that is to be very cautious when there is a potential for an idiot to jump out of a blind spot like that. Good ole defensive driving techniques I suppose.
Old 07-10-06, 06:56 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
I did learn a lesson though out of this and that is to be very cautious when there is a potential for an idiot to jump out of a blind spot like that. Good ole defensive driving techniques I suppose.
Absolutely. I take the stance out on the road >>> to never trust anybody. By default, I assume that everyone else is not paying attention, and use extra caution whenever necessary. Well, besides the fact that I don't care to get in an accident, I also usually have my 3 kids in the car, and live in FL where all the other drivers on the road aren't paying attention.
Old 07-10-06, 07:03 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was exactly how I got into my first accident. In my Dodge Stealth... back in 97. Some truck ran right into the side of the car.
Old 07-10-06, 07:04 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to hear that you and your dog are o.k.
Old 07-10-06, 08:42 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow man good to hear that you had quick reflexes and made it out with messing yourself up!
Old 07-10-06, 08:55 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear that luck was on your side that day. Just remember to drive safely, as 45mph can be pretty quick depending on the zone.