IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official Smart start owners Q&A thread

Old 08-09-11, 08:09 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Official Smart start owners Q&A thread

I wanted to make this thread for all those thinking about getting the smart start feature installed in their car or for those that have it and have questions about it.
Keep in mind that I never use the 5901 key fob. I only use the smart start app from the phone. The key fob stays at home.
I recently got a 5901 and smart start transferred out of my 350z and into my IS250. Now I was weary about it as I had heard and read horror stories about getting a smart start to play nice with a vehicle that has a push button start.

All is well except for the following:

-I can't just remote start the car and get in. It's complicated. If I remote start it with smart start phone and get in and place foot on brake the car dies. If I lock the car, then remote start, then unlock the car and do the same thing all is well.... Weird right? Anyone know how to fix?

-If I pop the trunk from smart start app while car is armed the alarm goes off. My 350z never did that.

-My installer told me we couldn't mount the valet/antenna box in the rear window as the wire was too short. Does anyone know of a way to length the wire?

-After a successful remote start my installer warned me that once I get in the car and shut the door I have 45 seconds to put my foot on the brake or the car would shut off. Anyone else have that issue?

-Unlike my 350z I cannot have the car on, stop at a fuel station, get out to grab some things, & lock the car while it's on. Anyone know how I can get that feature back?

-After I lock the car another pulse locks the car yet again... When I unlock the car I get two back to back pulses to unlock for a total of 3 unlocks... Anyone know what that's about? Same thing if I move the shifter from park to reverse (as I have it set to lock the car when shifting out of park) I get two pulses lock. Then when I put car in park I get the 3 pulses for unlock.

All in all a very clean install from what I can see. No crazy wires all over the place. The guy was very nice and helpful during the whole time I was there. There was a piece of my dash missing after the install but I think the shop is going to fix it. Time will tell. All in all I'm happy with the install.