IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3 weeks old and Scratches! Soft paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 10:51 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shouldve stuck with my usual white... but was pushed into going for the BOP... Dont get me wrong, I love the color... I just hate seeing defects so easily since Im such a perfectionist with everything
Old 06-15-06, 11:11 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uschardcor
^^ and you suposedly believe everything you are told
Their workshop is Toyota certified as their technicians are. The repaint job was done perfectly as far as i can see.
Old 06-15-06, 11:15 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aclarke
LOL seriously...
What's so funny, seriously?

How much $$$ did it cost to repaint the entire vehicle?
Approximately $600 per detail.

Whether the job was done through the dealer or not, repaint is repaint and it definately devalues the car.
It's not in the service book, at least i have not found it there.

People, stop attacking me. Deep scratches on the dark car really hurt, especially when the car is 2 months old.
Old 06-15-06, 11:17 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I really con't comprehend why people are so picky about swirls. They are a fact of life. Some colors hide them better than others, but there is no way you'll ever be able to eliminate them especially if you wash your car. Sure theres ways to minimize them, but it's really not realistic to expect no swirls on a daily driven car.

This holds true for every car. This isn't a Lexus problem, take a look at every automaker and you will quickly see the same results.
Old 06-15-06, 12:56 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crzcrz
People, stop attacking me. Deep scratches on the dark car really hurt, especially when the car is 2 months old.
Swirl marks are inevitable with dark colored cars. But with a good polish every 6 months or so, your car should look fine.

Deep scratches? Hmm, how deep are you talking? Could you feel them with your finger nail? If so, these don't just appear with normal wear and tear. Either there's been some really bad technique used in washing the car or someone has messed with the car.

In any event, I can't imaging repainting my whole car d/t some scratches. Most scratches will buff out. But if your car is a daily driver, scratches/swirls/dings will be almost unavoidable.
Old 06-15-06, 03:22 PM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Deep scratches? Hmm, how deep are you talking? Could you feel them with your finger nail? If so, these don't just appear with normal wear and tear. Either there's been some really bad technique used in washing the car or someone has messed with the car.

In any event, I can't imaging repainting my whole car d/t some scratches. Most scratches will buff out. But if your car is a daily driver, scratches/swirls/dings will be almost unavoidable.
Deep enough to see white grounding under the paint. It's probably coming from the car wash indeed, but I always notice it too late to complain.
Old 06-15-06, 04:42 PM
QSVeilside
Rookie

This isn't a Corolla folks.

After owning a show car, I learned to wash my cars with a BRAND spanking new foam sponge EVERY time.

I use the sponge from the last wash to clean the wheels for the next wash.

Keeps the paint AND wheels looking fresher for a buck more a wash.
Old 06-16-06, 08:23 AM
BN06
Rookie

Default Fyi . ..

Lexus rep is inspecting my paint next week. Not for depth but for flaws. Just FYI.
Old 06-17-06, 06:00 PM
iorchii
Driver School Candidate

sorry to say... but i agree with you guys. this car does scratch easily, very soft paint... i heard they use more layers on the coating of the paint to get the nice colors it comes in, causing the top layer to scratch easily. Just got my two scratches today on the freeway / highway.
I thought it was gonna be one scratch at first, because i heard the rock chip hit the side of my passenger door. But that rock chip hit my car twice, i think it bounced off the 1st time it hit my car and scratched it again the second time.

Old 06-17-06, 07:41 PM
iorchii
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I will be going to Meguiar's in July 15th, to see if anything can be done to decrease to noticablity of those scratches... The feeling of the scratch is more surface like(on the clear coat only), therefore i think i can apply some type of product to it, to loosen it a little bit.. Not sure though, gotta go check it out.
BTW, my car is SGM.
Old 06-18-06, 04:00 PM
drftsoarer
Driver

yea i own a smokey granite mica and i already have paint chips on the bumper and the hood!! damn rocks! im sure this is the same for any car lexus or not.
Old 06-18-06, 04:28 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jacsha
Looks like all the Smoky Granite Mica tend to chip easily.
2 of my friends got lots of chip on the hood, but my black oynx is ok so far

You can say that again. I have SGM and I am running out of solutions to get rid of the swirl marks. I always make sure that I use a super clean microfibre wash mit, polish, wax and the whole nine yard. Unfortunately, it never went away.
Old 06-20-06, 03:45 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

T-Rex, try MacGuair's Scratch X on light scratches and swirl marks before waxing it and see if that makes any difference. Also when you wash/ wax you car, don't use a circular motion and make sure your sponge is rinse very often.
Old 06-20-06, 03:47 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

Oh by the way, I've ordered a SGM and it's arriving in 3 months time. I do a lot of driving on highways and this highway is used by trucks a lot. I'm scare that my car will be full of stone chips.
Old 06-20-06, 05:00 AM
lexusbmwlr
Driver School Candidate

So you're saying that other cars which are colored such as audi, bmw , benz won't get scratched?<-they do! Are you guys sure the black IS paint will get scratched just from washing it a little rough? If it's so easy, I'm gonna have to get a silver or white but i alraedy have a silver rx. But come on give me a break ..any car that gets hit by small rocks will leave a scratch or mark. Stop whining about it....

Quick Reply: 3 weeks old and Scratches! Soft paint?