IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus dealerships frown upon mods???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 10:33 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus dealerships frown upon mods???

I will be receiving my IS350 in the next month and already have a nice set of mods I plan on installing within the first month or so, such as:

Springs
Different HID bulbs
Different Fogs, parking lights

Just wondering how Lexus dealerships look at this kind of thing when it comes along. I dont know what it is but i just have this feeling like I will get some kind of negative feedback or whatever if i call to make an appointment. I just want TOP NOTCH QUALITY service and install, do you think this will be an issue? I guess i just have this preconceived notion that they will think the car is fine as is, and maybe not have a positive outlook on installing these mods on a new car.

Am i just crazy???
Old 05-30-06, 10:50 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Most dealerships are NOT mod friendly.

May I suggest you ask for a dealership tour. Specifically look at the driveways for your springs.
I noticed one driveway was steep at my dealer so I put a note on the instrument panel behind the steering wheel to remind any techs and porters to go easy on the driveways.
Also they have automated car wash so I ask for a hand wash so's not to scratch my rims.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-06, 11:03 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info, I didnt actually think about that aspect of the mods.

Although, I am actually talking about the techs, etc actually doing the INSTALL, etc of the mods. If I should maybe go to some kind of speed shop, or if the Lexus dealership is a good idea for the installs.
Old 05-31-06, 01:27 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously doubt you want lexus doing your mods. Most likely you car will get F*ed over. Besides they wanted to charge me over 2k for HID's, and said i might as well just by a new car. :? Yea go to a mod shop, at least they know what they are doing, ONLY By referal though!!!
Old 05-31-06, 03:41 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Most dealerships are NOT mod friendly.

May I suggest you ask for a dealership tour. Specifically look at the driveways for your springs.
I noticed one driveway was steep at my dealer so I put a note on the instrument panel behind the steering wheel to remind any techs and porters to go easy on the driveways.
Also they have automated car wash so I ask for a hand wash so's not to scratch my rims.

Good luck.
My dealership, however, is very mod friendly, they told me they could install subwoofers if i wanted, they are installing a radar detector, they told me they would install exhaust if I got one, same with springs, and hes even going to install a bodykit, once i find one that i like. They have already tinted my windows, put new wheels on my car and put some of the aerotect stuff on their.
Old 05-31-06, 04:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My dealership in Charlotte is very mod friendly. They've actually installed many of mine up to and including pulling off the supercharger and re-installing it to get to the alternator.
Old 05-31-06, 07:38 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

So how do I find out . . . should i just email one of the salesman (one that helped me before) and ask him to talk to the techs and see if they have done similar mods to other lexuses there?
Old 05-31-06, 08:15 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I would check out the parts department, if they sell aftermarket parts then you should have your answer. But be warned they have steep prices when it comes to installing parts. I am lucky, my dealership is very mod friendly and I buy all my aftermarket parts from them (at a discount of course)
Old 05-31-06, 08:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Couple of suggestions

1) Post up in the regional forums to see if anyone in the area has taken a modified Lexus to the dealer(s) you want to go to and their experiences. Fireball's GS400 I recall as one (formerly) in KY that has a heavily modified Lexus

2) Go to the dealer and nose around to see what the folks that work there drive.... if they have modified Lexus, find out who drives them, ask them about their cars and what they have done. Find out from them who worked on their cars and if there is a service advisor that has one (or one the driver of the modified car will recommend)

3) Find a service advisor who is friendly and interested and get to know them... they are absolutely key to getting the work done and discussing mods with you.