IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Black vs Granite

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 11:33 AM
VB250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the black looks great. i have the SGM and i love the way that it looks with the black interior.
Old 06-20-06, 01:25 PM
islandsnow
Driver

so is the black interior really that bad? i ordered a SGM with black interior and now thinking maybe i should have gotten the sterling. my current car has cashmere and its ok to take care of. starting to show some dirt and stuff, so i thought it was harder to take care a lighter interior color than a darker one. maybe you are right with the dust and stuff. i guess i'll soon find out. hope i don't regret it.

Originally Posted by Solomoan
I love the SGM exterior, and wish I'd have gone cashmere as it seems my black interior shows so much more dust etc. I have a frame of comparison as I had the cashmere leather interior on my GX 470, and liked it much better.

My SGM exterior has appeared darkish blue in the direct sunlight, Black or navy at night, and deep charcoal at dawn and sunset. It's a great color, and my favorite of all of my prior Lexus colors (black, silver and forest green).
Old 06-20-06, 01:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
so is the black interior really that bad?
Not really. The biggest problems you'll encounter with a black interior is warmer cabin temperature on hot days (which in Hawaii can be pretty often) and a dulling of texture surfaces if not maintained well. Imagine how a black car can get if it gets dirty: the same thing happens with a black interior. It get's dull, but it actually hides dirt well. Cashmere and sterling show off a bit more dirt, especially on the floor mats, but otherwise adds a nice two-tone look inside the car. Each has its own pros and cons...
Old 06-20-06, 01:55 PM
Alpha06
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I have the Black Onyx on black. And I'm loving it. I agree, it murder to keep clean, but when it's detailed, with my 18 inch chromed out rims, its the hottest on the road! Go for it!
Old 06-20-06, 03:22 PM
lexusbmwlr
Driver School Candidate

Is it really? I Saw SGM a lot in SOCAL and i had a close look at the exterior in the daytime. It was filthy and it showed......I don't think SGM or black would be any different if they're dirty. You could tell...probably silver is better to cover dirtiness of the car but SGM or black..i saw sgm and i could tell it was filthy..and it shows that the driver was filthy since he never washes it.
Old 06-20-06, 04:49 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusbmwlr
Is it really? I Saw SGM a lot in SOCAL and i had a close look at the exterior in the daytime. It was filthy and it showed......I don't think SGM or black would be any different if they're dirty. You could tell...probably silver is better to cover dirtiness of the car but SGM or black..i saw sgm and i could tell it was filthy..and it shows that the driver was filthy since he never washes it.
Sorry to break the news to you lexusbmwlr but if it rains my SGM gets dirty (due to all the construction in the area) and I wash my car weekly if not more.

Hate generalizations...

Going to Zaino it once my Llumar clear bra is totally dried out hopefully it'll help a bit, I know my Acura TL-S once Zaino'd resisted water spots and dirt came off easily.
Old 06-20-06, 04:51 PM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not really. The biggest problems you'll encounter with a black interior is warmer cabin temperature on hot days (which in Hawaii can be pretty often) and a dulling of texture surfaces if not maintained well. Imagine how a black car can get if it gets dirty: the same thing happens with a black interior. It get's dull, but it actually hides dirt well. Cashmere and sterling show off a bit more dirt, especially on the floor mats, but otherwise adds a nice two-tone look inside the car. Each has its own pros and cons...
yeah i realized the warmer cabin temps here in hawaii but i figure i'll just use the ventilated seats

i wish it was a/c in the seats but i know people have said to just have the a/c blow top and bottom and then run the air in the seats.

yeah i do like the two-tone look, nice contrast rather than all black. oh well, too late for me now so i'll have to live with the all black look. i do take care of my cars so i'm used to cleaning and such. kinda **** about that.
Old 06-20-06, 10:25 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sailing217
Considered the same SMG vs. BLk like you did. I saw the GS with SMG and by comparisons, really liked the SMG paint used by Toyota on the Scion TC. I was all over the place on comparisons...

IMO, SMG on the IS did not have enough metallic flake in the paint. I had them pull it right next to a GS on the lot and the GS had a tad more flake to it. It was too dull for me so I ended up picking the dull Black

Like said before, if you are certain about Cashmere interior, black is a great color combo, SMG is not. Blue with tan interior is hot too. Good luck.
Are you talking about Flint Mica? Scion Tc does not have SMG, but Flint Mica. I can't tell the difference between SMG and Flint Mica. Lexus has both of those colors on their vehicles.