IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tinting

Old 06-05-06, 08:49 PM
fakebun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting

Hi I'm thinking about tinting my Lexus 350. I am a real noob at cars so ya...

What i have in mind is a tint that is dark enough to somewhat barely see the interior (i have charcoal outside, black inside) and not dark enough to get pulled over by cops. Is there any brand and bodyshop that does the tinting around walnut/Diamond Bar/Rowland Height area that has a good price also a good quality?

thank you guys...

BTW

I didn't install the parking assist sensor when i bought the car, is it possible to add an aftermarket one?

Last edited by fakebun; 06-05-06 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 09:41 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

don't mean to hi-jack your thread but since you're in ca this might be relevant to you. but does anybody know the legal tint percentage for the front windows? or is it abolustely no tint whatsoever?
Old 06-05-06, 10:12 PM
akkord
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no tint is allowed in CA...most people go with 35% all around though...
Old 06-05-06, 10:14 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For reference, just in case other people were wondering about their state laws.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Old 06-05-06, 10:59 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm so 70% is legal on front windows in ca. but how much tint is 70% tho? seems like nothing... might as well just not have any tint.
Old 06-06-06, 07:25 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
hmmm so 70% is legal on front windows in ca. but how much tint is 70% tho? seems like nothing... might as well just not have any tint.
In my experience, a CHP officer told me, "No tint of any kind is allowed on the front driver and passenger side windows. You can tint the rears as much as you want." This is what he told me. Of course he could be wrong also. But so far, all the tint shops here in NorCal said the same thing. A friend of mine got a ticket even though tints on his front windows were 70%. I guess if this is spelled out in the CA DMV handbook it would help clear this up.
Old 06-06-06, 08:27 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
In my experience, a CHP officer told me, "No tint of any kind is allowed on the front driver and passenger side windows. You can tint the rears as much as you want." This is what he told me. Of course he could be wrong also. But so far, all the tint shops here in NorCal said the same thing. A friend of mine got a ticket even though tints on his front windows were 70%. I guess if this is spelled out in the CA DMV handbook it would help clear this up.

how long ago was this experience? I believe there was some change in the law that allowed you to do so. According tot he tint website above, it says enacted in 1999
Old 06-06-06, 08:38 AM
Pittdawg
Driver

It is my understanding 70% tint is allowed on the front windows, w/ no restriction on the % for the rear windows. However, that CHP officer's statement wasn't far off, as for simplicity's sake, 70% tint isn't much different than "no tint". I'm thinking 50% in the rear and 70% on the fronts, I hate dark tint on the rear and then a super sharp contrast to nothing or nearly nothing in the front.
Old 06-06-06, 08:43 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by jewel
how long ago was this experience? I believe there was some change in the law that allowed you to do so. According tot he tint website above, it says enacted in 1999
The tint website also mention some Police Depts may enforce the law differently. But this was a CHP I spoke to. My experience was last year 2005. As for the shops telling me it's illegal for the fronts, that was a month ago. I will try to search in the latest version of the CA DMV handbook.
Old 06-06-06, 10:02 AM
wawawa
Rookie

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

70% for front windows in CA.
Old 06-06-06, 10:22 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by wawawa
It clearly states - 26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

It does not apply to - (4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if this says 70% is ok.
Old 06-07-06, 10:29 AM
wawawa
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
It clearly states - 26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

It does not apply to - (4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if this says 70% is ok.
It's a little confusing. I am not a lawyer either so don't quote me on this.

I think section a) states that you CAN'T apply any material on "windshield or side or rear windows". Then section b) states that section a) don't apply to rear side windows and many other exception (including medical excuse).

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:
Section c) says it's ok to apply material on the " topmost portion of the windshield " if it satisfies all the requirements..blah blah blah...

d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
Section d) is similar to section c) and it says it's ok to apply material on the front side windows if you meet all the requirements.

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
section d1) says the material itself must be at least 88% light transmittance.

section d2) says after the material is applied to the window, it must be 70% light transmittance (window+tint). And it must meet the glazing requirement...blah blah blah.

Then section d4) states you also need "a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements"...blah blah blah.

That's my understanding of the law. Anyone thinks that I misunderstand the law, PLEASE feel free to correct me. I just don't want to confuse anyone.