IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seattlelite's first attempt at a REAL detail...

Old 05-15-06, 02:28 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
who coulda thought the color black could reflect so much Godly Lighting
Actually, it's SGM.
Old 05-15-06, 05:38 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Kermee,

Looking Great!

I really like the deep and wet shine you produced.

Enjoy,

TripleL
Old 05-15-06, 09:18 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
So I went crazy last week and ordered a Cyclo and a bunch of other stuff on Tuesday. Everything arrived by Saturday. 8 hours later, this is what I ended up with...
Holy Cow!!! Nice!!! I wonder if my silver car could ever have that kind of shine? I've never owned a silver car before....
Old 05-15-06, 09:25 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Kermee--- you're officially invited to my house for a detailing party.
Old 05-15-06, 09:30 AM
Kermee
Lead Lap

My 2IS is black. Monkeyfarm's is SGM I believe.
Old 05-15-06, 10:44 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Black IS = The best color there IS

Ok, Im biased
Old 05-15-06, 11:01 AM
Kermee
Lead Lap

So here's the steps I did (Finally found some free-time to write it all down):

1. Washed car with Dawn Original soap. (Basically strip wax, etc. off the paint).
2. Clayed the car with Blackfire PolyClay II.
3. Used Menzerna Intense Polish with orange pads on the Cyclo (to remove swirls and light scratches). I also got a bottle of 3M's Finesse-It II and will try it next time. I have a feeling it's a bit more abrasive than the Menzerna Intense Polish.
4. Switched to the P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to prep it for sealing with yellow pads and the Cyclo. I also had a matching Menzerna bottle of Finish Polish but decided to try P21S this time.
5. Quick once-over wipedown with 100% microfiber towels.
6. Created Zaino Z-2 Pro and ZFX solution and did the 3 coats by hand with a 100% cotton applicator pad. (I've been told I used too much and that I should spray down the applicator pad with Z-6 and get the thinnest film of Z-2 Pro on the car as possible... according to posts on Autopia).
7. Wiped down the car with Zaino Z-6 High Finish Gloss (Detailing Spray).

Approx. time: About 8 hours, a banana, two Fuji apples and 3 Cokes.

Out of all the steps, don't skimp on the polishing. The quality of the polish makes the biggest difference in the end it seems .

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-15-06, 11:17 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Kermee,

Where did you get all of your equipment and material? Autopia? I am receiving my IS in about a month and want to make sure I take VERY good care of the paint . . . I have a friend that is a GREAT detailer so I just need to know where to get this great stuff and what all to get (for him to use).

Also would you guys recommend getting a clear bra right after I get the car from the dealer, or wait to get it home, detailed, then take it?
Old 05-15-06, 11:23 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

So here's the steps I did (Finally found some free-time to write it all down):

1. Washed car with Dawn Original soap. (Basically strip wax, etc. off the paint).
2. Clayed the car with Blackfire PolyClay II.
3. Used Menzerna Intense Polish with orange pads on the Cyclo (to remove swirls and light scratches). I also got a bottle of 3M's Finesse-It II and will try it next time. I have a feeling it's a bit more abrasive than the Menzerna Intense Polish.
4. Switched to the P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to prep it for sealing with yellow pads and the Cyclo. I also had a matching Menzerna bottle of Finish Polish but decided to try P21S this time.
5. Quick once-over wipedown with 100% microfiber towels.
6. Created Zaino Z-2 Pro and ZFX solution and did the 3 coats by hand with a 100% cotton applicator pad. (I've been told I used too much and that I should spray down the applicator pad with Z-6 and get the thinnest film of Z-2 Pro on the car as possible... according to posts on Autopia).
7. Wiped down the car with Zaino Z-6 High Finish Gloss (Detailing Spray).

Approx. time: About 8 hours, a banana, two Fuji apples and 3 Cokes.

Out of all the steps, don't skimp on the polishing. The quality of the polish makes the biggest difference in the end it seems .

Cheers,
Kermee

FYI, Menzerna IP would not have been my first choice. It's pretty abrasive stuff, especially with a cutting pad, and I doubt your paint was anywhere near bad enough to need that kind of attention. If you like Menzerna, FPII (finishing polish) would have been a better choice.
Old 05-15-06, 01:33 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm
FYI, Menzerna IP would not have been my first choice. It's pretty abrasive stuff, especially with a cutting pad, and I doubt your paint was anywhere near bad enough to need that kind of attention. If you like Menzerna, FPII (finishing polish) would have been a better choice.
Hi monkeyfarm,

Yeah. Once I started seeing what Menzerna IP was doing, I went pretty light with it. And now that it's polished fairly well, I probably won't be using it for a LONG time now and sticking to either the FPII or P21S. However, the IP did a great job on where I had baked-on bird droppings (the pitfalls of living near water... darn seagulls) and would not come out no matter how hard I washed it and some relatively deep scratches I had in the clearcoat where I could feel the scratches with my fingernails.

Thanks for all the tips!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-15-06, 01:47 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
who coulda thought the color black could reflect so much Godly Lighting
any physicist in the would. black = absence of color (to the human eye)
Old 05-15-06, 04:27 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Hi monkeyfarm,

Yeah. Once I started seeing what Menzerna IP was doing, I went pretty light with it. And now that it's polished fairly well, I probably won't be using it for a LONG time now and sticking to either the FPII or P21S. However, the IP did a great job on where I had baked-on bird droppings (the pitfalls of living near water... darn seagulls) and would not come out no matter how hard I washed it and some relatively deep scratches I had in the clearcoat where I could feel the scratches with my fingernails.

Thanks for all the tips!

Cheers,
Kermee

Try a chemical paint cleaner next time for things like that. Some OTC like Meguiars will do the trick.
Old 05-15-06, 04:36 PM
gettingais
Rookie

Originally Posted by uschardcor
any physicist in the would. black = absence of color (to the human eye)
Black colors actually absorb all visible wavelenghts of light and do not reflect any. Therefore, we see an absence of color. So technically, black does not reflect light, its the clear coat, wax or metal flakes that we are seeing.
Old 05-20-06, 08:49 AM
Kavistar
Rookie

Kermee,

I just picked up my IS350 yesterday. I was also wondering if you had a clear bra installed and if I should get one? The dealer quoted me a price of around $1200 and I know I have seen cheaper prices that others have had it installed for on here. I don't live that far from you so I was wondering if you have one and where you might have had it installed. I was wondering how many people actually have one installed and if they think it is that important. The model they have in the showroom with it installed is white and you can really see the line across the top of the hood, but it might not look that bad on mine (SGM).

Thanks,
Kavistar
Old 05-20-06, 08:55 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

I would get a clear bra if i were you, it seems these new paints are pretty soft . . . im just wondering if i should detail (like above) before of after I install a clear bra, so maybe they will answer that question as well.