IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Missed Opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 12:17 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missed Opportunity

After depositing my money on May 30th, i'm still waiting for the car. Appearantly breakwater blue metallic is an underproduced color for the western region. 1 car for every 3 dealers. One family got theirs in early june, the next available unit is coming july 4th, however, the factory is shipping it with NAV installed. My dealer couldn't "throw in" the NAV so i could have a car sooner rather than later. So now i'm just waiting again, which i don't mind.

I'd take the NAV, but it's no use to me being in the dash. Why don't manufacturers make it removable so we can use them where we really don't know where we're going, which is off a road. Sure there might be cool hacks etc. but i declined for the extra $2400.

....this is a IS250/BBM/ash int./lux pkg. that i'm waiting for. pics will definately come when it arrives.
Old 06-28-06, 05:14 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's no use to you and that's the reason manufacturers make it an OPTION.

Removable would mean the unit is more easily stolen than the HIDs on 2nd gen Acura TL's...

I'm wondering what the purpose of this post is if you don't mind the waiting though...
Old 06-28-06, 07:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The wait can be difficult and annoying, but you'll notice that a lot of people on this forum waited patiently for their cars to arrive.

I'm actually one of the longest "waiters." I special ordered my car in August 2005 and did not get my car (by choice) until February 2006. Yup, that took more than 6 months!

Have you thought about doing a special order? You could have ordered the exact car you wanted...
Old 06-28-06, 07:51 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

If you have the NAV option and you know where you're going, you simply don't use it. I've done it many times, and it works like a charm. Never did the thought "man, I really wish this was removable because I know where i'm going" cross my mind. Not to mention that the screen serves multiple purposes besides nav. The center concole would also look quite unappealing with a big cavaty right in the middle.
Old 06-28-06, 08:18 AM
LaRock
Rookie

Once you go Nav, you'll never go back. You can use it to find shortcuts while sitting in traffic. Or if you are out of state and get hurt, have it find the closest hospital.. etc. I sometimes drive and not know where I'm going, to check out an area, knowing Nav will lead me back home if I'm completely lost.

No more having to read maps while you are driving to drive either

While $2400 is a little expensive for Nav.. .since you can get aftermarket for like $500-$1500... built into the dash doesn't distract from the looks of the interior an aftermarket solution would.
Old 06-28-06, 08:30 AM
ciparis
Rookie

No wonder I have yet to see another Breakwater Blue in my driving around the Bay Area. And to think I found mine just sitting on the dealer's lot with 13 miles on it (nav, prem, sterling). Fantastic color for this car... distinguished.
Old 06-28-06, 10:37 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

to me... the nav is worth it just for the back up camera and bluetooth capabilities.
Old 06-29-06, 12:11 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

yang, yes, i know why it is an OPTION, because some may not need it. and to build profit back into the car. i highly doubt if someone stole your NAV system that they would be able to use it in their car, especially if it's a non-lexus. so it might not be like the HID's on your TL where you can use them in many different cars. on top of that HID are on the exterior and the NAV is inside the car. to answer you on why i posted this message, i did it to serve the non-lexus folk, who troll these forums jsut as i did before i joined. such information is good because if timing is critical in their purchase, they may want to know just what they are getting into. i wanted to stay away from the whining and griping that others had about their dealer not having a car for them. i hope you come back to lexus soon.

philip, you must wake up early man! not sure what color your interior is, did they have black when you ordered yours? when i called longo, went to see south bay, and santa monica, they all seemed that the world would come to an end if i made a special order. i was met with "no discounts" and they have to stop the whole plant jsut to make yours", so i was a little turned off to the idea of getting exactly what i want! HAH! go figure. actually, you have a 350, so your available options must have been different.

yea, i like the idea of shortcuts to avoid traffic, but i saw a GA response, no one from CA. i wonder................. does GA have those annoying SPEED HUMPS placed 30 feet apart in all the appropriate shortcuts? any socali person knows what i'm talking about i would think. so it's no use trying to find a short cut here. plus so many of the roads are closed in west LA due to construction, tell me that the NAV knows which roads are closed, and when???

let's see, my special order would be:
basic LUX pkg WITHOUT wood trim
back-up camera with NO NAV (but NAV style in dash LCD)
HID's, with AFS
tilt down mirror
illuminated scuff plates
radar cruise control
rear sunshade
wrap it in ash, and paint it breakwater blue, and we're set.

(let's see who's the first to say i should just go for a 350......)
Old 06-29-06, 12:52 AM
flyfl1pguy

Which dealer in CA. are you talking about? I haven't even seen BBM on the road yet. . .
Old 06-29-06, 01:02 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i'm on deposit with lexus of santa monica. i visited longo and south bay lexus, torrance, and personally, wasn't impressed. once i talked to AAA, they told me to talk to fleet at santa monica. closed the sale in 2 hours with a nice test drive even on the 10 fwy. they also are now offering a program called tires for life. free tire replacement, and rim replacement (!) for 5 years. cost up front: $1250. pays off prolly in one year... unless LA gets their act together on paving some roads......
Old 06-29-06, 01:05 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

philip has a BBM. but looks like he's mostly south of the 105. i'm north of the 105 and west of the 110. don't see many BBM's only 2 in the last 6 months. like i said. 1 BBM for every 3 dealers in the western region. the color matches the curves/angles of the car. much better than the old camry's or those similar color saturns. ick! closest would of course be the tC color....
Old 06-29-06, 01:44 AM
flyfl1pguy

What colors do they have on their lots? Im gonna try to head out to GLENDALE, Thousand oaks this weekend to check out some inventory. Maybe even LONGO too. . .
Old 06-29-06, 08:43 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

santa monica and longo should get the most cars. next week is the next shipment, and they are getting the main colors. the 2 grey's, matador, black onyx and the 2 whites..... call ahead, and they will know exactly what they have, since the car is so hot. just make sure that it's available, because it may be at the lot, but on hold for someone else.......
Old 06-29-06, 09:08 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep having a feeling that you're from Hawaii and not CA...

As for your purpose, the only part visible to you from the navigation system would be the screen, which you want... So it actually wouldn't matter if it's removable for you because it won't change the appearance of your interior. The only reason I could really think of to remove it is to save a few pounds when you race... But who am I kidding... As for the whole TL HID thing I was using it to state if it's easily removable then it's easily stolen. You might be right that no one would steal it since there is no application *yet* for it but who knew about the HID's until a few years later?

Anyways good luck on your wait and yes I'm coming back to Lexus soon... Once I get back in the country that is.
Old 06-29-06, 09:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hapaboy
philip, you must wake up early man! not sure what color your interior is, did they have black when you ordered yours? when i called longo, went to see south bay, and santa monica, they all seemed that the world would come to an end if i made a special order. i was met with "no discounts" and they have to stop the whole plant jutt to make yours
Actually, I use my motorcycle to go to work, so the commute is only 30 minutes. It's 75 minutes in the car... And by the way, I have a black interior...

As for the Special Orders, it is quite likely that your discount won't be as much as one on the dealer lot, but like any car, the price is still negotiable. You just need to find the right dealer who's willing to work for you, not let you work for them. You can no longer Special Order the 2006, so you may have to wait until August to Special Order a 2007, which means you won't get that car by November or December. I don't know if you want or can wait that long, but that would be one hell of a Christmas gift!!!

Keep me informed of the progress. I haven't seen a BWB on any dealer lot (I frequent Cerritos, South Bay, and Longo), but they're out there...

Quick Reply: Missed Opportunity