IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Back Up Camera and Navi Screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 06:45 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up Camera and Navi Screen

I am not sure if this even bugs anyone else, or if there is a way to change it, but everytime I put my car in reverse the back up camera comes on and when I shift back out of reverse the camera turns off and goes to the GPS screen. A lot of times I keep the screen turned off and just keep the Navi screeen on the Audio Screen, but when I shift out of reverse the screen will just go blank (if I had the GPS turned off) or return to the GPS screen (if it was not turned on.)

Is this something that I can change? A setting somewhere?

Thanks
Kavistar
Old 05-23-06, 06:59 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm good question . . . anyone?
Old 05-23-06, 07:27 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

rephrase your question in a form that makes sense. you are saying you keep your screen off but on the audio screen at the same time. make up your mind.
Old 05-23-06, 07:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default confusion....

Originally Posted by Kavistar
I am not sure if this even bugs anyone else, or if there is a way to change it, but everytime I put my car in reverse the back up camera comes on and when I shift back out of reverse the camera turns off and goes to the GPS screen. A lot of times I keep the screen turned off and just keep the Navi screeen on the Audio Screen, but when I shift out of reverse the screen will just go blank (if I had the GPS turned off) or return to the GPS screen (if it was not turned on.)

Is this something that I can change? A setting somewhere?

Thanks
Kavistar
Make sure you acknowledge your GPS Nav "I agree" before you do anything else.....
Old 05-23-06, 07:50 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

i think he is saying he doesnt want the camera to come on when he goes in reverse.
why would u not want it, i dont even turn around anymore when i go in reverse just mirrors and the camera
Old 05-23-06, 08:04 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Default Sorry

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear.

You can turn off the screen by going through the "Disp" button. I do this so that the "I agree" screen does not come on everytime I start the car. When I turn off the screen this way I can push the "Audio" button and the audio controls will come up. I can then push the "Audio" button again and the screen will go blank. I like it being able to do this. This will work the same for the "Climate" button. Also, from a blank screen I can push the "Audio" button and it will show the audio screen, I can then push the "Climate" button and the screen will change to the climate screen, I can then push the "Climate" button again and it will turn the screen off and be blank. All of this happens because I have the "Map" turned off through the "Display" button screen.

Now the problem is that when I have the screen set to this situation, say with the audio screen on, and I put the car in reverse, the camera turns on like it is supposed to. But when I shift back into drive, the screen reverts back to the blank screen instead of the audio screen that it was previously on. If I am not in the above situation: Say I am looking at the navigation map (it is turned on with the "I Agree" already touched) and I changed it to audio screen and then put the car in reverse, the camera shows up on the screen and then when shifted back into drive the screen reverts back to the navi map, not the audio screen.

I would rather have it go back to the screen it was previously on before the car was shifted into reverse. If I have the audio screen up and need to go in reverse for a second and then shift back into drive and go to change the station, I need to hit the "Audio" button again before it will show the screen and I can change the station.

I hope this clears up what I am talking about and that someone may have an answer.

Thanks,
Kavistar
Old 05-23-06, 08:43 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Not thinking that's possible. However you could always change your preset station via the steering wheel button.
Old 05-23-06, 10:17 PM
mike841
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear.

You can turn off the screen by going through the "Disp" button. I do this so that the "I agree" screen does not come on everytime I start the car. When I turn off the screen this way I can push the "Audio" button and the audio controls will come up. I can then push the "Audio" button again and the screen will go blank. I like it being able to do this. This will work the same for the "Climate" button. Also, from a blank screen I can push the "Audio" button and it will show the audio screen, I can then push the "Climate" button and the screen will change to the climate screen, I can then push the "Climate" button again and it will turn the screen off and be blank. All of this happens because I have the "Map" turned off through the "Display" button screen.

Now the problem is that when I have the screen set to this situation, say with the audio screen on, and I put the car in reverse, the camera turns on like it is supposed to. But when I shift back into drive, the screen reverts back to the blank screen instead of the audio screen that it was previously on. If I am not in the above situation: Say I am looking at the navigation map (it is turned on with the "I Agree" already touched) and I changed it to audio screen and then put the car in reverse, the camera shows up on the screen and then when shifted back into drive the screen reverts back to the navi map, not the audio screen.

I would rather have it go back to the screen it was previously on before the car was shifted into reverse. If I have the audio screen up and need to go in reverse for a second and then shift back into drive and go to change the station, I need to hit the "Audio" button again before it will show the screen and I can change the station.

I hope this clears up what I am talking about and that someone may have an answer.

Thanks,
Kavistar
Huh
Old 05-23-06, 10:22 PM
RealNinjuz
Rookie

Simplified:

He turns his navigation off and leaves it on the audio menu. He backs up and his camera goes on. When he puts it back into drive, it goes to the blank screen instead of the audio screen.
Old 05-24-06, 07:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

THANK YOU!

Sometimes, one left turn is better than three right turns...
Old 05-24-06, 07:51 AM
Kavistar
Rookie

I thought that was pretty much what I said in the first post, when asked to explain further I was more in depth....obviously too in depth

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on this? Is this a setting or is it just the way a navigation system works?

Thanks

Last edited by Kavistar; 05-24-06 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 08:07 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Have you tried reading the Navigation "Bible" yet? I ask because mine is still sitting out ready to read but I seem to spend all my spare time on this forum instead of reading the manual.
Old 05-24-06, 08:21 AM
Kavistar
Rookie

haha good one.....

No, I haven't yet....I just got the car last Friday and am only half way through the regular manual so far. But you do have a point, I should read the manual through, but like you said, it is more fun to be on this forum.
Old 05-24-06, 10:15 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

I thought that was pretty much what I said in the first post, when asked to explain further I was more in depth....obviously too in depth

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on this? Is this a setting or is it just the way a navigation system works?

Thanks
I got what you were trying to say the first time . . . ill admit i read it pretty slow but i still got it haha.