IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My rims =/

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 01:00 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexy250
rando my tires are 245 30 20 in the back and 225 30 in the fronts but my rims are a little wider than stocks so thats why the tires stretch a little..but fairly even in the front and back was hard to figure out what tires were gonna stretch the same since different widths on the front and back.
Please explain the statement above; what do you mean. The stock rims and tires on the ISXXX are 17-18's right? What does this have to do with you stretching your 20" tires?
Old 06-27-06, 01:05 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rhunt1
Priors: '01 C320 lowered on 19's, '98 XK8 coupe lowered on 20's,
'97 850R lowered on 18's with 290HP, '00 manual Maxima SE lowered,
'95 G35t manual on 15's, and others...
rhunt1 - Who makes the G35t; do you have any pictures of it?
Old 06-27-06, 05:14 AM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chi-town
Please explain the statement above; what do you mean. The stock rims and tires on the ISXXX are 17-18's right? What does this have to do with you stretching your 20" tires?
umm my rims are 20 inch and stretching is a whole new thing with tires....it doesnt quite exactly fit my rim what happens is they pull off the rim leaving the lip and edge sticking out a little and most vip cars do it...im not sure if thats what your asking but yea....basically it looks pimp from a car trailing you cause your rims are flush with your fenders and they can see em...idk look into vips cars if you wanna learn about stretching. =P
Old 06-28-06, 01:11 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexy250
umm my rims are 20 inch and stretching is a whole new thing with tires....it doesnt quite exactly fit my rim what happens is they pull off the rim leaving the lip and edge sticking out a little and most vip cars do it...im not sure if thats what your asking but yea....basically it looks pimp from a car trailing you cause your rims are flush with your fenders and they can see em...idk look into vips cars if you wanna learn about stretching. =P
Thanks for the detailed explaination... , I still don't get it. However, not trying to be a wiseass, but is this safe?

As you can see, VIP knowledge is not my expertise. I've seen some pretty sick VIP cars, but I never knew that stretching of the tire was how it was accomplished.
Old 06-28-06, 05:46 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

And why do you want to do that? Just hope you don't get too close to a curb or go fast around corners, because you could be looking at a scratched rim or your tire coming off your wheels and then your car will not look pimp at all.
Old 06-28-06, 05:54 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chi-town
Thanks for the detailed explaination... , I still don't get it. However, not trying to be a wiseass, but is this safe?

As you can see, VIP knowledge is not my expertise. I've seen some pretty sick VIP cars, but I never knew that stretching of the tire was how it was accomplished.
No, that practice is not safe at all. And I've been involved with auto shows for a while now, but I haven't seen a VIP car with smaller-than-required tires yet. What I have seen however, is people who buy tires who are just wide enough for the wheels or the tires don't have a rim edge protector and the edge of the wheel sticks out a bit.... it doesn't look good at all but to each their own...
Old 06-28-06, 07:54 AM
rhunt1
Driver School Candidate

Chi-town: Sorry, typo. Was a G20t.
Old 06-28-06, 08:15 AM
RCPiercy
Driver

Originally Posted by Alex350
No, that practice is not safe at all. And I've been involved with auto shows for a while now, but I haven't seen a VIP car with smaller-than-required tires yet. What I have seen however, is people who buy tires who are just wide enough for the wheels or the tires don't have a rim edge protector and the edge of the wheel sticks out a bit.... it doesn't look good at all but to each their own...
This is why I will get Falkens with the rim guard when I get my car. Would rather have a little less pimp and protect my wheels from ugly curb rash. Right now I have an Infiniti Qx4 with 18" chrome wheels. I've had these wheels for 3 years and thanks to always using Falkens, I have absolutely no imperfections in the chrome.
Old 06-28-06, 08:30 AM
rhunt1
Driver School Candidate

I personally don't like this so-called pimp look. In fact, it's common to get smaller than recommended tires when taking advantage of cheap leader ads for wheel/tire packages. Thus, this seems cheap to me. Having your wheel stick out from the tire looks lame to me, plus like has been said it obviously has drawbacks when it comes to handling, safety, and wheel protection. I prefer to get the coolest looking tire in the right size and just try to stay away from curbs ... but speaking of Falken's, I just ordered my staggered 19's with the new Falken 452's. My last sets were BFG KDW2, ContiSport2, Toyo T1-S, Sumitomo HTR Z II, many others, and have Nitto 420S on my Subie SUV. Have had Falken's before though - good tires. Also like Hankook Ventus for the money. The T1-S were awesome & tough looking but horrible treadwear and noise. They have been replaced with the new T1-R which I hear is a lot better, although I don't like the look. Other than those, I've been happy with all of my other tire choices.
Old 06-29-06, 12:13 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

4200 miles on your car already? that's a lot for oahu i think.
Old 06-30-06, 03:11 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

wow such negative remarks towards vip style cars and im sorry but they do too stretch the tires to the guy who said they dont...because the tire pulls from the rims edge so that it can mount flush when they drop it with the fender. you really dont know too much about vip do you. and like he said it isnt too safe i mean daily driving no problem just dont hit potholes....and curbing rims do you guys not have eyes? its called look and feel...u guys must be sorry drivers with rims =P...lol hapaboy yes tahts a lot of miles sorta kinda hahah =/

Last edited by lexy250; 06-30-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 03:12 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

and on another note my tires arent cheap =/
Old 06-30-06, 03:15 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

haters gonna hate cause they car looks like everyone elses in the world buying the same rims doing the same thing laugh*
Old 06-30-06, 06:23 PM
ISmojo
Driver School Candidate

Default Stop the "hate"

lol no one's "hatin" on you my friend, just stating their opinion. Sure most people choose to do the safe thing and find a tire that fits properly for safety/performance being as how the car is a "sport/luxury" car. To each his own, not everyone is into the pimp thing
Old 07-15-06, 11:05 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the blue .... this might be old but i have been searching this site to find out what i should stretch

I seen you posted you have 225/30/front and 245/30 do you mean 225/35 ? for the front or you meant what you meant ?

just trying to get a idea or what to buy ...

I have 19/8.5 and 19/10 and going to stretch

thanks James

Quick Reply: My rims =/