IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Fob Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 12:26 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Question

I hope to get my car this week. I had a question that I did not see addressed in the manual. If you have two fobs programmed to two different seating/mirror/wheel position, and if both fobs enter the car (one on me and one with my wife for example), what happens with the linked seat memory? Is it dependent on which one is closer to the driver seat position?
Old 05-17-06, 12:32 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turkoman
I hope to get my car this week. I had a question that I did not see addressed in the manual. If you have two fobs programmed to two different seating/mirror/wheel position, and if both fobs enter the car (one on me and one with my wife for example), what happens with the linked seat memory? Is it dependent on which one is closer to the driver seat position?
The fobs have no memory to them. You set your personal settings through the car and you have to press the button on the door as to which driver you are.
Old 05-17-06, 12:39 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Payam
The fobs have no memory to them. You set your personal settings through the car and you have to press the button on the door as to which driver you are.
I am pretty sure you can tie a fob to a memory position. I saw that in the manual.
Old 05-17-06, 12:44 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by Turkoman
I am pretty sure you can tie a fob to a memory position. I saw that in the manual.
You can, but it only works if you use the fob to unlock the car with the button on the fob. In other words, walking up to the car with the fob and using the keyless entry detection system to open the door doesn't trigger the memory function. You have to actually hit the unlock on the fob itself, which is how it knows which fob, and hence which memory position, to set the seat to.
Old 05-17-06, 12:45 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

You're right. The fob can be tied to the seating position, but I'm not sure about the answer to your question. My guess is that it will recognize which one is on the driver's side of the car (similar to unlocking mechanism).
Old 05-17-06, 12:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm
You can, but it only works if you use the fob to unlock the car with the button on the fob. In other words, walking up to the car with the fob and using the keyless entry detection system to open the door doesn't trigger the memory function. You have to actually hit the unlock on the fob itself, which is how it knows which fob, and hence which memory position, to set the seat to.
Oh, good to know.
Old 05-17-06, 01:04 PM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

MonkeyFarm is absolutely right on target. You MUST press the Unlock button on the fob in order for the memory positions assoicated with it to take effect. Walking up to the car and using the keyless entry will NOT kick off a preset memory. The same is true when programming the fob to a particular memory (1,2,3) location.
Old 05-17-06, 01:08 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Thanks for all the replies.

Would have been nice if it did not require hitting the unlock button on the key fob but I can certainly live with that.
Old 05-17-06, 02:03 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm

Ummm, not true. When I walk up to the car it remembers my settings without having to press any button.

When my girlfriend and I both enter the car, the car takes the settings of whoever touches the drivers side door first. For instance if she touches the passenger side first, the car will not remember my settings. However, if we're both walking up to the car, and I touch the driver's side handle first, it will adjust to my settings.

NO NEED TO PRESS ANY BUTTONS.
Old 05-17-06, 02:11 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hashs99
Ummm, not true. When I walk up to the car it remembers my settings without having to press any button.

When my girlfriend and I both enter the car, the car takes the settings of whoever touches the drivers side door first. For instance if she touches the passenger side first, the car will not remember my settings. However, if we're both walking up to the car, and I touch the driver's side handle first, it will adjust to my settings.

NO NEED TO PRESS ANY BUTTONS.

I concur. No need to press anything. I think this is a very cool feature for people who share the car.
Old 05-18-06, 08:19 AM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

My apologies gentlemen ... I stand corrected - You guys are correct - NO NEED TO PRESS ANY BUTTONS. Once the fob is paired to your memory setting, just walking up to the car and opening the door starts the mrmory to reset the pre-fixed positions.
Old 05-18-06, 11:13 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet . . . good lookin out guys.
Old 07-10-06, 10:28 AM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

Slightly off-topic question here, so I'm cross-posting it in the RX sub-forum. Does anyone know if this works for the RX 350? Obviously, not the part about not having to press anything. I just want to know if my wife & I can program our keys to be associated with the 2 driver memory positions, so that we can just press the unlock button and it will automatically recognize us as either Driver 1 or Driver 2 w/o having to press the seat memory button.

I did look in the manual, but couldn't find anything. I also asked the dealer, who said it was impossible - but he was wrong about a couple other things, like being able to add numbers to the phone book manually & changing the navi keyboard layout to "qwerty"... so I figure it can't hurt to double-check!
Old 07-12-06, 08:32 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Originally Posted by XKronite
MonkeyFarm is absolutely right on target. You MUST press the Unlock button on the fob in order for the memory positions assoicated with it to take effect. Walking up to the car and using the keyless entry will NOT kick off a preset memory. The same is true when programming the fob to a particular memory (1,2,3) location.
Crazy cause after I tied my husband's and my fobs to the pre-set 1 & 2, all we have to do is walk up to the car, touch the handle and the seat will change...i.e. if my husband drove the car before me and I then walk up to the car and touch the handle to unlock it, my pre-set settings "kick-in" as soon as I hear the unlock beep. The only time this will not work, is if the car is not locked when I walk up to it.........
Old 07-12-06, 12:00 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mkivbadger
Crazy cause after I tied my husband's and my fobs to the pre-set 1 & 2, all we have to do is walk up to the car, touch the handle and the seat will change...i.e. if my husband drove the car before me and I then walk up to the car and touch the handle to unlock it, my pre-set settings "kick-in" as soon as I hear the unlock beep. The only time this will not work, is if the car is not locked when I walk up to it.........
Finish reading the thread before hitting the reply button. Four posts from the one you quoted, Xkronkite corrected his initial statement with: "My apologies gentlemen ... I stand corrected - You guys are correct - NO NEED TO PRESS ANY BUTTONS. Once the fob is paired to your memory setting, just walking up to the car and opening the door starts the mrmory to reset the pre-fixed positions."

Quick Reply: Key Fob Question