IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stone chips - Paint brittle - More than normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 08:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
Any other car I've owned had MUCH more chip resistant paint.
This seems to be just a Lexus problem...
and again all new cars will have this paint lexus or not
Old 06-06-06, 08:49 AM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
remember fast and the furious where they jacked truck drivers and stole thier loads?

i feel like jacking truck drivers shooting them in the face with a shotgun and just keep driving. i know some states have laws about covering their loads and hosing off their trucks before getting on an highway...but not here. i get stuck behind trucks dumping **** everywhere and its SO annoying.
So what do you do about construction co. pick-ups and big 4 wheel drives. For some reason I see CHP not enforcing the mud-flap laws when it comes to 4 wheels drives and big tires as well as load securing. The construction guys never secure their loads on their pickups they just throw anything in the back and go. With no regard for other drivers since the wind eventually pick things up and throws them into traffic. I remember about 2 months ago I nearly avoided a water cooler that came off one of these trucks and the month before an electrical cord extentention. This is why I have a Jetta as a daily commuter and only drive the Lex from Friday to Sunday so I only have to worry about Fridays commute. But as you can see those Fridays are damaging!!

You think the clear bra shop can bubble wrap my whole car?????
Old 06-06-06, 04:30 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex-Luther
You think the clear bra shop can bubble wrap my whole car?????
These guys do: http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/ga...ari_enzo.shtml. It may be too expensive for our cars though.
Old 06-06-06, 05:55 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
So a Japanese plant that is painting a car in Japan buys the same exact paint as does a US car plant in the USA?, and they also make the coats of paint the identical thickness to a USA plant? Wow! I didn't realize there was only 1 auto paint company in the world! I'm going to find some investors and open up the 2nd company

Last edited by Tony1; 06-06-06 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 06:28 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I got a clear bra on my car and it's doing it's job flawlessly. I drove my car down to Key West over the Memorial Day weekend and still got a stratch on my front bumper. Something hit my bumper right on the gap between the headlight and the bumper. There was a little section, not even a quarter of an inch, that wasn't covered by the clear bra. That's where the rock hit!

What are the chances?!?!
Old 06-06-06, 09:10 PM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smoothLEX
These guys do: http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/ga...ari_enzo.shtml. It may be too expensive for our cars though.

Funny you should mention that. I have an appointment with Sammy in 30days when my paint is cured for the clear bra. Not the whole car but just the front-end; the complete hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors and lights all the parts that were damage and were replaced will be protected from future occurences.

But to direct an answer specifically to the bubble wrap comment . I was told that a customer had his entire Aston Martin done because he was going to particapate in the Gumball 3000. I do not want to through out numbers, it would be Sammy's job to do that. But I heard it was very expense and the amount had 5 digits He has pics of the process on his web site. I see the enzo in your post but this car was not discussed with me. I wonder what that would cost since the enzo's value is more than enough to buy 5 Aston Martin Vantage's.
Old 06-06-06, 10:00 PM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tony1
So a Japanese plant that is painting a car in Japan buys the same exact paint as does a US car plant in the USA?, and they also make the coats of paint the identical thickness to a USA plant? Wow! I didn't realize there was only 1 auto paint company in the world! I'm going to find some investors and open up the 2nd company

The EPA has different standards based on population density. CA being really strict Nevada not so strict. They still use Imron paint in all other stated besides CA. What is Imron you ask? Its a Dupont paint they use for airplanes ,trucks and any heavy duty application. Rocks would be no threat to this stuff. You have 2hours after painting to color sand it smooth after that its to hard to do anything with. A hammer would dent your metal before this stuff chips off. Also if you do not wear a full suit with an external air supply it will kill you!! My body shop said they still talk about his uncle almost dying when this stuff was legal in CA. Apparently his mask failed as he had a small leak and the guy almost died. You ask how do I know this, well I use to fly private planes and remembered this paint being used on most airplanes. Some guys at the airport were flying jets and they use to fly through hail storms and such and had to worry about jet fuel spills and exhaust temp. but this stuff held up to it all. So due to the damage on my car I asked that they respray it with this paint, but was told its outlawed in CA. I asked they guys at the airport and they said they fly out of state for their paint jobs.

http://pc.dupont.com/Phantom/content/imron-avi.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109225

But anyways to stay on subject, Japan is very densely populated and I was told by my body shop that they have stricter air polution poilicy's than CA which is the strictest in the nation. So the paint is softer. Typically PPG, Dupont or whatever paint manufacter will produce/manufacter in whatever country they do business in. Because paint is toxic and you can just ship it wherever you want. Plus every country and or state has different laws concerning paints. What I am speaking off is not the solids in the paint as all moderns paints now use composites and or plastics as their solids. Its the other chemicals now some being listed in the acid class that react and makes the paint hard. It is these toxic chemicals that are debated around the world and the paint companies have to work with these certain laws limiting chemical aka VOC gases to sell paints in those countries.
Old 06-06-06, 11:53 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

lex-luther, why dont you drive to vegas and get your super paint job done there? Seems like an easy enough solution.
Old 06-07-06, 08:15 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex-Luther
Funny you should mention that. I have an appointment with Sammy in 30days when my paint is cured for the clear bra. Not the whole car but just the front-end; the complete hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors and lights all the parts that were damage and were replaced will be protected from future occurences.

But to direct an answer specifically to the bubble wrap comment . I was told that a customer had his entire Aston Martin done because he was going to particapate in the Gumball 3000. I do not want to through out numbers, it would be Sammy's job to do that. But I heard it was very expense and the amount had 5 digits He has pics of the process on his web site. I see the enzo in your post but this car was not discussed with me. I wonder what that would cost since the enzo's value is more than enough to buy 5 Aston Martin Vantage's.
I read how you got showered with rocks which caused you to repaint. But replacing the lights? Did the rocks chip the light covers? Isn't that a lot tougher than the paint?
Old 06-07-06, 11:59 PM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ichigo
lex-luther, why dont you drive to vegas and get your super paint job done there? Seems like an easy enough solution.

If you ever seen the Imron paint up close like say in the Jetway looking at the planes?? This stuff is super shinny so it would match unless I had them reclear the enitre car. Being a former Porsche owner the more original the body and paint is the better. The fact that I have already repainted it has kinda killed me new car rush
Old 06-08-06, 12:02 AM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bengalfang
I read how you got showered with rocks which caused you to repaint. But replacing the lights? Did the rocks chip the light covers? Isn't that a lot tougher than the paint?
The lights have plastic lenses not glass. The lenses on the headlights and foglights were pitted as they got peppered as well.
Old 08-11-06, 05:57 AM
adrianchew
Driver School Candidate

Assuming one intends for a clearbra install - is it safe to detail the car when new/just off the lot (ie. clay and such to remove imperfections) then go for the clearbra install? Anyone here does the front fenders, side mirrors and head/fog lights too?

The other thing I've heard is that paint on new cars should be baked in the sun and not everyone leave their cars out to bake, so that's part of the paint problem because it hasn't fully cured.
Old 08-11-06, 06:36 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

So when will this new world wide law come into effect?
Old 08-11-06, 06:53 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

again all car manafacturers get their paint from the same suppliers, its not a lexus only problem
Our 2004 S2000 and 2004 Armada didn't have this problem. In fact, the S2000's front end was damn near flawless when we sold it at 19K miles. The Nissan's almost the same after 38K miles.

Our ES330 and IS250 are already peppered with rather large rock chips after 5000 and 2000 miles respectively. If this is an issue with "new enviro paint", then they better start installing clear bras from the factory. This is unacceptable, IMO.
Old 08-11-06, 07:14 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on a number of different car forums, and you could close your eyes and think this thread was on any of them. They ALL ***** about the quality of the paint and how it chips so easily, whether it's BMW, Infiniti, Acura, Lexus or whatever.

The plain truth is that if you're going, say, 50mph, and a vehicle ahead throws up a rock from its tires, that rock will probably impact your car at about 100mph. Your paint is only a few thousandth's of an inch thick, and to expect it to stand up to a chunk of granite traveling 100mph is naive.

Some people spend 500 bux to get clear bras. I pay a paint detailer $60-100 once a year to "make all the chips go away". A good detailer may be had to find, but when you do he'll work magic and you won't be able to tell where the repairs were made.

Ask your delaer's service guy or body shop for a reference.

Quick Reply: Stone chips - Paint brittle - More than normal