IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Old 01-23-13, 01:58 PM
mixa86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on your area you live in.... if you tint the rear windows not to heavy dark and tint you front lighter, i would say you would get away with your tints, as long as the officers can see you and when/if you get pulled over, lower all your windows and turn on all your interior lights / kill ignition. The safer they feel approaching u the less **** they will give u.
Old 01-23-13, 05:22 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Okay, well thats the thing in BC we're technically not allowed to have ANY tint in the driver and passenger side windows. But the rear windows can be as dark as I want it. So if I were to get only the rear windows done (thinking about 20% on the side windows and 35% on the rear window) would it look weird to only have the rear windows tinted and the front 2 clear? Or should I get 50%(or what ever is lightest) in the fronts, I've heard that you usually don't get get in trouble for that. Is it worth it?
Old 01-23-13, 05:26 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the law on the front windshield being tinted? I did my car at 35% on all windows and decided it wasn't dark enough for me. I tinted the front windshield 50% and it makes the rest of the car look like it's 20%, not to mention people can't see who's driving when they try to look in the car in the afternoon. Visibility is perfect when looking out the front, it's just that cutting half of the light that comes in the large front windshield makes a huge difference in the overall appearance.
Old 01-23-13, 05:30 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Do it! Cops don't expect the front to be tinted. If I roll up on one, I just roll my front windows down and everything looks normal.....

Name:  DSC02382.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  298.4 KB
Old 01-23-13, 06:00 PM
ISmak4
Driver

^^ Is that 35% all around?
Any tint other than "out of the factory" tint is illegal anywhere in front of the driver.

I really want to now haha. Even if its 50% I think it'll make a big enough difference compared to no tint in the front at all...

Does anyone have pictures of the rear windows tinted but not the front?
Old 01-23-13, 06:03 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is 35% (totally legal) on the fronts, rears and back glass. The 50% tint on the front windshield is what makes it look so dark.
Old 01-23-13, 07:36 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Oh I see I see. Hmm... I'll probably do 20-25% on the sides and 35% on the back. Maybe 50's in the front some other day lol.

Thanks.

If anyone has any pics of tint on the rear and no tint on the front windows, please post it!!
Old 01-23-13, 08:05 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

I Have 17% Front.. 10% Back... And A Nice Little Eye Doctor's Note..

Legal Limit In Kansas is 35% All Around.
Old 01-23-13, 08:37 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

I have 35% in the rears and 50% in the front. The fronts have just enough tint for my taste with my black interior.

Probably next time I will go with 35% all around.
Old 01-23-13, 08:39 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Look in here. This was started in 2006. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pics-here.html
Old 01-23-13, 08:43 PM
felixt
Rookie

I'm in BC as well and I had a couple of friends who had front tint and all gotten pulled over and had to remove it afterwards.

They had tints from the lightest to the darkest and still had to get it removed after being pulled over so it's your call. I've also heard others who never gotten any trouble from police for their front tint so I guess its all luck lol
Old 01-23-13, 09:12 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Originally Posted by felixt
I'm in BC as well and I had a couple of friends who had front tint and all gotten pulled over and had to remove it afterwards.

They had tints from the lightest to the darkest and still had to get it removed after being pulled over so it's your call. I've also heard others who never gotten any trouble from police for their front tint so I guess its all luck lol
Where did they get pulled over? Lower mainland or further up? My friend has his e90 tinted 50 in the front and 20 in the rears and said he's never been pulled over.
Old 01-23-13, 09:54 PM
felixt
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISmak4
Where did they get pulled over? Lower mainland or further up? My friend has his e90 tinted 50 in the front and 20 in the rears and said he's never been pulled over.
I live in Coquitlam, but I had a couple of friends that gotten pulled over, I'm assuming in the lower mainland.

1 friend had a civic coupe that had a light factory tint from Honda when he got the car and he got pulled over and was removed when he got pulled over.

another friend had a limo vip tint in the front in his 325i and he got pulled over within 3 months

another guy I know of had a ralliart with light tint and the same thing happened to him.

It's all luck, some cops care and some don't. I think its similar to not having a front plate
Old 01-23-13, 10:08 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

I wish I could tint my IS250 like my toyota Rav4 that is in a different country.
Old 01-23-13, 10:25 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Originally Posted by felixt
I live in Coquitlam, but I had a couple of friends that gotten pulled over, I'm assuming in the lower mainland.

1 friend had a civic coupe that had a light factory tint from Honda when he got the car and he got pulled over and was removed when he got pulled over.

another friend had a limo vip tint in the front in his 325i and he got pulled over within 3 months

another guy I know of had a ralliart with light tint and the same thing happened to him.

It's all luck, some cops care and some don't. I think its similar to not having a front plate
Haha limo tint on an BMW in the lower mainland is just asking for trouble...

Yeah that's true it's all about how the cops feeling that day.

I'll probably start off with the rears tinted and see if I really get noticed or anything by the cops/pulled over for whatever reason, if not by summer I'll get the fronts tinted too.

Sometimes I wish our vehicle regulations weren't so strict

Thanks for a help guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!