IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS350's first time at the strip...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 09:45 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
You beat an STI??? Sweeeet...but maybe he sucked at shifting? Cause that STI's 0-60 run is like 4.7/4.8 secs and it looks like you led the entire way...

Anyway, impressive! Here's to our IS's!!!
Turbo cars lose a ton of power when it's that hot out, that might explain
the slow STI times..
Old 06-24-06, 09:52 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't add a drop in filter after you add an intake...
Old 06-24-06, 10:02 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james6290
you can't add a drop in filter after you add an intake...
The Joe Z intake is just a replacement pipe from the airbox to the engine. It still uses the factory airbox.
Old 06-24-06, 10:16 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

when i went to the track back in january.. i made 6 runs in the is350.
1st run i left trac on from the start, did a 14.6x.
2nd through 6th runs, i took trac off (regular way) and also did trac off (permanently).. didn't see much of a difference between the two trac off methods.. because i was then consistently hitting 13.7s (thrice) through 13.8s (twice) all in a row.
Old 06-24-06, 10:22 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
2nd through 6th runs, i took trac off (regular way) and also did trac off (permanently).. didn't see much of a difference between the two trac off methods.. because i was then consistently hitting 13.7s (thrice) through 13.8s (twice) all in a row.
How hot was it when you did your runs?
Old 06-24-06, 10:26 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

There were about 5 different Subaru AWD cars there yesterday, I'd say only 2 of them knew how to launch their cars. The others were way too tentative on the launch and their times were slow as a result. Plus it was just too hot, the 93 temp was at the parking area away from the track, so I'd add a few degrees at the track itself.

Just ordered the Joe Z (Gunmetal with Blue fittings) and the Blitz filter - something to do after work this week when it shows up.

Last edited by CoasterG; 06-24-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-24-06, 10:32 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CoasterG
There were about 5 different Subaru AWD cars there yesterday, I'd say only 2 of them knew how to launch their cars. The others were way too tentative on the launch and their times were slow as a result. Plus it was just too hot, the 93 temp was at the parking area away from the track, so I'd add a few degrees at the track itself.
Where in Orlando is that track? How far off I-4?
Old 06-24-06, 10:34 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Pretty far off of I-4, if you take I-4 to 528 (aka the Beachline/Beeline) East and then exit at 520 (about 20 mi or so) then head North on 520 until it merges with 50, take 50W for about 1 mi and its right there.

Their website: http://www.speedworlddragway.com/
Old 06-24-06, 12:43 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Badman Forever

By you saying turning the trac off the "regular way" do you mean just pushing the trac off button? And by permanent the pedal dance?

What I want to know is if using the trac off button just as good as using the full vdim off trick for launching the car.
Old 06-24-06, 12:52 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
By you saying turning the trac off the "regular way" do you mean just pushing the trac off button? And by permanent the pedal dance?

What I want to know is if using the trac off button just as good as using the full vdim off trick for launching the car.
I haven't taken mine out to the track yet but accelerating hard on the street, it still feels like the engine cuts back power with only the button pushed. But with the foot dance, it "feels" faster. I'll go to the track next week and let you know for sure.
Old 06-24-06, 12:58 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
I haven't taken mine out to the track yet but accelerating hard on the street, it still feels like the engine cuts back power with only the button pushed. But with the foot dance, it "feels" faster. I'll go to the track next week and let you know for sure.

My thinking was that with regular mode on the car is much slower cuz the computer cuts down power to prevent wheelspin, but with trac off button it allows it to spin more so there must be more power going to the wheels right? I know it switches back on at 30 mph but that doesn't matter once the car has launched well and moving already. I'm not sure... If hitting the trac off button gives even slightly better times I'd use that more often instead of doing the whole dance routine all the time.
Old 06-24-06, 03:44 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I didn't try my pedal dance moves last night since it was my first time racing the car - next time I head out I'm going to turn off traction control and see how it goes.
Old 06-24-06, 11:25 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
My thinking was that with regular mode on the car is much slower cuz the computer cuts down power to prevent wheelspin, but with trac off button it allows it to spin more so there must be more power going to the wheels right? I know it switches back on at 30 mph but that doesn't matter once the car has launched well and moving already. I'm not sure... If hitting the trac off button gives even slightly better times I'd use that more often instead of doing the whole dance routine all the time.
Well, even with the trac button pressed, I can still feel the engine cutting back some power. Not as much as when the button isn't pressed but it doesn't feel as strong as when you do the foot dance.
Old 06-25-06, 06:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, even with the trac button pressed, I can still feel the engine cutting back some power. Not as much as when the button isn't pressed but it doesn't feel as strong as when you do the foot dance.
Yeah that traction off button is useless. Someone needs to convert that button so that it turns off the VDIM like the foot dance.
Old 07-23-06, 05:08 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Where in Orlando is that track? How far off I-4?

Its pretty far....do you ever go out to the track in Bradenton?

Quick Reply: My IS350's first time at the strip...