IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm beginning to suspect a bit of false advertising re: bi-xenons

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 12:43 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm beginning to suspect a bit of false advertising re: bi-xenons

I called Lexus customer service about this and got the answer I expected from the girl on the phone - "I dunno, I'll research it and get back to you."

Soooo I followed the call up with an email to them as well through the My Lexus link on Lexus.com. Essentially I want to know why my car has halogen high beams if, as stated on Lexus.com, the sport package is supposed to have "Bi-xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps". Their glossary describes bi-xenon as:

"An inner shade retracts within the headlamp, allowing the High-Intensity Discharge (HID) light to work as both a low and high beam. This results in a brighter high beam, since conventional HID headlamps only function as low beams."

While I do have low beam HIDs, in no way do my low beam HIDs operate additionally as high beams. I'm sure the shade retraction isn't itself visible, but taking into account the halogen high beam pattern on a wall, the low beam pattern doesn't move a bit; I would think that would at least be somewhat visible. And if they WERE the bi-xenons described on their website, why would I have halogen high beams as well?

From my window sticker - no mention of "bi-xenon" under sport package like the website describes.

Hmmmmmm.

Ideas?
Old 06-05-06, 12:49 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the website...

"Specifications, features, equipment, technical data, performance figures, options, and color and trim are based upon information available at time of posting, are subject to change without notice, are for mainland U.S.A. vehicles and may differ in the state of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and in other regions."

and given that the windows sticker doesn't say bi-xenon you are SOL

Last edited by tonyxcom; 06-05-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 12:54 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
from the website...

"Specifications, features, equipment, technical data, performance figures, options, and color and trim are based upon information available at time of posting, are subject to change without notice, are for mainland U.S.A. vehicles and may differ in the state of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and in other regions."

What he said.
Old 06-05-06, 12:55 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

from the website...

Of course they're going to say that...but it doesn't change the fact that my car came off the truck four weeks ago and the website still has erroneous information on it now. I'm also curious to know if ANYone has actually received bi-xenons in their sport packaged 350s...or if they just think/assume they did.

ANY package on their website that includes xenons calls them bi-xenons...it's not as if they have an option package listed that just has regular low-beam xenons available...so I'm curious as to why.
Old 06-05-06, 01:12 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Go pull out your high beam halogens, or pull the high beam fuse and turn on your lows and then highs and see if there is any difference between the two. If there is then you have your self Bi Xenons. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

As far as I know "bi xenons" aren't really 2 different set of bulbs. The low beam bulb has a little shield that moves into and out of place making the beam reflect slightly differently. This is why Halogens are also used in conjunction with this method. Lets say your headlights are off and you go to flash your brights the halogens do the trick.
Old 06-05-06, 01:12 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Maybe the 07s will have them. I think the website has been wrong for a long time.
Old 06-05-06, 01:14 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

well your post is claiming false advertising. and that is what my response addresses.

now weather or not some cars have bi-xenons or not is another story.
Old 06-05-06, 01:15 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I've still got my sticker at home. I have the sports package too. I'll check it out tonight and report back what it says.
Old 06-05-06, 01:21 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Go pull out your high beam halogens, or pull the high beam fuse and turn on your lows and then highs and see if there is any difference between the two. If there is then you have your self Bi Xenons. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

As far as I know "bi xenons" aren't really 2 different set of bulbs. The low beam bulb has a little shield that moves into and out of place making the beam reflect slightly differently.
Of course...I'm not disputing that at all - that's exactly what lexus.com describes them as.

Originally Posted by Tmirk
This is why Halogens are also used in conjunction with this method. Lets say your headlights are off and you go to flash your brights the halogens do the trick.
This might be the case...but I've done my best to see even a hint of pattern change on the low beams when using the high beams and I just don't see it.
Old 06-05-06, 01:23 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

well your post is claiming false advertising. and that is what my response addresses.

now weather or not some cars have bi-xenons or not is another story.
Addressed that above as well - ALL packages on their website that include xenons calls them bi-xenons...it's not as if they have an option package listed that just has regular low-beam xenons available. By reading through the option packages, according to Lexus the ONLY HIDs available are "bi-xenons", and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 06-05-06, 01:27 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

no your claiming false advertising because they site says everything is bi-xenon and you think you dont have bi-xenon and your window sticker doesn't have bi-xenon.

so I quoted lexus' website and as far as I am concerned its "end of story' on your first post.
Old 06-05-06, 01:33 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Maybe your car came with "bi-curious xenon" HID lighting??
Old 06-05-06, 01:55 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

you've misunderstood the definition of bi-xenon. Check these:
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/_glossary/bi_xenon.htm
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/031217.htm
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...s041201_hella/

Do a liitle research before accusing Lexus of false advertising.
Old 06-05-06, 02:01 PM
Slowk20a2
Rookie

to check if you have bi-xenon or not, park your car in front of your garage door or a wall. You will see a pretty well defined cut off line for the light. Now turn on your high beam, if that cut off line is gone and there's light all the way high up, that means you got bi-xenon.
Old 06-05-06, 02:02 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Evryone of those links defines bi-xenons in the same way the poster did...

Quick Reply: I'm beginning to suspect a bit of false advertising re: bi-xenons