Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 08:01 AM
IS350FL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kensteele did it. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmrx...elated&search=

kensteele can you provide a step by step on how you did it?
Old 11-29-06, 08:47 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kensteele didnt do it, he just put the video up on youtube.

you can find more information about that here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...244504&page=17

post #255.
Old 11-29-06, 09:09 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexellent
While performing the mods for Nav and installing VaisTech SLI iPod integration, I decided to work on the backup camera override that Airwolfe had described. As it turned out, this was a very simple mod. The "Blue" wire on pin 13 of connector J50 is the one to work with. This is immediately next to the well known and described "Pink" wire of the J50 connector fame.

To bore you with the details; J50 pin 13 "Blue" wire is the trigger which switches the Multi-Display to the camera mode. This is a +12v trigger, not the neg ground that has been mentioned here. This receives it's signal from JQ1 (which you really don't need to know).

To provide the override you must send a +12v signal to pin 13. The way I have accomplished this is by cutting the "Blue" wire. I re-routed this wire through a relay which in the NC (normally closed or non-energized) position the wire acts as though it was never cut and is as originally wired. Once the relay is energized, this wire is broken and the connector end is connected to a +12v source. This then tells the Multi-Display to switch to the rear camera. I used the +12v from the "Orange" wire on connector J50. It is from the Accessory circuit and therefore only energized when the ignition is on. This is seen in the schematic below.

Then I decided it would be nice to have an indicator LED to remind me that I am switched on to the modification. This was accomplished through the other side of the DPDT relay. To keep this simple I created a pdf schematic showing how I did this and with the part numbers for the relay and switch.

I then routed the switch to the left side of the steering column and used on of the "dummy" plugs adjacent to the shade switch. I have a photo of this. I will try to upload it if I can figure out how.

This worked beautifully the first time. It does not interfere with the navigation so there is no delay for "catch-up" when you turn the switch off. here was no need to interfere with the gray wire that Airwolfe had suggested as a possibile need. I belive that with a review of the schematic and this information, you will find this an easy modification. Now that I have done it, I'm just not sure why I need it.

I hope this helps and answers the questions that only testing as this can provide.

Nice works, could you post the pictures and also the relay and switch you use on this project? Thanks

Last edited by viettho; 11-29-06 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-29-06, 09:40 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for the questions, but i've read through this thread and the non-ML to play dvd thread but haven't really found what i was looking for. everything is becoming a blur and it's very confusing with 300+ posts in the other thread. i'm not too good with all this wiring, etc. so for those of us w/ML, is it a simple hack (like the nav hack) to enable use of the backup camera via switch? and did someone make a DIY yet because i've looked but haven't found one... thanks ahead!
Old 11-29-06, 10:40 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it is far more simple.

Just cut 1 wire.

Wire up a relay and a switch.
Old 11-29-06, 10:51 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

you can use it too spy.
Old 11-29-06, 11:01 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
Yes it is far more simple.

Just cut 1 wire.

Wire up a relay and a switch.
thanks... simple and cheap! sounds like this mod will be added to my list...
Old 11-29-06, 11:12 AM
sashax415
Pole Position

Lexellent... could you test out a couple things for me concerning the navi?

When the camera is activated, does the nav still give voice guidance?

Any problems with the tracking? (Does the car system think the car is driving in reverse?)

Thanks for taking the initiative and getting this done.
Old 11-29-06, 03:50 PM
umasw84me
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 06 is250. I have to do some reading on the hole dvd/backup up cam, and what everone is posting. I do not know if anyone else has posted this, but you might be able to control everything with a relay (1 to 2 relays) to switch from dvd/video/games etc. to backup cam automatically.

I will be back to everyone once I'm done reading.
Old 11-29-06, 06:59 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sashax415
Lexellent... could you test out a couple things for me concerning the navi?

When the camera is activated, does the nav still give voice guidance?

Any problems with the tracking? (Does the car system think the car is driving in reverse?)

Thanks for taking the initiative and getting this done.
At this moment I have had NO problems from anything since doing the mod. There is certainly no issue with thinking the car is driving in reverse. I can not say absolutely that there is no interruption in voice guidance because I have never used the Nav. I will certainly be glad to do this and let you know. I will be VERY surprised if there is any problem there either.
Old 12-01-06, 12:51 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meteoro
A got the wiring diagrams for the NAV/radio etc. I have been looking at them now for a couple of days.
The camera is always on. What the switch does is activate the screen on the Nav system, however, it uses the same reverse switch as the ones for the reverse lights, etc. I have not found any other place where I could put a switch yet.

My thing no is that if I put a switch there, then the reverse lights will turn on everytime I wanna see the camera. Plus who knows what else is controlled by that switch.

I attached the wiring diagram if anyone wants to take a stab at it.
Can you please post the website where you found the wiring diagram? I will pay for a subscription if available. Thank you
Old 12-01-06, 12:52 PM
istundra
Pole Position

subscribe

Old 12-01-06, 03:06 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

not sure if this is the one, but it's the only site i know with all the wiring, etc.

http://techinfo.lexus.com
Old 12-02-06, 09:14 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexellent
While performing the mods for Nav and installing VaisTech SLI iPod integration, I decided to work on the backup camera override that Airwolfe had described. As it turned out, this was a very simple mod. The "Blue" wire on pin 13 of connector J50 is the one to work with. This is immediately next to the well known and described "Pink" wire of the J50 connector fame.

To bore you with the details; J50 pin 13 "Blue" wire is the trigger which switches the Multi-Display to the camera mode. This is a +12v trigger, not the neg ground that has been mentioned here. This receives it's signal from JQ1 (which you really don't need to know).

To provide the override you must send a +12v signal to pin 13. The way I have accomplished this is by cutting the "Blue" wire. I re-routed this wire through a relay which in the NC (normally closed or non-energized) position the wire acts as though it was never cut and is as originally wired. Once the relay is energized, this wire is broken and the connector end is connected to a +12v source. This then tells the Multi-Display to switch to the rear camera. I used the +12v from the "Orange" wire on connector J50. It is from the Accessory circuit and therefore only energized when the ignition is on. This is seen in the schematic below.

Then I decided it would be nice to have an indicator LED to remind me that I am switched on to the modification. This was accomplished through the other side of the DPDT relay. To keep this simple I created a pdf schematic showing how I did this and with the part numbers for the relay and switch.

I then routed the switch to the left side of the steering column and used on of the "dummy" plugs adjacent to the shade switch. I have a photo of this. I will try to upload it if I can figure out how.

This worked beautifully the first time. It does not interfere with the navigation so there is no delay for "catch-up" when you turn the switch off. here was no need to interfere with the gray wire that Airwolfe had suggested as a possibile need. I belive that with a review of the schematic and this information, you will find this an easy modification. Now that I have done it, I'm just not sure why I need it.

I hope this helps and answers the questions that only testing as this can provide.

Has anyone else tried this? The reason I ask is that the diagram in the pdf is a bit of it shows 5 above 3. Also a quick question about relays if you already have a DPDT relay laying around and do not care about running an LED can you still use the one side of the dpdt or do you need to use a spst relay?
Old 12-02-06, 01:00 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
Has anyone else tried this? The reason I ask is that the diagram in the pdf is a bit of it shows 5 above 3. Also a quick question about relays if you already have a DPDT relay laying around and do not care about running an LED can you still use the one side of the dpdt or do you need to use a spst relay?
SilverLexo,

Second question first. You have to use either a SPDT or one side of a DPDT relay to accomplish this mod without a LED. A SPST will NOT work for this. The arm of the relay must have two poles. One to pick up the trigger voltage from the car in the NC (normally closed) side and the other pole to pick up the 12v trigger you will provide from the "orange" wire, NO (normally open)to create the overide.

The first question is easy. 5 and 3 refer to the pin numbers of the Radio Shack relay I referenced for this mod. Nothing more. 5 is over 3 for clarity of my drawing! If you have a different relay, great, just review the operation of the circuit and change the pin numbers to match the identical operation of your relay. If you are unfamiliar as to how to do that, I would reccommend that you just purchase the Radio Shack relay and follow the schematic. Hope this helps. This a very simple modification.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera