IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

insurance of red car? higher? rumor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 08:27 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default insurance of red car? higher? rumor?

I have been hearing people saying that the insurance of a red color car is more expensive than others due to the high risk of getting into accidents? Does it make sense? I called up my insurance agent, and they said there is no such thing! I want some other opinions. What ya think?
Old 05-29-06, 08:33 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard this also, but i think its not true.
Old 05-29-06, 09:00 PM
Premier
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not true. I forget where I saw it if it was on a news channel or Mythbusters. I'll look it up and see if i can find it again.
Old 05-29-06, 09:16 PM
mike714
Rookie

Call around for quotes and see if anyone asks you what color your car is. I've never been asked.
Old 05-30-06, 04:35 AM
GOBUCS
Driver

The Insurance companies look at the cars replacement cost, safety rating in crashes, repair costs, horsepower, etc. I think the biggest factor is your driving history. I have never been asked the color of a car to insure.
Old 05-30-06, 05:54 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

anytime the risks are higher, so is the insurance rate. isn't the colour of a car noted in the vin code? so i think they have it half right, higher at risk for getting into an accident (driver or car) might make for higher rates but red (or some other high risk colour)? not likely.
Old 05-30-06, 06:12 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

From Progressive.com:
Color is not a factor used to calculate insurance rates — we don't even ask you what color your car is when you get a quote from us. Factors that do matter are the year, make, model, body type, engine size and age of your car, as well as drivers on your policy.
(http://www.progressivedirect.com/insider/myths.asp)
Old 05-30-06, 06:14 AM
ISMaximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doctorttt
I have been hearing people saying that the insurance of a red color car is more expensive than others due to the high risk of getting into accidents? Does it make sense? I called up my insurance agent, and they said there is no such thing! I want some other opinions. What ya think?
Not true at all. It has nothing to do with the color of the car and everything to do with your driving record, age, marital status and the make/model of the car.
Old 05-30-06, 06:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ISMaximus
Not true at all. It has nothing to do with the color of the car and everything to do with your driving record, age, marital status and the make/model of the car.
gender too
Old 05-30-06, 06:26 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
gender too
I never understood why that is acceptable. Imagine if certain races had higher accident races, and they charged people of those races higher premiums. People would flip out! But gender discrimination against men, no problem...
Old 05-30-06, 07:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the myth came from people with red cars being a bit more visible to highway patrol, and since they are more likely to have citations under their belt, their insurance rates go up.

But the truth of the matter: the main reason why insurance is high is because of your driving history. Other factors that may make it higher are being young, male, unmarried, and do not own a home. If you own a car and you drive like a maniac, you'll get a ticket, and it'll go on your record, and your insurance will go up.
Old 05-30-06, 08:11 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
It's not true, though since red is the safest colour (most visible) you would have thought that any premium adjustment would be downwards.

Incidentally, I had a friend work for Fuji and he was allowed to choose a company car in any colour but red as the Japanese considered it an aggressive colour and people would drive accordingly.
Old 05-30-06, 09:27 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
It's not true, though since red is the safest colour (most visible) you would have thought that any premium adjustment would be downwards.

Incidentally, I had a friend work for Fuji and he was allowed to choose a company car in any colour but red as the Japanese considered it an aggressive colour and people would drive accordingly.
white is the most popular colour for a car and it is also the most visible particularly at night. in japan, i hardly saw a red car, not very popular.
Old 05-30-06, 09:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

actually yellow is more visible to the human eye, red is second. Read some study where a yellow object caused a faster reaction in the brain above red which was after yellow
Old 05-30-06, 09:41 AM
acsan
Driver

Yes, red is not the most visible...hence the switch to yellow or light green for most fire trucks out there.

Quick Reply: insurance of red car? higher? rumor?