IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taking The Mystery Out of Fog Light Bulb DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 10:21 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuspdx
This is the yellow I put in it. (No, the blue bulbs you see in this pic, in the packaging is not the yellow bulbs just the packaging for the yellow bulbs)
It appears that they are now out of the 9006 bulbs Just as I was going to purchase
Old 01-19-07, 11:17 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jurutera
i got the Phillips bulbs and it has arating of 60Watts on it. It works fine but the bulb is hot from the moment its switched on. I nearly bunrt my finger just touching the fogligt casing. Isthis rating too high and will it damage the foglight?There is the MTEC bulbs which goes on 55Watts and is way cheaper, shud i use that?

Thanks
I'm more inclined to say that the 60 watt bulb would work just fine. Its not like it was an 80-100 watt bulb. Halogen bulbs normally run hot anyway. If you want compare them with the factory one on one side and put your 60 watt bullb on the other side and see if the 5 watts makes a difference in the heat it puts out. Good luck. Sorry I did not reply sooner.

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
It appears that they are now out of the 9006 bulbs Just as I was going to purchase
Sorry to hear that. You can try searching the internet. I'm sure someone else sells them somewhere. Good luck.

-Will
Old 01-19-07, 11:50 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98

Sorry to hear that. You can try searching the internet. I'm sure someone else sells them somewhere. Good luck.

-Will
Thanks.

I actually found a set of 9006's 55w yellow's at www.eautoworks.com Price was good and $6 for shipping isn't that bad...
Old 01-19-07, 12:03 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
Thanks.

I actually found a set of 9006's 55w yellow's at www.eautoworks.com Price was good and $6 for shipping isn't that bad...

Glad you found some. Post some pics here when you get them in.

-Will
Old 01-26-07, 06:09 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

i did this mod tonight and it really wasnt that bad... i replaced the stock fogs with hoen xenonmatch and they definitely look a lot better! it's a very close match to the OEM hids.. took me about 30 minutes. i ended going through the fender liner on both sides bc the access hole for the drivers side was pretty tight.. :/ thanks for a helpful and detailed DIY!!!
Old 01-26-07, 09:56 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by taylorjste
i did this mod tonight and it really wasnt that bad... i replaced the stock fogs with hoen xenonmatch and they definitely look a lot better! it's a very close match to the OEM hids.. took me about 30 minutes. i ended going through the fender liner on both sides bc the access hole for the drivers side was pretty tight.. :/ thanks for a helpful and detailed DIY!!!
Glad this helped you. I've said all along that this whole thing would take 30 min. tops. Please post up some pics so we can see.
-Will
Old 02-13-07, 02:51 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Im havin trouble guys. I installed my PIAA Hyper Yellow Fogs today, but wen i stood back and looked at them, the drivers side looks brighter than the passenger side. What does that mean? Last time wen i had my 6000k fogs professionally put in, the same problem came up, but they fixed it. I dont know how they did, but do any of you know how?
Old 02-13-07, 04:42 PM
euro.r
Driver

^Maybe your bulb alignment in the socket is off. You may want to try re-seating the bulb. I looked at the alignment through the lens of the foglight to make sure it lines up straight. Also, when you turn the fogs on they should display a similar pattern on the ground.

Great instructions, took about 30 minutes since the working area is a bit cramped even for small hands like mine. I'm also running the PIAA hyper yellow.
Old 02-14-07, 12:45 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by euro.r
^Maybe your bulb alignment in the socket is off. You may want to try re-seating the bulb. I looked at the alignment through the lens of the foglight to make sure it lines up straight. Also, when you turn the fogs on they should display a similar pattern on the ground.

Great instructions, took about 30 minutes since the working area is a bit cramped even for small hands like mine. I'm also running the PIAA hyper yellow.

I could have sworn i put them in right, but i'll check tomorrow. thanx
Old 02-14-07, 01:21 AM
TheSyndica
Driver

can someone link me to a site where i can buy this at? None of the websites above have them in stock. Thanks.
Old 02-14-07, 04:45 PM
Drelicious
Driver

How do i take the clips off the fenders
Old 02-15-07, 09:56 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

DELETED, found the info. I was looking for...
Old 04-18-07, 04:03 PM
wushuboy
Driver

can someone take pics of they piaa hyper yellows? I'd like to compare them to the luminics
Old 05-02-07, 05:00 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Uhhhh.... Should these be so hot...?

Hey those of you with stock fog lights... I just installed the Luminics 9006 12V 55W->130W 5150K Ultra White bulbs and they are really hot after about 5 minutes. So hot that I can NOT touch the outer fog light lense (the clear plastic facing forward). Is that normal even on the stock fog lights? Someone try it for me. Leave them on for 5-10 minutes and tell me if they are too hot to touch.

UPDATE: Yea the stock ones are just as hot. I put one side back in and they are way hot to the touch too. I guess the plastic housing is made to handle that sort of heat.

Also I have attached a pic from after the install. Camera does not give the most accurate colors, but its an idea. I like the way it looks a lot. Might not do the rvinyl light blue overlays after all.
Attached Thumbnails Taking The Mystery Out of Fog Light Bulb DIY-small-dsc01976.jpg  

Last edited by ben_r_; 05-02-07 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-02-07, 05:50 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

I just ordered some HID White 9005 and 9006 Platinum Series bulbs from www.plasmaglow.com - 10 year unconditional guarantee. Should be in this week so I'll take a pic w/finished.

Quick Reply: Taking The Mystery Out of Fog Light Bulb DIY