IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Gas milage on PWR mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 09:13 AM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gas milage on PWR mode

I just fall in love when I drive my IS350 on the PWR mode and never wanted to go back to the regular mode again . But since the gas price has rocketed so much in recently, I thought maybe I should hold back on the fun side a little bit and consume the gas a little wiser... Anyway, does anyone know what's the difference on gas milage between the regular mode and the PWR mode??
Old 05-11-06, 09:48 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by VanIS350
I just fall in love when I drive my IS350 on the PWR mode and never wanted to go back to the regular mode again . But since the gas price has rocketed so much in recently, I thought maybe I should hold back on the fun side a little bit and consume the gas a little wiser... Anyway, does anyone know what's the difference on gas milage between the regular mode and the PWR mode??
The car doesn't necessarily use more gas in PWR mode... your right foot just tends to enjoy life more, which uses more gas.

PWR mode simply sharpens throttle response and modifies shift points, but those shift points are only affected when you're dipping into the power... i.e. at light throttle cruise, there's really not much difference between normal mode.

My car stays in PWR all the time. I have a 55 mile one-way commute on surface roads at speeds of around 45mph to 80mph. I'm averaging 27mpg on this tank in the 350.
Old 05-11-06, 01:51 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm
The car doesn't necessarily use more gas in PWR mode... your right foot just tends to enjoy life more, which uses more gas.

PWR mode simply sharpens throttle response and modifies shift points, but those shift points are only affected when you're dipping into the power... i.e. at light throttle cruise, there's really not much difference between normal mode.

My car stays in PWR all the time. I have a 55 mile one-way commute on surface roads at speeds of around 45mph to 80mph. I'm averaging 27mpg on this tank in the 350.
Wow, 27mpg uh.. I only get 20-21mpg with PWR ECT on. Does that mean you hardly step on the gas petal aggressively?
Old 05-11-06, 01:56 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

On my IS 250 AWD, going to PWR mode didn't really affect my MPG even with about 40% stop-and-go city driving.

What REALLY affected my MPG was moving to using paddles exclusively. (22MPG vs. 17MPG). But when I'm using paddles, I'm holding MUCH higher RPM's a lot longer and driving a lot more aggressively.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-11-06, 01:58 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

It's fun to show the current MPG (the one with the bar that moves back and forth) and punching it. That like goes down to like nothing! Using gas, but oh so fun!
Old 05-11-06, 03:37 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by loftus112
Wow, 27mpg uh.. I only get 20-21mpg with PWR ECT on. Does that mean you hardly step on the gas petal aggressively?
Of course that's what it means. I could hardly have my foot to the floor all the time and get 27mpg. The biggest determinant of mileage (within the range that a particular vehicle is capable of) is driving style. Everyone's surprised when they buy a Honda Civic, cane it everywhere they go, and only get 28mpg. All it takes is steady throttle inputs and some self control, and you can hit the high end of the spectrum without much trouble. And I'm not a slow driver by any stretch of the imagination. I passed 6 cars in total on the way in to work today (this being on a 2-lane back road) in order to maintain something like a 65mph cruise... but I didn't put my foot to the floor to get around them. Nice and easy'll do the trick in most situations.

That being said, I still love to hammer it on a back road when I'm all alone, at which point the mileage goes to hell. But on the commute to work, it's not worth the extra gas to speed up just to get closer to the next wall of traffic.
Old 05-13-06, 05:27 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I've noticed that if I drive in PWR mode on the highway, my gas mileage sucks. I tend to turn it off for highway driving. I find PWR most useful for its quicker throttle response in city driving or on country roads (white knuckle driving!)
On the highway, it causes uncessessary downshifts. I find that the car has enough torque to not require too many downshifts on the highway.
Old 05-13-06, 07:12 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VanIS350

I do 90% city driving, and keep PWR on all the time. I've not noticed any decrease in mileage. Right now, I'm at 20.6 on the current tankful. I have to admit, I like to put the pedal to the metal. Must have something to do with having driven an M3 prior to the IS.

Dave

ps, I've never hit 21mpg on a tankful on the 350, but for sure hit that on my M3. In fact, I never hit less than 21mpg on the M3.
Old 07-28-06, 01:07 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys, gas mileage has been pretty bad on my is350, gas light comes on around 240 miles and most of my driving is done in the city but i don't beat on it at all. Car has 700 miles now, Averaging only 16mpg, i hope it improves!! i''l be happy with 20mpg

thanks
Old 07-28-06, 01:19 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Salil022
Guys, gas mileage has been pretty bad on my is350, gas light comes on around 240 miles and most of my driving is done in the city but i don't beat on it at all. Car has 700 miles now, Averaging only 16mpg, i hope it improves!! i''l be happy with 20mpg

thanks
City driving kills MPG considerably unfortunately. It's a 3500+ lbs. vehicle.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-28-06, 01:30 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny how you guys are all checking your gas mileage....and so precisely. I have no idea what gas mileage I am getting....and don't care either. I buy gasoline from one place only and I drive the same regardless. No matter the price of gasoline. First because who has the time to deal with all of that and second, it's not going to matter much anyway (like balancing your checkbook to the penny doesn't help you save money). Well....at least for me it doesn't.
Old 07-28-06, 01:39 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

well its not about having too much time to watch your gas mileage, my previous car was 5spd SC300 and i used to beat it, gas mileage was way better. i still love the car but just wondering what other IS350 guys are getting?
Old 07-28-06, 02:16 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Everytime I fill up my average mpg is around 15.5-15.8, and I couldnt be happier .

BTW, I do 65%city / 35% highway.
Old 07-28-06, 02:45 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

On the tank I'm driving now, I am getting around 21 mpg as I do about 75% city/ 25% highway. On the last fill up, I got 230 miles out of 11 gallons. My car has about 450 miles and I don't punch it all the time while I'm doing city driving as cops here lurk around all day just to give tickets.
Old 07-28-06, 03:28 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

3K miles on my is 100% power mode and 90%+ city type driving.

16-17mpg average period. Never flux's

Quick Reply: Gas milage on PWR mode