Team Lexus Modified IS350 visits Toyotafest '06

Old 06-09-06, 06:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Team Lexus Modified IS350 visits Toyotafest '06

Originally Posted by flipside909

Team Lexus Modified IS350

Because Toyotafest is a special gathering of all Toyota enthusiasts, we asked our friend Brad Nelson from Lexus about bringing out something special from the Lexus side. Since Toyota & Scion were bringing out their goodies, why not Lexus? He elected one of their special project cars which Team Lexus help put together to be utilized. The Lexus delegate to Toyotafest 2006 was the BASF Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl Team Lexus IS350 show vehicle. This was the same show vehicle that was unveiled in Detroit for NAIAS 2006 earlier this year and was also displayed at the Javits Center for the 2006 NY Auto Show. The IS350 arrived to us in Southern California just one day prior from it’s quick cross country journey from Team Lexus’ headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland. Brad had mentioned, “This would be a wonderful opportunity for the Team Lexus IS350 to make its first public appearance in the West Coast.” We felt the same way as this was the perfect place for enthusiasts to see it up close and personal.

The BASF Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl IS350 was transformed in just a short amount of time. Since the New IS350 was just released for sale in October 2005, Brad was enlisted to put together an IS350 that would be later displayed for the Detroit NAIAS 2006. The project was designed to explore the aftermarket potential using just light modifications to enhance the vehicle’s L-Finesse theme. It was natural for Lexus to select Brad to head this project as he is an avid car enthusiast himself. You may have seen him on television during TLC’s “Rides” program working along legendary driver and fabricator Rod Millen, design legend Chip Foose and the build up of the V8 powered IS430.

For the 2nd generation IS nerds out there, this IS350 started out as a Crystal White fully loaded Luxury Package with Mark Levinson & Navigation but with no moonroof—the same press pool car you have seen in the Lexus press release photos. Since the car started its tour of duty here in So Cal, Brad and his “team” had to finish this car in about a month’s time before it was to be unveiled for Detroit in January 2006. To start the modifications, Five Axis Models in Huntington Beach, CA installed the Lexus Accessory Ground Effects Kit and Rear Spoiler before it was painted. After painting, an all-star team of companies were enlisted to transform the stock IS350 into a show stopper.

Selecting a color for the IS350 was somewhat of a task and it needed to give that “wow” factor of a high performance vehicle. At the same time, a nice contrast was needed to compliment the Lexus display at NAIAS 2006. Brad visited with Five Axis to find the right color. After going through pages of paint catalogues, the iridescent BASF Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl was selected to represent the Team Lexus IS350. Five Axis is responsible for transforming a plethora of Scion vehicles into fashionable and functional rolling artwork including xA Roadster, xB DJ Booth and tC Show Car. The stock leather seating and trim was swapped out by Stitchcraft Custom Interiors in nearby Westminster, CA. Yards of blue faux suede hugged the centers of the black leather seating as well as the door trim. The Luxury Package wood trim was swapped with the silver trim of the Sport Package.

After the IS350’s exterior & interior were completed, the car was quickly transported to Team Lexus in Maryland where they installed goodies from their main sponsors that support their IS350 GT2 Race Car that will be gracing the circuits of the American Le Mans Series GT2S class later this year. To compliment the IS350’s new look, the car was lowered 1.5” with a custom height adjustable coil-over by Road Magnet and road dampening duties handled by 2 way adjustable JRZ Shocks. A staggered set of forged aluminum 19” BBS RS-GT wheels w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires allow the performance IS350 to stay planted to the road. With plenty of room to spare, a six-piston, two piece aluminum front and four-piston two piece aluminum rear Stop Tech big brake kit was installed. A special stainless steel, low restriction, dual exhaust by Borla gives the IS350’s 3.5L 2GR-FSE some attitude. In the photos, the IS350 sports the Lexus Accessory Exhaust made by HKS. This is scheduled for release later this year. The Borla unit was sent back to the factory to complete its final R&D for release. Team Lexus fabricated their own polished intake system which allows the potent 3.5L 2GR-FSE V6 to breathe. There have not been any tests done to measure the performance gains of these mods yet, but for now, these “light mods” show the potential of the 2nd generation IS. The project was orchestrated in a short 3 months from conception to completion. Needless to say, Brad, Five Axis and Team Lexus executed this project nicely.

As always, we thank Brad Nelson and Lexus. They made special arrangements to transport this IS350 in 2 days to us here in Southern California from Team Lexus in Maryland. It was a great opportunity to view in person and park our cars right next to the special Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl, Team Lexus Modified IS350.

You can read the rest and see more pics here:

CLICK HERE: CL joins 11th Annual Toyotafest along with the Team Lexus IS350

Last edited by flipside909; 06-09-06 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 09:05 AM
^saint
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luv the Club Lexus Sticker
Old 06-09-06, 09:33 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try and find whitey!
Old 06-09-06, 03:10 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

best paint color i have ever seen...
Old 06-09-06, 08:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by ^saint
Luv the Club Lexus Sticker
Hehe...fits well doesn't it?
Old 06-09-06, 08:28 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

Ryan,

That car running Stoptech 6-pot front and rear..?!?!?!

damn! looks hella good.

-s-
Old 06-09-06, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by solo
Ryan,

That car running Stoptech 6-pot front and rear..?!?!?!

damn! looks hella good.

-s-
Yup...nice big 6 pot in the front and 4 pot in the rear.
Old 06-09-06, 08:41 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

you know, i love that car, but i think one more thing could make it even better, they have the beautiful paint and the machined wheels, but the chrome on the grill doesn't really go with anything. painting it the color of the body would make the car flow better, then again, i feel that way about regular 2IS's but it just seems to really stand out on this car...just my $.02
Old 06-09-06, 08:48 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

love the brakes.. wonder when they're gona come out
Old 06-10-06, 12:42 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
love the brakes.. wonder when they're gona come out
I was talking to a STOPTECH Rep at Bimmerfest, I was told it's available for purchase already.
Old 06-10-06, 09:06 AM
LexFather

I love that IS. Great write up Ryan
Old 06-10-06, 09:07 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yup...nice big 6 pot in the front and 4 pot in the rear.

damn, that is very yummy.

-s-
Old 06-10-06, 10:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for the write-up Ryan

As for that blue color, I know quite a few people here likes it.
While it's nice, but it's not the most suitable for the IS to me. If I ever get the IS, I would choose something else even if that blue was available.
Old 06-10-06, 11:17 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not really liking that shade blue on the IS either. IMO, I don't think this really sets off a "wow" reaction, as its a bit safe, and reminds me too much of the blue used on Acuras RSX. I'd prefer something a bit more unique.Otherwise, interesting car. Glad to see borla is putting forth some R&D to develop an exhaust system.
Old 06-10-06, 12:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Pictures can never capture the real color of any car unless it's black or white. Many people asked me if this was a color they would offer. This IS350 got alot of great positive feedback from the guests.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Team Lexus Modified IS350 visits Toyotafest '06