IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it possible to clone the key?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 11:58 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uschardcor
^^ actually the new sysem of credit card authentication is gonna make for some very unhappy customers. basically the card companies are taking themselves out of the liability loop and leaving the card owner at fault for any non-approved transactions...

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0...it_card_fraud/
that's silly, the day the cardholder becomes liable for fraudalent charges comes the day when cardholders dump their cards. besides there are laws to protect the consumer, so bank will have to deal with those. a year away? i will make it a point to come back to this thread and show you how wrong the author is. i bet there won't be a single credit card company or bank that holds the cardholder completely liable for unauthorized or fraudelent charges in june 2007. none. new technology or not. i am aware of the strategy to change the way the system works to hold transactions responsible but the intent is not to leave the customer unprotected from the criminals.

basically all the people against new technology are trying to hurt the industry by pointing out potential security flaws and trying to scare people about their safety and security. rfid is still pretty new and it has made great progress in many fields (like inventory and tracking) that do not necessarily have anything to do with people's money. all of these scare tactics are the same ones that i heard about years ago when we thought about implement what we have today which works so well. i remember the day when it was unheard of to deposit a check in an atm or use a credit card at a grocery store or read a barcode on your passport or pay a bill over the internet or buy gasoline at an unmanned service station or roam using your cellphone in a foreign country. we were told it was too risky....whatever.
Old 05-23-07, 10:37 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

lol, it's not june 2007 but almost. anyone have a credit card where the bank won't take on the thieves and you're left being liable for fradulent charges? didn't think so. lol
Old 05-23-07, 11:09 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Of course it is possible. Not likely that any of us have the right equipment, but if you take your remote apart, you might be able to find the important pieces, remove them, and then place them into or onto the objects that you desire.
and dont foget about the battery!
Old 05-23-07, 11:13 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by Blahzay
Does the new LS use the same keyfob as the IS? If so, maybe Lexus would let IS, GS, or new ES owners buy replacement card keys programmed with the codes from their fobs...
I think it has something to do with the FCC ID (i.e. frequency trasmitted)....
Old 05-23-07, 11:16 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by tjp
There was an article on news.com about cloning these RFID based keys. It can be done with a laptop and a RFID developer kit. These kits are available from the RFID manufacturers. They include software and a RFID reader. Using these tools person can mimic either the car or a key and capture the data handshake and key challenge. Since the RFID manufacturers are onlys using a 40bit key the person then takes that data and can easliy crack it using a brute force method. A 40 bit ket is unheard of these days with 1024 bit keys being very common.
A guy in Germany was recently arrested with the above mentioned equipment and several "cracked" keys stored on the laptop. With the cracked keys, all he had to do was find that car again, and he would own it!

This situation has me very concerned about getting my car stolen. I live in the Silicon Valley area. There's a lot of high tech out here.
that's what insurance is for !
but if they're gonna steal it....make sure it will be gone completely......
never ever wanna see it found somewhere else and you have to deal with the aftermath........
Old 05-23-07, 11:39 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it lol.
Same here... What are the odds?
Old 05-23-07, 11:43 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

AND if the thief wanna steal your car, no matter what security system (OEM or aftermarket or wharever superior thing you have) they will still steal it with ease. Nothing you can do about it anyway
Old 05-23-07, 12:01 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhhh hahaha. I remember this thread. Dang Ken, did you note this into your calendar?
Old 05-23-07, 12:51 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I understand it correctly, having a rolling code means that the code in the fob changes with each locking/unlocking. How can a credit card, without power source, do that?
Old 05-23-07, 01:13 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Huh, I didnt even realize how old this thread was!
Old 05-25-07, 11:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pocky
ahhhh hahaha. I remember this thread. Dang Ken, did you note this into your calendar?
yep. got a reminder that said "hey somebody said some crap and you promised to get back with them in about a year."

http://www.memotome.com
Old 05-26-07, 09:50 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blahzay
From what I have read, the key for the 2006 IS is RFID based. Do you think its possible to clone it to another device? Something like a Mobil Speedpass or maybe a proxcard? I'd love to have a credit card sized "key" that I could just leave in my wallet. I never use the buttons on the fob anyway. I also seem to remember reading that the 2007 LS will have a card key.

I know there was a link to that "High tech gone in sixty seconds" article...and from reading it, it seems that cloning the fobs would be possible.

Just curious to see what everybody thinks.
I'm sure it's possible. Mercedes Benz with the Keyless Go option has a credit card sized key (same size as c/c but little thicker) for over 5 years already. A person that is good with electronics can probably replace MB parts with parts from our Lexus key.
Old 06-04-07, 08:13 PM
Blahzay
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like lots of work...I still think my idea of using the LS key would be much easier. I'm guessing it would be compatible.

A picture of it actually ended up in another thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=5
Old 05-19-11, 07:08 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Default old thread alert, may 2006

Originally Posted by uschardcor
^^ actually the new sysem of credit card authentication is gonna make for some very unhappy customers. basically the card companies are taking themselves out of the liability loop and leaving the card owner at fault for any non-approved transactions...

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0...it_card_fraud/
that's silly, the day the cardholder becomes liable for fraudalent charges comes the day when cardholders dump their cards. besides there are laws to protect the consumer, so bank will have to deal with those. a year away? i will make it a point to come back to this thread and show you how wrong the author is. i bet there won't be a single credit card company or bank that holds the cardholder completely liable for unauthorized or fraudelent charges in june 2007. none. new technology or not. i am aware of the strategy to change the way the system works to hold transactions responsible but the intent is not to leave the customer unprotected from the criminals.

basically all the people against new technology are trying to hurt the industry by pointing out potential security flaws and trying to scare people about their safety and security. rfid is still pretty new and it has made great progress in many fields (like inventory and tracking) that do not necessarily have anything to do with people's money. all of these scare tactics are the same ones that i heard about years ago when we thought about implement what we have today which works so well. i remember the day when it was unheard of to deposit a check in an atm or use a credit card at a grocery store or read a barcode on your passport or pay a bill over the internet or buy gasoline at an unmanned service station or roam using your cellphone in a foreign country. we were told it was too risky....whatever.
lol, it's not june 2007 but almost. anyone have a credit card where the bank won't take on the thieves and you're left being liable for fradulent charges? didn't think so. lol
Originally Posted by pocky
Originally Posted by ben_r_
Huh, I didnt even realize how old this thread was!

Google calendar owns you!

1. Anybody have a credit card that won't stand by you against fradulent charges and allows the criminals to steal from the customer?

2. Anybody had their car broken into by the hi-tech car thieves that are prowling for easy Lexus vehicles by cloning their keys using a laptop computer?

It's 2011, what are they waiting for! LOL LOL
Old 05-21-11, 03:48 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1861.html

there. just search for the year/model for ur car.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to clone the key?