IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint Protector? Clear Bra? Good or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 05:07 PM
BrightIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protector? Clear Bra? Good or not?

I have had my IS 350 for 4 days. Already I have noticed several fine scratches in the paint. They look they are likely from road grit and are not deep.

Would a paint protector, professionally applied or a clear bra be a good idea? (My wife laughed her head off when I said the words "clear bra".

I am worried that paint protectors are scams. I have heard about clear bras peeling or yellowing. I have read other posts and people talk about their clear bra - BUT - these are new cars. What do they look like after 2 years?

Thanks
Old 05-28-06, 08:29 PM
tjp
Rookie

That's a legitimite question. I have only had mine for 5 months. The manufacturer of mine gives a full warranty against it ever discoloring. Like I mentioned, I have had my IS since January and the cear covering has already saved me from potential stone chips on the front edge of the hood. I can see several scuff marhs on the plastic.

Just yesterday, I was trying to get around a cement truck on the highway and as soon as I am getting around it on the side lane, the truck hits a pot hole and I get showered with small rocks. Doh! But I survived that with out a scratch (my car is black, so any chip would really show).
Old 05-28-06, 08:43 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will not buy another new car without putting on clear bra. All my cars are daily drivers and the front ends do not show chips. If something big enough and hits hard enough, it will nick or cut the clear bra. Little debris (which hits the car all the time) are not a problem.
Old 05-28-06, 11:20 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I vouch for clear bra too. Have it on 3 cars now and they've all been saved before from rocks and junk on the road.
Old 05-29-06, 02:51 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

anyone with a clear bra on black

and where can we get it without a 2nd mortgage
Old 05-29-06, 08:10 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

im wondering where the best place to get it or atleast to install one is too (KY). Do the lexus dealerships sell 3M clear bras? And install them . . . ?
Old 05-29-06, 10:37 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

This is the first car I've installed a clearbra on. I drive mostly highways and in the northeast that = plenty of road debris especially in the winter. I owned my A4 for six years and it accumulated its fair share of paint chips, mainly on the leading edge of the hood. My IS has the full treatment...hood/bumper/headlights/foglights/mirrors/front fenders. The hood piece is a full 24" deep. Very worthwhile investment IMO.
Old 05-29-06, 11:12 AM
BrightIS
Driver School Candidate

I'm just back from the detailer - I have ordered a "Clearshield" bra, paint sealant and Quantum window tint - 37%. The detailer has a custom cutting machine and cuts the kits on site. They will also custom cut for any part of the car. Its all done on computer and cut using a machine.

The funny thing is this is the same detailer the dealer uses, but the dealer charges nearly twice as much. While I was there, they showed my an IS 250 AWD, white on gray that they had just installed the Clearshield on. Looks great.

Another customer was there at the same time, also with a SGM IS 350, wanting the same thing as myself. Between us, we must have asked 30 questions and spent an hour looking at the products.

Its going to be expensive. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

The "Clearshield" goes up the hood over 24 inched.

I heard a horror story from the other customer. Another detailer, much closer to my house, was also doing custom clear bra work, BUT was cutting the plastic right on the car! The knife was going through the paint and basically wrecking the paint job.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-29-06, 12:12 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I will never buy a new car without it again.

2nd day hit a tarp on the freeway at 80+. Woulda been a bumper repaint for sure. Just rubbed off of the bra. No worries.

When clean you can't see it. When dirty it stands out.
Old 05-29-06, 02:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always have to get a clear bra for my new cars. I've had way too much trouble with cars' paint chipping or scratching due to the debris out on L.A. freeways. Gotta love the 405!!!
Old 05-29-06, 06:22 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by BrightIS
I'm just back from the detailer - I have ordered a "Clearshield" bra, paint sealant and Quantum window tint - 37%. The detailer has a custom cutting machine and cuts the kits on site. They will also custom cut for any part of the car. Its all done on computer and cut using a machine.

The funny thing is this is the same detailer the dealer uses, but the dealer charges nearly twice as much. While I was there, they showed my an IS 250 AWD, white on gray that they had just installed the Clearshield on. Looks great.

Another customer was there at the same time, also with a SGM IS 350, wanting the same thing as myself. Between us, we must have asked 30 questions and spent an hour looking at the products.

I heard a horror story from the other customer. Another detailer, much closer to my house, was also doing custom clear bra work, BUT was cutting the plastic right on the car! The knife was going through the paint and basically wrecking the paint job.

It is worth it. We had the clear bra put on our IS before it left the dealer and it is a very worthwhile investment.
Old 05-30-06, 08:34 AM
BN06
Rookie

Default agree w/ the others . . .

Originally Posted by Tmirk
I will never buy a new car without it again.

2nd day hit a tarp on the freeway at 80+. Woulda been a bumper repaint for sure. Just rubbed off of the bra. No worries.

When clean you can't see it. When dirty it stands out.
I will not accept a new car from the dealer until the paint protection film (of various names) is installed. They prepped my car and gave me a we owe for the clear bra (for later this week) and I said, thanks but no thanks. I have had it on my car(s) since 2000. It has never yellowed, never peeled, is virtually invisible from a distance, and has saved me from thousands in front end paint repairs (if you add up all of the major hits). Like some of the others here I have some real world experience. I took a 4" metal lug nut that flew off a truck on the highway. The film was gouged and ruined. I had to cut out a 2-3" square with an exacto knife to remove it. The paint underneath was not even scuffed. I'm not exaggerating. I replaced the cut out and because it was relatively flat it was not even noticeable and I did the repair myself.

I could cite maybe five or six other serious hits but you get the point. The only yellowing of film I have seen are the areas on the car that are covered with OEM factory film (lower body cladding etc...).

A worthwhile investment if you ask me.

Last edited by BN06; 05-30-06 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 09:10 AM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I always have to get a clear bra for my new cars. I've had way too much trouble with cars' paint chipping or scratching due to the debris out on L.A. freeways. Gotta love the 405!!!
I never knew the 405 moved fast enough for chips!
Old 05-30-06, 11:06 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrightIS

Hello BrightIS,
I am the other customer you met at the detailer. Funny meeting you here. I am also going ahead with the Clearshield kit and 37% HP Quantum by Solar Guard. My appointement is Thursday. I believe you where bringing you car earlyer. Let me know what you think of the work.