IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Sound System Owners Post Your Setup!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 09:18 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vApor21
that is wayyyyyy overpriced. the cleansweep can be bought online for $350 and i dont know how good Focal subs are, but my friend was able to get JL audio subs,amp, box, and installation all for $2300 (parts were $2000 and installation was $300).
Was it a custom made box? because $300 seems awfully cheap to make a box along with everything else.. The place i went to claimed that Focals were the best subs out right now, the price for 2 8"s were $450.. also the amps were all digital alpine amps, i think they were about
500 each... I don't think they overcharged me on the parts, just on the labor.. I def wouldnt spend more than $3,000.
Old 06-19-06, 09:27 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know whose car this is, but it was in the gallery and i thought it looked really nice.

That is SWEEEET!
Old 06-19-06, 09:29 AM
tuandang79
Driver

If you guys compare the focal subs with the JL audio subs.. It depends on how you want the sound of your bass.. Focal is basically good just enough to listen in the cabin with mild bass.. and not somethin ppl can hear from 2 blocks down the street. If you guys want power and alot of thumping.. JL audio is the way to go..
Old 06-19-06, 09:39 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
Was it a custom made box? because $300 seems awfully cheap to make a box along with everything else.. The place i went to claimed that Focals were the best subs out right now, the price for 2 8"s were $450.. also the amps were all digital alpine amps, i think they were about
500 each... I don't think they overcharged me on the parts, just on the labor.. I def wouldnt spend more than $3,000.

yeah it was.. he got it installed at ABT electronics.. a well-known store in the chicagoland
Old 06-19-06, 09:58 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

yeah it was.. he got it installed at ABT electronics.. a well-known store in the chicagoland
I wish i lived closer, I'd go check them out, did you hear his system? Was it a huge improvement or just a minor one?
Old 06-19-06, 10:03 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

to be honest.. he took it out after a week. he said the bass wayy too much for him and that he knew he would get sick of the massive bass after a month or so.. so he got his money back and went out to buy clothes..

he had 2 JL 10W6s hooked up to a JL 1000/1 amp. thats exactly what im gonna be getting soon in the future.
Old 06-19-06, 10:31 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

to be honest.. he took it out after a week. he said the bass wayy too much for him and that he knew he would get sick of the massive bass after a month or so.. so he got his money back and went out to buy clothes..

he had 2 JL 10W6s hooked up to a JL 1000/1 amp. thats exactly what im gonna be getting soon in the future.
Don't tell me they gave him all his money back?? Or did they just give him part of it?

What must of happened was the mids and highs were barely audible, next to the
bass, because If he didnt like it because the bass was too loud all he had to do
was not turn the volume up all the way
Old 06-19-06, 10:56 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pr0vakativ
hey cmusic do u have any pictures of ur deck in ur glove. because when i tried to relocate mines it wouldnt fit in there so what i ended up doing was pulling the whoel changer apart and only keeping the board that the harnesses are connected to. i then wrapped it in dynomat and stuck it under the passenger side bottom panel under the heater case with velcro. now i didnt lose my glove space but there is no way of me putting that board back in my changer! =(. i got most of my system installed already speakers and deck. i also took out the amp and placed my crossovers in place of it. ill post pictures when i install my trim panel around my deck. finished painting it today and will install sunday
I have not taken any pictures of the factory deck in the glovebox yet because I am not done with it yet. The back of the glovebox has two panels that pop out to allow the deck to go back father in. I also had to do some minor trimming of the remaining back glovebox wall to get the deck to fit. The deck is about 6" deep and the glovebox is about 4" deep. I thought about removing the circuit board like you did but I wanted to be able to put the whole stock audio system back in when I trade cars in the future.

Focal speakers are very nice. Even though I have not owned any Focal speakers I've heard many of them over the past 10 years. The sub prices seem to be around full retail, but fair for the quality of speaker you are buying. However there are several other brands of high quality subs that you might consider. I like the JL Audio 8W7 and 10W6v2, Alpine Type-X, Image Dynamics IDMAX, and several others. The key to getting good sound is to match the sub to the box and supply it with enough power.

The new Alpine PDX amps are really nice. $500 each is an OK price.

When I used my factory head unit I used just an AudioControl LC8 to combine the factroy amp's sub, woofer, and mid/tweeter outputs into one full range RCA ouput. I turned off the ASL on the factory head unit and I did not need a JL Audio Cleansweep. With the ASL turned off the factory eq curve is very mild. It sounded really good with my Boston Acoustics Z6 speakers with no additional eq adjustments.

Labor is difficult to judge. You can buy the best products but it will still sound bad if it is not installed and tuned correctly. To install and tuned correctly it takes knowlege and experience. Knowlege and experience demands a premium price. I still think the labor estimate is high. I would ask for pictures and references to other simular cars and systems before you agree on a price.
Old 06-19-06, 11:06 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmusic
When I used my factory head unit I used just an AudioControl LC8 to combine the factroy amp's sub, woofer, and mid/tweeter outputs into one full range RCA ouput. I turned off the ASL on the factory head unit and I did not need a JL Audio Cleansweep. With the ASL turned off the factory eq curve is very mild. It sounded really good with my Boston Acoustics Z6 speakers with no additional eq adjustments.
this part interests me.

I plan on adding 1 sub and 1 amp. Will the AudioControl LC6 be sufficient or is the LC8 needed? Can the JL CleanSweep be used in place of the LC6? Thanks for the input.
Old 06-19-06, 11:47 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by car_lost
this part interests me.

I plan on adding 1 sub and 1 amp. Will the AudioControl LC6 be sufficient or is the LC8 needed? Can the JL CleanSweep be used in place of the LC6? Thanks for the input.
I would just use a simple speaker to RCA line convertor on the Pink(+)/Blue(-) and Brown(+)/Green(-) speaker wires coming out of the factory amp to go to your aftermarket sub amp. In this instance I see no need to spend extra money for a LC6, LC8, or a Cleansweep.
Old 06-19-06, 11:58 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmusic
I would just use a simple speaker to RCA line convertor on the Pink(+)/Blue(-) and Brown(+)/Green(-) speaker wires coming out of the factory amp to go to your aftermarket sub amp. In this instance I see no need to spend extra money for a LC6, LC8, or a Cleansweep.
i'd like to get the most out of my set-up without going to an aftermarket headunit. with that said, would you still recommend that?
Old 06-19-06, 12:20 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by car_lost
i'd like to get the most out of my set-up without going to an aftermarket headunit. with that said, would you still recommend that?
The LC8 and LC6 are used for combining four to eight amplified channels to get a stereo full range RCA output. The Cleansweep is an equalizer that reverses the factroy eq settings. Since you just need to convert the two sub channels to RCA line level and the factory eq curve is essentially flat with the ASL turned off, neither is really needed for your intended sub/amp only install.

The LC6 is about $150 and the LC8 about $200. The Cleansweep is about $400. A good two channel speaker to RCA line level converter is about $20-30. Why spend the extra money for the other units if you don't need their features?
Old 06-19-06, 06:58 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Don't tell me they gave him all his money back?? Or did they just give him part of it?

What must of happened was the mids and highs were barely audible, next to the
bass, because If he didnt like it because the bass was too loud all he had to do
was not turn the volume up all the way

they fully refunded everything except the installation costs.
Old 06-22-06, 08:40 AM
myis
Driver School Candidate

running active set-up, still in progress...

front door tweeter: AVI sound 1" HF25T
front front mid bass: AVI sound 6.5" XL series
front door & rear dash soundproof: Celot Pink
subwoofer: AVI sound 8" SLS200 in box
Front amp: Genesis Profile4 series, 4CH x 50W@4ohm
Sub amp: Infinity ra5004 1CH x 450W@2ohm
speaker cables & RCA interconnects: Canare

will post more pics when set up is completed.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Sound System Owners Post Your Setup!-is-audio-amp.jpg  
Old 06-22-06, 08:42 AM
myis
Driver School Candidate

stock amp w line converters...
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Sound System Owners Post Your Setup!-is-audio-stockamp-w-line-conv.jpg  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sound System Owners Post Your Setup!