IS Rear Space

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 03:00 AM
lexusbmwlr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Rear Space

Potential IS Buyer here.

I know i'll find out when I find the time to test drive it but..if you are bored and don't mind answering.

How tall are you, and how cramped is the rear space? Do your passengers complain. Damn if there's no room to move your legs forward in the back that's a huge bummer! Why doesn't lexus sacrifice the boot space and more rear seat space?
Old 06-20-06, 03:09 AM
AntLexus
Rookie

i am 5'8" and there is plenty of room for me and my passenger if their is only two of us...more than two is another story...

i took a road trip to atlantic city (about 3.5 hours from dc) with 4 girls and i would not hear the end of it during the ride, after the ride, etc etc about how cramped they were in the back...i even sacrificed my own space by moving my seat forward for the whole trip so they could have that little bit of extra space...and yes i was slightly uncomfortable but it was better than hearing the girl behind me complain more than she already did...i think it would be more comfortable if the back only had 2 passengers rather than 3 but its still a tight ride back there...

that was the only time ive had more than 4 back there and 95% of the time its either myself driving or myself and my girlfriend so i rarely am concerned about the rear space...if i cared about it i wouldnt have bought the car because its other features are much more appealing...maybe if i had a family or knew id always have a lot of passengers then i would have looked into another car..
Old 06-20-06, 04:07 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AntLexus
i took a road trip to atlantic city (about 3.5 hours from dc) with 4 girls and i would not hear the end of it during the ride, after the ride, etc etc about how cramped they were in the back...
How tall are they?
Old 06-20-06, 04:20 AM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Default space

I have two kids(3&1) that occasionally ride in my car. No problem there, except they occasionally kick my seats and leave scuff marks. I am 6 feet tall. I have had 4 adults in my car once and it was a little tight. But once I adjusted my seat from the pimp postion we were all fine.
Old 06-20-06, 04:55 AM
lexusbmwlr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the funny stories, haha. I only wished Lexus would listen to their IS consumers about this rear seat problem and make it as big as the AUDI A4. The Audi A4 rear is fine for me and I know it's slightly bigger than the IS.
Old 06-20-06, 05:08 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

We have 3 kids (only two of them have been in the rear seat at once), and they fit "adequately". But I have a feeling that adults would be pretty uncomforable back there. Another 2" of legroom would probably be a good thing.

Funny thing is, I owned an E46 330i, and while the exterior dimensions were smaller, there seemed to be slightly more room in the back seat.
Old 06-20-06, 05:38 AM
AntLexus
Rookie

How tall are they?
i'd say about 5'4" to 5'6"
Old 06-20-06, 06:39 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by AntLexus
i am 5'8" and there is plenty of room for me and my passenger if their is only two of us...more than two is another story...

i took a road trip to atlantic city (about 3.5 hours from dc) with 4 girls and i would not hear the end of it during the ride, after the ride, etc etc about how cramped they were in the back...i even sacrificed my own space by moving my seat forward for the whole trip so they could have that little bit of extra space...and yes i was slightly uncomfortable but it was better than hearing the girl behind me complain more than she already did...i think it would be more comfortable if the back only had 2 passengers rather than 3 but its still a tight ride back there...

that was the only time ive had more than 4 back there and 95% of the time its either myself driving or myself and my girlfriend so i rarely am concerned about the rear space...if i cared about it i wouldnt have bought the car because its other features are much more appealing...maybe if i had a family or knew id always have a lot of passengers then i would have looked into another car..

Looks like time to find new girls to chill with.... they should be happy to ride in style.. or tell them to drive their POS ...lol Just kidding IT is a bit small but i some times have fit 3 guys in the back all around 6 feet tall... but i wouldn't want to do a road trip like that
Old 06-20-06, 06:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alone vs. with passengers...

I'm 5'10", 200 lbs. Alone, I sit pretty low and back with the seat inclined well into the rear seats. People think that I look like I'm ready to sleep while driving. I have plenty of front headroom and legroom.

However, when I have passengers behind me, I move the seat forward, upward, and upright. I still have plenty of headroom and legroom, although it would not be my "comfortable position." Last night, as I drove, I had a friend in the front seat (5'9", 140 lbs) and two other people in the back (one is 5'10", 145 lbs; the other 5'8", 135 lbs). Everyone was seated comfortably with no complaints of being cramped. We drove together for about two hours into and out of L.A.

My opinion about the backseat: it's cramped compared to a lot of cars out there, especially when compared to the Camry or Accord. However, it is pretty damn comfortable for city driving, but would not suggest it for road trips.

Lexus will not increase the size of the rear seats in the near future, unless they come out with a sportscross version of the IS. Until then, if you need more room, that's what the GS350 is for. Otherwise, if you want more performance, the IS350 does the job well.
Old 06-20-06, 07:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I had a friend in the front seat (5'9", 140 lbs) and two other people in the back (one is 5'10", 145 lbs; the other 5'8", 135 lbs).
Wow, you sure know your passenger's vitals. Doctors scale in the garage? What was their blood pressure?
Old 06-20-06, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Wow, you sure know your passenger's vitals. Doctors scale in the garage? What was their blood pressure?
I'm a Physical Therapist. After a few years, I've learned how to eyeball it with great accuracy (like those people you see in carnivals that try to guess your weight and age).

They all had high blood pressure last night. (Lots of drinking and eating... )
Old 06-20-06, 08:51 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

the rear is acceptable for TWO people under 5'8", provided those in the front seat have similar build. Perfectly ok for kids, and much better than 2-doors such as G35c.
Old 06-20-06, 08:59 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
the rear is acceptable for TWO people under 5'8", provided those in the front seat have similar build. Perfectly ok for kids, and much better than 2-doors such as G35c.
I agree. I've had people in the back seat of my car about 4-5 times in the past 5 years so it's not an issue for me.
Old 06-20-06, 09:00 AM
tragic22
Rookie

I checked the interior space out at a dealership. I sat in the front seat and adjusted it appropriately for me and I then sat in the backseat and I felt completely comfortable. I'm not a tall guy, I'm only about 5-8 165 but I can say that their is ample space in the IS for two passengers in the front and two in the back to sit comfortably. Three in the back would be uncomfortable. In my opinion as long as you dont adjust your seats in the front like your lying down in bed the people behind should be ok.
The way i see it is if you have a big family dont get this get car!
On the other hand if you're a bachelor or you just have a girl/wife and maybe 1 or 2 kids there's nothing wrong with getting this car. If this is what you want then go for it. You shouldn't base what car you want to buy on the number and size of your friends. Its YOU'RE CAR!
Old 06-20-06, 12:22 PM
ISMaximus
Driver School Candidate

I am 5'11" with a fairly athletic build (185lbs) and when my wife is driving I can sit behind her comfortably and have about 2-3" between my knees and the back of the driver's seat. She is 5'4" and 125lbs.

We had my wife driving, my Mother-In-Law in the front passenger seat, my son behind her and me behind my wife. My son is 4 and still in a booster seat so he has plenty of room. Still, when I'm riding shotgun my son can reach the back of my seat with his feet if I have the passenger seat comfortably back.

This car is fine for a small family but don't plan on brining too much crap with you if you're going somewhere. We took the IS to Palm Springs last month (just my wife, my son and I) for 4 days and we had the trunk packed full of stuff.

Last edited by ISMaximus; 06-20-06 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: IS Rear Space