IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 05:16 AM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

Alright guys I have a troubling dilemma. And I need your advice.

I really am not happy with the color of my IS 350. I waited two weeks for BLACK on BLACK or a RED MATADOR without navigation, but when I went to pickup my BLACK on BLACK, there was a CRYSTAL WHITE with navigation that just looked so sweet and I knew then that I wanted the navigation. But after having it for a few months I think the color is not me. I think the color although it is gorgeous and easy to keep clean takes away from the sportiness of the car. Here are my choices to get out of this dilemma.

Which one do you think is the best choice?

1.) trade in car to Lexus dealership and get new one
2.) Sell car on autotrader or other venue
3.) Have car professionally painted (I like the blue found in the IS modification thread post #1)
4.) Sell car and buy a used one

I guess I am a perfect example that when making a purchase of this magnitude do not settle for nothing less than exactly what you want!
Old 07-09-06, 06:17 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if I'd categorize this as a "troubling dilemma". If it were me, I'd learn to like the color so I don't have to get my butt kicked on a trade in or private sale. Cars take their worst hit in value when you drive them off the lot.

It's your money, but there is absolutely no way you're going to come out on top on this one, and it doesn't make much financial sense to take a hit just to get a different color.

A quality repaint will be expensive, and may lower the value of your car, especially if you choose a non OEM color.
Old 07-09-06, 06:49 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by FITYSCENTS
I guess I am a perfect example that when making a purchase of this magnitude do not settle for nothing less than exactly what you want!
Funny, I had exactly the opposite experience. Originally want Smokey Granite Mica, and when I was ready to pull the trigger, I headed over to the dealer to purchase one they had listed in the new car inventory on their website as "in stock". Well, the SGM had been sold, but a Crystal White that had just been unloaded off the truck was screaming "buy me!", and I sucumbed. While I'm not a big fan of white cars, I think the 2IS looks awesome in this color. A few months after getting my car I saw an SGM 2IS parked at the mall, and you could see swirls and micromarring in the paint just like a black car. Made me so glad I decided to "settle".

Getting back to your situation though, if I truly felt I couldn't live with the color, I'd sell the car privately and buy a new one. A repaint is much less durable than the factory finish and will lower your resale value.
Old 07-09-06, 10:06 AM
srashid
Driver

Default Color choice mistake

Hey guys I am an RX owner but I like this forum because you guys are so active. Actually I love the IS and would have one except I am heavily into skiing so I need the SUV.

Anyway, I sympathize regarding ending up with a color you're not happy with. I did the same a year ago, and purchased a used Merc ML. It had all the options I wanted and was a great price, but it was in that metallic beige color. Although definitely not my preference it looked okay at the dealers so i bought it, but every time I walked up to the car for the next year the color annoyed me, so I got rid and bought the RX.

One thing though, do not have it repainted, it's the worst thing you can do, better to trade in and take a hit on depreciation.
Old 07-09-06, 10:11 AM
stevejenn1
Rookie

If you can afford it, make a trade or sell. You'll enjoy it much more if its what you want. I would wait a month or so to see if the color grows on you. But don't have it painted at all costs.
Old 07-09-06, 03:11 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

I appreciate the advice. I guess your right about the repaint decreasing value. People might assume it as in a accident. Well I think I will just bring it to the dealer to see what they would offer me on a trade and see if I can come out of this 2-3k down We'll see.
Old 07-09-06, 03:27 PM
yov6cam
Driver

II mean you did have it for a few months already, that's gonna make things more difficult.
Old 07-09-06, 03:33 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Didn't you create this exact thread about a week ago?
Old 07-09-06, 04:18 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

nope. It just hit me this last night
Old 07-09-06, 09:14 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have the car repainted a different color--I tried that on a used 300zx I owned--I went from red to black. Looked great until the paint started to chip and the red came through, it looked like crap. Can be done if you take it down to bare metal, but expensive to do right.

Rather than take a hit by trading at the dealer, why don't you advertise for a swap with someone who wants the color you have. You each get what you want--if you have several people involved in the swap, it is more likely to work.