IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stone chips - Paint brittle - More than normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 02:38 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone chips - Paint brittle - More than normal

I have a a lot of cars and so has my family, but my IS has the most brittle paint yet.

I am very very very very carefull where I drive, not to be behind trucks and close to any cars in front. I don't travel gravel roads.

BUT I SEEM TO HAVE MORE THAN MY SHARE OF STONE CHIPS ALREADY ON MY IS

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG.
Old 06-05-06, 02:57 AM
Aclarke
Driver

I dont understand this... I drive on highways everday to work and anywhere else I need to go... Ive only gotten one pinhole chip in 6 months.

for "brittle" paint thats not too shabby... now its just a matter of taking out these swirls
Old 06-05-06, 03:25 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Black = swirls for me also. IT sucks Uhhh
Old 06-05-06, 06:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

newer cars coming out from ALL manafacturers are going to have weaker paint because its more environmentally sound
Old 06-05-06, 07:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If people really are conscious about this, a clear bra will prevent major chips/scratches on the paint. Yeah, it costs north of $500, but it prevents a lot of headaches.

I now put a clearbra on every car I get within a couple of weeks from purchase.

Check out the Automotive Care and Detailing Forum if you want to get more information. It will help a lot of people on the Forums.
Old 06-05-06, 08:34 AM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusSara
I have a a lot of cars and so has my family, but my IS has the most brittle paint yet.

I am very very very very carefull where I drive, not to be behind trucks and close to any cars in front. I don't travel gravel roads.

BUT I SEEM TO HAVE MORE THAN MY SHARE OF STONE CHIPS ALREADY ON MY IS

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG.

I feel your PAIN!

I have 1700miles and maybe driven my IS350 10-12times. It is currently at the body shop getting:
New headlights
New Foglights
New Windshield

Painting the following:
Hood
Bumper
Both Fenders
Mirrors

Total $7500-

Cause: Rock chips, the front end is peppered with rock chips. I am truly baffled I average 30-50 mph in traffic to work.

Comment: Paint quality blows
I was told due to population density in Japan they have tighter restraints on paints meaning less solids and equaling softer paint.

I still love the car so hopefully the respray has fixed the soft paint issue. The shop told me to let the car sit in the sun and the paint cook for 30days. Once this is done I plan on the clear bra.

Bottomline is the clearbra is a must regardless of looks or cost, as you can see it can cost a lot more in the end. The Bodyshop says they do the 3M Xpel for $650installed which is a lot less the the dealer quoted $1200-
Old 06-05-06, 08:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

again all car manafacturers get their paint from the same suppliers, its not a lexus only problem
Old 06-05-06, 08:52 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just owners of Lexus' car that are experiencing these problems. Due to automotive paint quality in general, the fact that there are more vehicles on the roads, and increased road debris, the odds have increased of having rocks, chips, and debris impacting our vehicles. Having a clear bra installed on your vehicles will mitigate against damage to paint on account of these factors. I've gotton to the point where I now include a full-front clear bra in my negotiations for purchasing vehicles.
Old 06-05-06, 10:22 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

you're paying $7500 to repaint of car that's only been driven a dozen times?
Old 06-05-06, 11:09 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
you're paying $7500 to repaint of car that's only been driven a dozen times?
No, he's paying $7,500 to repaint the front half of the car AND replace the headlights, foglights and windshield having only driven a dozen times!!! Major
Old 06-05-06, 04:57 PM
Pwyll
Driver

My Car Will Go Right From The Dealer To The Best Clear-bra Installer On Long Island, Detailing Dynamics. I Have A Custom 1-piece Stretch-and-cut Put On My Bumper. No Seams Visible. With These New Water-based Paints, It's Stupid Not To Do It.
Old 06-06-06, 03:01 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

getting a clear bra today.. just fixed the chips

I am just getting the hood and top front fenders. I never have bumper problems.
Old 06-06-06, 05:34 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

remember fast and the furious where they jacked truck drivers and stole thier loads?

i feel like jacking truck drivers shooting them in the face with a shotgun and just keep driving. i know some states have laws about covering their loads and hosing off their trucks before getting on an highway...but not here. i get stuck behind trucks dumping **** everywhere and its SO annoying.

i think i have 5 chips so far...nothing huge, enough that a paint pen will probably cover up without being a problem....if i can find my color code. sgm doesn't seem to be anywhere yet.

after i get that taken care of i'm going to zaino the hell out of the front end to get as much seperation between the paint and the elements as possible. our car should come w/ a clear coat for such brittle paint.

i'm anti-clearbra since it doesn't fade evenly wiht the rest of the paint...but on the front bumper it might be a good idea. just not the hood to me
Old 06-06-06, 06:01 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
again all car manafacturers get their paint from the same suppliers, its not a lexus only problem
Any other car I've owned had MUCH more chip resistant paint.
This seems to be just a Lexus problem...
Old 06-06-06, 06:34 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uschardcor
remember fast and the furious where they jacked truck drivers and stole thier loads?

i feel like jacking truck drivers shooting them in the face with a shotgun and just keep driving. i know some states have laws about covering their loads and hosing off their trucks before getting on an highway...but not here. i get stuck behind trucks dumping **** everywhere and its SO annoying.

i think i have 5 chips so far...nothing huge, enough that a paint pen will probably cover up without being a problem....if i can find my color code. sgm doesn't seem to be anywhere yet.

after i get that taken care of i'm going to zaino the hell out of the front end to get as much seperation between the paint and the elements as possible. our car should come w/ a clear coat for such brittle paint.

i'm anti-clearbra since it doesn't fade evenly wiht the rest of the paint...but on the front bumper it might be a good idea. just not the hood to me
Here we have laws against truckers not covering their load, however it is rarely enforced.

Quick Reply: Stone chips - Paint brittle - More than normal