IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stone chips - Paint brittle - More than normal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 04:46 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clear is the way to go, i had that installed by lexus before dealer. But clear bra does not always protect everywere. Heres one for you guys around 2K my wife drove about 3 car lentgh behind a truck due to traffic, and guess what happen, a rock some how manage to chip the paint "hard" right between the hood, and fender, and messup the clearbra. So i wasn'ts too happy about that, and i complain to lexus about the paint. They touched up the chip, and replaced the fender clearbra. Now what i'm tryin to say is if i did not have the clearbra on that day god knows how bad it would have been to the already delicate paint of the IS.
Old 08-13-06, 06:56 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Watch that same rock from a stationary perspective (alongside the road) and your extremely authoritative opinion on what's actually happening... will be changed drastically.
Okay, you win. Not because you're right, but because I have better things to do.
Old 08-13-06, 08:37 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

These rock physics posts are pretty funny! All I know is that my IS with only 9,200 miles has more chips in the front bumper and hood than my Maxima had at 100,000 miles.
Old 08-13-06, 09:08 PM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

I agree, I have so many paint chips on my bumper and I do not even follow trucks on the highway. I have 2 chips on the hood and it are the ones where the paint starts to crack. I'd like to try out LANGKA, people say that it is good on the metallic paints so I'm uncertain on how it will look on SGM. I'd like to to Clear Bra it ASAP also.

The first time I got the chip was from going to the Hamptons, this is the second time I am here, I did a quick wax job to minimize the chips and I hope it helps.

-Mike
Old 08-13-06, 09:21 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

I've got 5000 miles on mine and I have already given up on trying to keep the rock chips away I think I will just let it be for a few years and then get the hood and bumper repainted. I know that a clear bra would help elimenate any future chips buy since I already have some and one that is so deep and is a little bigger than the 'O' on your keyboard, besides I have never really been a fan of the clear bra on a black car.
Old 08-14-06, 11:56 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
I've got 5000 miles on mine and I have already given up on trying to keep the rock chips away I think I will just let it be for a few years and then get the hood and bumper repainted. I know that a clear bra would help elimenate any future chips buy since I already have some and one that is so deep and is a little bigger than the 'O' on your keyboard, besides I have never really been a fan of the clear bra on a black car.
One thing to consider, getting your entire hood and bumper repainted sends up a red flag if you trade your car in. Any decent car appraiser will spot the repaint and ding your value. If you sell your car to a private party, you may get away with it by not disclosing, but most folks will assume you've been in an accident and you will not get top $ on the sale or trade in . . .
Old 08-14-06, 12:06 PM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
One thing to consider, getting your entire hood and bumper repainted sends up a red flag if you trade your car in. Any decent car appraiser will spot the repaint and ding your value. If you sell your car to a private party, you may get away with it by not disclosing, but most folks will assume you've been in an accident and you will not get top $ on the sale or trade in . . .
I've got a little over 17k on mine, and my bumper looks like someone splashed white paint on it- hundreds of fine speckles of white (car is black) from about 95% highway driving. I'll take a picture and post when I get home from work- I think its a good example of the extreme end of what people have been talking about on this thread.
Old 08-14-06, 04:31 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by terp05
I've got a little over 17k on mine, and my bumper looks like someone splashed white paint on it- hundreds of fine speckles of white (car is black) from about 95% highway driving. I'll take a picture and post when I get home from work- I think its a good example of the extreme end of what people have been talking about on this thread.
No need to convince me, you're preaching to the choir - check my sig, I have a clear bra. I was replying to the poster who said he'd rather repaint the hood & bumper when the time comes rather than bother with a clear bra. I've read enough horror stories in this forum that I didn't think twice about dropping $600 to get the clear bra. You know what they say: an ounce of prevention is worth . . .
Old 08-14-06, 04:56 PM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i think what i forgot to mention was that i may repaint the bumper soon for my own sake- not to increase the potential resale value (like you said, it might hurt it) but to just have it looking good for the next 4 or 5 years of ownership.