IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I just got pulled over for not having a front plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 09:29 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Well, I've only had the car three days, and I've already been pulled over for it.

Putting a plate on the front totally contradicts the point of spending $35k+ on a well-designed car. The rear is different... there is an entire area dedicated to the license plate. But the front's design is not. There's got to be a way I can somehow fit it into the airdam...

35k...i saw a freakin ferrari with a front plate...if i could talk to him, i would seriously ask him why....
Old 05-29-06, 09:32 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james6290
35k...i saw a freakin ferrari with a front plate...if i could talk to him, i would seriously ask him why....
Exactly. It's bad enough when you're spending 5 figures for an uglified front-end, but when you're in the 6 figure range, it's just plain wrong.
Old 05-29-06, 09:44 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would suggest that you not cut the plate but rather fold it back in case it is not acceptable to a cop or worse, judge, you dont need to pay for new plates (plural). I agree front plate laws suck but not liking it is not an excuse for not following it.
Old 05-29-06, 09:50 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I would suggest that you not cut the plate but rather fold it back in case it is not acceptable to a cop or worse, judge, you dont need to pay for new plates (plural). I agree front plate laws suck but not liking it is not an excuse for not following it.
Yeah, I was thinking about bending rather than cutting. We'll see. The problem with bending, though, is that you'd totally be able to see the bends behind the plate if you looked at the car from the front 3/4 position. It would look a lot better all flush up against the mesh. But I'll figure it when the time comes.
Old 05-29-06, 10:02 AM
ocdavid
Rookie

The biggest reason that the cops are beginning to enforce the front license plate laws more often is due to the number of camera infested intersections. Most camera snapping intersections take a picture of your front license plate only. This is how you are identified and how you are mailed the ticket. No front plate, no ticket. It's in the city's best interest to enforce the front plate laws. Although I still think it's crap that they can just mail you a ticket even though it may not be you driving the car!
Old 05-29-06, 10:26 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Well, the thing about that is that up here in Washington, there are some intersections that have cameras mounted on top of the traffic signal pole, but very few of them even work.
Old 05-29-06, 10:58 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Yeah, I was thinking about bending rather than cutting. We'll see. The problem with bending, though, is that you'd totally be able to see the bends behind the plate if you looked at the car from the front 3/4 position. It would look a lot better all flush up against the mesh. But I'll figure it when the time comes.
It may not be visible if you bend it back flush against the plate (parallel) instead of back at a perpendicular. Then finish it off with the foam all the way around as you mentioned. Something to make it look as if a frame is around it. Good luck and post pics once done!
Old 05-29-06, 11:54 AM
Kavistar
Rookie

Well, the thing about that is that up here in Washington, there are some intersections that have cameras mounted on top of the traffic signal pole, but very few of them even work.
There are many many many cameras at intersections here in WA. They are used for "traffic" studies. As of recent there were only about 5 or 6 photo cameras in the whole state that you would ever get a ticket mailed to you from. All of the other "traffic" cameras can/will easily become photo ticket cameras in the near future I am sure.
Old 05-29-06, 12:31 PM
mr rogers
Driver School Candidate

Why not just attach little suction cups to the license plate and stick it on the top right hand corner of the windshield from inside the cabin? I know three people that have had their front plates mounted this way for the past two years, and they have yet to be pulled over. I would perfer this over placing it anywhere on the front bumper.
Old 05-29-06, 02:10 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mr rogers
Why not just attach little suction cups to the license plate and stick it on the top right hand corner of the windshield from inside the cabin? I know three people that have had their front plates mounted this way for the past two years, and they have yet to be pulled over. I would perfer this over placing it anywhere on the front bumper.
Because I think it's tacky-looking.
Old 05-29-06, 02:20 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
It may not be visible if you bend it back flush against the plate (parallel) instead of back at a perpendicular. Then finish it off with the foam all the way around as you mentioned. Something to make it look as if a frame is around it. Good luck and post pics once done!
Well, I definitely wasn't considering just bending it perpendicular to the plate, but rather flush like you said. But to make it flush, you'd need some nice metal presses or something, and I just don't have those kinds of tools. I'm sure I could probably locate some, though.
Old 05-29-06, 03:33 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by james6290
get this! my dealer drilled holes in my bumper, i told them i didn't like them, so, they are filling them, repainting them and redoing my clear bra so there are no holes in that either....for free!!!!
Dang wow! thats service!!
Old 05-29-06, 03:39 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

I hate it when they go ahead and drill holes in your bumper. I even hate it when they install the front fram it and ti doesnt entail drilling. Those things should be left in the trunk for the purchaser to deal with.
Old 05-29-06, 03:47 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Like this:

To be honest that looks like a cheap kit car now. Putting the plate there is also going to affect engine cooling.
Old 05-29-06, 03:55 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Why don't you just move to a state where you don't NEED a front plate? j/k

Quick Reply: I just got pulled over for not having a front plate