IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Squeaky window after tint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 11:35 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky window after tint?

So my driver side window has started to squeak. I had tint put on the third day I had it. No problems until last week. I noticed when I roll the window down, the driver side squeaks. A residue is also left on the inside of the window. I notice that the inner rubber/felt seal is a little deformed compared to the passenger side.

It does not squeak when going up, and it also does not squeak if I put some pressure on it (with my microfiber of course.

Now I just made an appointment via my sales guy because they have to reinstall clear bra on the lower bumper/driver side mirror. Of course the comment I get back was "well its probably the tint."

Knowing they would say that called BS right away and said look, the 3 other windows don't do it, however i may be outta luck on this one, since the window was modified. So I may have an issue with the tint place after this. Of course its too bad this started 4 weeks after I had the tint done, I guess I'd better get ready to get my wallet out on this one.
Old 06-06-06, 01:49 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No tint here but my driverside window does squeak and leave a residue when I roll them back up... I think that residue is dirt collecting where the window and car meet and as you slide the window up the dirt gets smeared onto the window...
Old 06-06-06, 01:58 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

There should be no dirt on the inside windows as it is, as I clean my windows every couple days. I'll see if I can somehow clean the rubber/felt to see if that helps. I have a couple of fine brushes that should work. I'll give that a try and see if it will solve the problem.

Just odd that I can actually see the deformation in the rubber seal. It is not over the whole window that residue is left on. Only a portion towards the rear of the car about 8 inches wide.

I feel like a dork rolling down the windows with my micro mini duster pressed against the window LOL!!!
Old 06-06-06, 02:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Just odd that I can actually see the deformation in the rubber seal. It is not over the whole window that residue is left on. Only a portion towards the rear of the car about 8 inches wide.
Check the other windows. Tinters use a heat gun and may have warped your rubber lining. That can cause the rubber to become wavy and brittle, creating the creaking sound.
Old 06-06-06, 02:41 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

How long did you wait before putting your window down?
Old 06-06-06, 02:46 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iceman1117
How long did you wait before putting your window down?
I waited about 5 days till I put down any of the windows. More than enough time.

All of the other windows appear fine, no visible distortion or squeaks.
Old 06-06-06, 09:58 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

I have the same exact problem, except it's both my front windows (tinted). I can't figure what's causing that residue. I always clean it off with some water/towel. But everytime I roll it back down and up, the residue comes back. Any suggestions? (maybe if I keep it rolling it up and down the residue will disappear?)
Old 06-06-06, 11:03 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Oh crap I should try openning my winds then... I never roll down my windows so i never checked since i got them tinted... I guess its time to check...
Old 06-07-06, 11:31 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I'm also noticing that as my window goes up, it slows down once it gets in contact with where it is rubbing.

I've lessened the squeak, by pinching the rubber/felt seal however the same amount of residue is left. It almost looks like that seal is not properly seated?

I'll keep playing with it as time permits to see if maybe i can get a screwdriver to press that seal in anymore than it is right now.
Old 06-07-06, 05:12 PM
KennyG350
Driver School Candidate

I got my IS350 tinted last Friday. I just went and checked all my windows. No squeaking here.
Old 06-08-06, 12:45 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

hmm...I wonder what would happen if I brought it into the dealer to see if they can clean/fix it up. Of course, I would prefer to fix it up myself, but it's frustrating me..
Old 06-16-06, 08:23 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i figured out this problem. i went back to my tint shop to redo my tint. we discovered that part of the rubber below the window trim is stuck facing down. it is only the back third of the front window. ask your tinter to pull the rubber back out. this will solve the squeaky issue. if you leave the rubber "pinched" long enough, it will scratch up the tint.

for those that had their door panels removed, this will not be a problem for you.

hope this helps.
Old 06-16-06, 08:58 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
hmm...I wonder what would happen if I brought it into the dealer to see if they can clean/fix it up.
If the tint shop damaged it, the tint shop should fix it. Or at least pay Lexus to fix it.

Lexus and their dealers aren't going to be very "mod friendly" if owners demand that the factory warranty cover damage caused by their mods.
Old 06-16-06, 10:07 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onihc
i figured out this problem. i went back to my tint shop to redo my tint. we discovered that part of the rubber below the window trim is stuck facing down. it is only the back third of the front window. ask your tinter to pull the rubber back out. this will solve the squeaky issue. if you leave the rubber "pinched" long enough, it will scratch up the tint.

for those that had their door panels removed, this will not be a problem for you.

hope this helps.
Awesome!!!! I just went out and sawwhere that rubber piece is folded over. unfortunately I can't get my finger to get it pulled out, but should be something I can do later tonight!
Old 06-16-06, 10:09 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to your tinter. they have better tools, and you don't want to scratch your tint by accident.

Quick Reply: Squeaky window after tint?