IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 03:12 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay guys. I think everyone gets each others point of view. Time to drop the nav hack/lock out subject on this thread already and get back to the original topic. This is a courtesy warning to stay on topic and to get your point across without calling others names.
Old 11-19-06, 03:37 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone take apart the center console box yet and see if the plugs could be recessed more?
Old 11-19-06, 04:27 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey2007
I thnk its a flaw, just like the nav lockout!(regardless of why they say its there, i don;t like it, and it diminishes my overall experience with the car, which was at 100% and now and 98% satisified!!

I wouldn't put up with a car that only satisfies me 98% of the time. Hey daddy.......I want a different car.........please..I'll even clean my room!!

BTW: the nav lockout in not a flaw...its to protect people (perhaps like you) from killing yourself and others (perhaps like me) Thanks Lexus.....I appreciate your thinking on this one...
Old 11-19-06, 07:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

This is the most likely reason Lexus chooses to lockout these features, from the California Vehicle Code:
27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when installed in a vehicle:
(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.
(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.
(5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.
So all this discussion about Lexus choosing the nobler path can cease. Their legal department chose a strict interpretation of this law. Note is says "...disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display..." We're lucky we can still control the climate functions while moving. Maybe that's part of why we still have the dedicated button row below the screen.

I don't much care for the orientation of the plug, and obviously it's done that way for a bigger reason than we're complaining about. In the Scion tC, the plug is perfectly oriented to allow plugging in the bulkiest of adapters, connecting to whatever device you desire, and closing the center console lid. While it doesn't have a pass through for the wire, it's still no big deal to close the lid with the wire being lightly pinched.

And Daddy didn't buy my car, I did. Daddy & Mommy never bought a car (or bike) for me.
Old 11-19-06, 07:43 PM
lexKimmel
Driver

[QUOTE=lobuxracer;2248271]I don't much care for the orientation of the plug, and obviously it's done that way for a bigger reason than we're complaining about. In the Scion tC, the plug is perfectly oriented to allow plugging in the bulkiest of adapters, connecting to whatever device you desire, and closing the center console lid. While it doesn't have a pass through for the wire, it's still no big deal to close the lid with the wire being lightly pinched.

the wire pinching suck i went through 3 of them. (wires)
Old 11-19-06, 07:50 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Its not a design flaw....Its for the IPOD, that way you can plug it in the aux and charge it at the same time. You will notice when you charge it and have it playing at the same time it will make a whistling sound.

That is a design flaw. FYI you can fix it, though it should have been implemented right in the first place. If this was the first iPod/line-in system on the market, Lexus would have an excuse. They don't.

This fixes the problem... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ibjf3o1...op&i=127SNI135

Ground loop isolator.

Rgarding the plug, just get a 90 degree car adaptor from RadioShack.
Old 11-19-06, 08:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is the most likely reason Lexus chooses to lockout these features, from the California Vehicle Code:

So all this discussion about Lexus choosing the nobler path can cease. Their legal department chose a strict interpretation of this law. Note is says "...disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display..." We're lucky we can still control the climate functions while moving. Maybe that's part of why we still have the dedicated button row below the screen.

I don't much care for the orientation of the plug, and obviously it's done that way for a bigger reason than we're complaining about. In the Scion tC, the plug is perfectly oriented to allow plugging in the bulkiest of adapters, connecting to whatever device you desire, and closing the center console lid. While it doesn't have a pass through for the wire, it's still no big deal to close the lid with the wire being lightly pinched.

And Daddy didn't buy my car, I did. Daddy & Mommy never bought a car (or bike) for me.

Thank you for posting that. Anyone who reads this section of the code may need to read it over a couple of times but it clearly says that a GPS receiver will exempt you from all of section 27602 if the GPS receiver that doubles as video equipment is, when in motion, locked out from anything and everything but as a visual display as directed in 27602(b)(5). This applies to 2IS, Nav, ML.

It's a somewhat poorly written statue. Because if your GPS receiver is only GPS and not a video display (2IS, Nav, no ML), 27602(b)(2) alone will exempt you from all of section 27602 and there will be no need to lock out anything as directed in 27602(b)(5).

Maybe that's why Acura Nav (non-video) can get away with it.

Check your state law.
Old 11-19-06, 08:26 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a new car charger for my cell phone, hopefully it will fit in the console with the lid closed, I ordered the "Monster Mobile Ultra-Low Profile Vehicle Power Adapter for Motorola RAZR V3, A780, and Blackberry" So hopefully that will solve that. I regret bringing up the NAV lockout in this thread, ohhwell, sue me, i'm new here. As for the onslaught of posts about my opinions, I think I presented them fairly without looking like some jerk, or by belittling anyone.

It would be a good idea to review the post in the main room titled"ALL 2IS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in the 2 Gen IS forum"

Last edited by Mikey2007; 11-19-06 at 08:33 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-19-06, 09:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Okay guys. I think everyone gets each others point of view. Time to drop the nav hack/lock out subject on this thread already and get back to the original topic. This is a courtesy warning to stay on topic and to get your point across without calling others names.
Dan, a moderator made a simple request in this thread to make your point without name calling. Please pay attention to their requests in the future.... while humorous, your post was needlessly insulting and detrimental to the sense of community on our forum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247192

I see you've posted that "you're in" on that thread, please live up to your word.

Originally Posted by Gtidan
I wouldn't put up with a car that only satisfies me 98% of the time. Hey daddy.......I want a different car.........please..I'll even clean my room!!

BTW: the nav lockout in not a flaw...its to protect people (perhaps like you) from killing yourself and others (perhaps like me) Thanks Lexus.....I appreciate your thinking on this one...
PM me rather than post in the thread if you care to respond please.
Old 11-20-06, 06:05 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret bringing up the NAV lockout in this thread, ohhwell, sue me, i'm new here. As for the onslaught of posts about my opinions, I think I presented them fairly without looking like some jerk, or by belittling anyone.

It would be a good idea to review the post in the main room titled"ALL 2IS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in the 2 Gen IS 0
forum"
You did. It just seems odd (to me at least) to flame your car for being only 98% enjoyable. I'm sure that GM or Ford would be thrilled if their owners would be just 80% happy. Perhaps it was just me at the time but I thought your comment came across as being from someone spoiled and use to getting whatever they want.

I did review the post as you suggested and I apologize to you if I raised your hackles
Old 11-21-06, 07:38 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Monster Mobile Ultra-Low Profile Vehicle Power Adapter for Motorola RAZR V3, A780, an

I ordered a new car charger for my cell phone, hopefully it will fit in the console with the lid closed, I ordered the "Monster Mobile Ultra-Low Profile Vehicle Power Adapter for Motorola RAZR V3, A780, and Blackberry" "
That charger came in and it fits fine in the glove box with the arm rest closed. It has right angle plug on the phone and the cigarette lighter ends.

Last edited by Mikey2007; 11-21-06 at 07:39 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-22-06, 09:13 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

That charger came in and it fits fine in the glove box with the arm rest closed. It has right angle plug on the phone and the cigarette lighter ends.
Thanks for the information. I'm going to order one ASAP.