IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

auto connecting 2 phones??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 06:16 PM
hashs99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto connecting 2 phones??

Sometimes my fiancée drives my car and her phone doesn't automatically connect, because my phone was selected previously.

She has to manually pick her phone. Is there anyway that the car will automatically detect her phone?
Old 05-10-06, 06:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afaik you cannot. bt doesn't work that way. when you pair, that means phone and car; not a third. you must unpair in order to repair lol.
Old 05-10-06, 06:50 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
afaik you cannot. bt doesn't work that way. when you pair, that means phone and car; not a third. you must unpair in order to repair lol.
I mean when I'm not in the car.

Let's say I'm driving the car Monday, my phone is selected. She drives Tuesday, she has to manually select her phone. No way around this?
Old 05-10-06, 06:56 PM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hashs99
I mean when I'm not in the car.

Let's say I'm driving the car Monday, my phone is selected. She drives Tuesday, she has to manually select her phone. No way around this?
answer in second post
Old 05-10-06, 07:05 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

I think you can....you need to create two different users. Then each users has their own phone paired.
Old 05-10-06, 07:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meteoro
I think you can....you need to create two different users. Then each users has their own phone paired.
sorry you cannot. only one user paired at a time, not two.

yes you can enter multiple phone profiles into the system.

but you can only pair to one phone at a time.
and you can only connect to one phone at a time.

the system can only auto connect to a phone that it is pair with.
the system cannot auto-connect to a phone whose profile is simply entered into the system.

you can manually connect and manually pair whever you want to only one phone at a time.

i don't use the bt in this car hardly ever, probably never. but i'm assuming this because this is how all bt devices work.
Old 05-11-06, 06:32 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

sorry you cannot. only one user paired at a time, not two.

yes you can enter multiple phone profiles into the system.

but you can only pair to one phone at a time.
and you can only connect to one phone at a time.
Understood, and agreed, you can only do one at a time. But that is exactly what he wants to do. He wants to be able to connect his phone when he drives, and her wife be able to connect hers when she uses the car. Not both at the same time.
Meaning that in his user profile, he will sync up his phone. When his profile is selected it will look for his phone.
Now on the second user profile (wife), he wil sync up his wife's phone. Now when her profile is selected, it will look for her phone only.

I am going to to try it...I have two bluetooth ready phones....I'll report back.
Old 05-11-06, 07:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meteoro
Understood, and agreed, you can only do one at a time. But that is exactly what he wants to do. He wants to be able to connect his phone when he drives, and her wife be able to connect hers when she uses the car. Not both at the same time.
Meaning that in his user profile, he will sync up his phone. When his profile is selected it will look for his phone.
Now on the second user profile (wife), he wil sync up his wife's phone. Now when her profile is selected, it will look for her phone only.

I am going to to try it...I have two bluetooth ready phones....I'll report back.
that will definitely work. in fact you should be able to store the profile for up to 6 bluetooth phones and then select whichever you wish....manually. just go into the list, find your phone, pair and then connect.

i wish the system would automatically scan for all bt phones and connect only to a bt phone that is stored in the profile starting in the order in which they are listed. when it finds the first one, it connects and stops.

but it doesn't work that way, unfortunately the bt spec calls for a pairing first before you connect. and pairing requires certaining security steps and i think that's where the manual steps come in.
Old 05-29-06, 01:00 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

i wish the system would automatically scan for all bt phones and connect only to a bt phone that is stored in the profile starting in the order in which they are listed. when it finds the first one, it connects and stops.
Dang! I was hoping it would work like that. I thought i was doing somthing wrong... I couldnt get 2 phones to pair automatically with the car.

My BMW allows me to do that... set my phone on top of the list and my gf's on the second and dads on the third and it will connect to who ever has highest priority automatically. So if I'm not around it will pick up my g/fs and if shes not around it'll take my dads... and if we're all in the car it will take mine.
Old 05-29-06, 08:30 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Dang! I was hoping it would work like that. I thought i was doing somthing wrong... I couldnt get 2 phones to pair automatically with the car.

My BMW allows me to do that... set my phone on top of the list and my gf's on the second and dads on the third and it will connect to who ever has highest priority automatically. So if I'm not around it will pick up my g/fs and if shes not around it'll take my dads... and if we're all in the car it will take mine.
Thanks for the reply but I don't see how this is accomplished given the way bluetooth works. Does the BMW automatically pair with other BT devices without a manual acknowledgment? Maybe BMW has an implementation of their own that doesn't follow the standard spec....
Old 05-29-06, 10:31 AM
ocdavid
Rookie

The way most Bluetooth kits work is:

1. You have to first pair the phone with the car kit. Once this is done for the first time, it does not need to be done again.

2. If the car kit is set to auto connect, like the Lexus kit, you need not do anything.

3. Multiple phone setup.
Example: You have 3 bluetooth phones that have all been paired with the car kit. Phone 1 is the first phone paired, it is the primary phone. The kit will auto pair with this phone first. So if all 3 paired phones are in the car, phone 1 will auto connect. If Phone 2 and Phone 3 are in the car but not phone 1, phone 2 will auto connect and so on. You can always manually change which phone is connected, however the kit will only auto connect to the highest phone in it's memory.

If you have any questions regarding anything bluetooth, please let me know as I am a Bluetooth tech for GotBluetooth.
Old 05-29-06, 12:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ocdavid
The way most Bluetooth kits work is:

1. You have to first pair the phone with the car kit. Once this is done for the first time, it does not need to be done again.

2. If the car kit is set to auto connect, like the Lexus kit, you need not do anything.

3. Multiple phone setup.
Example: You have 3 bluetooth phones that have all been paired with the car kit. Phone 1 is the first phone paired, it is the primary phone. The kit will auto pair with this phone first. So if all 3 paired phones are in the car, phone 1 will auto connect. If Phone 2 and Phone 3 are in the car but not phone 1, phone 2 will auto connect and so on. You can always manually change which phone is connected, however the kit will only auto connect to the highest phone in it's memory.

If you have any questions regarding anything bluetooth, please let me know as I am a Bluetooth tech for GotBluetooth.
Unfortunately most auto BT kits do not allow multiple pairing. However, this might be already changing for newer cars as mentioned above, this BWM kit might be like this; don't know, have not seen the new BMW setup. Unless you pair multiple BT devices with one kit, you won't be able to setup multiple phones to automatically connect.

There are also several BT headsets that allow multiple pairing so you can easily and seamlessly switch from one phone to another while wearing your BT headset.

Multiple pairing in the past has prbably been a security issue but perhaps it has been overcome. Multiple pairing is probably a good thing and should be universal one day when done correctly and securely. Even multiple connections might be pretty cool.
Old 05-29-06, 03:19 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply but I don't see how this is accomplished given the way bluetooth works. Does the BMW automatically pair with other BT devices without a manual acknowledgment? Maybe BMW has an implementation of their own that doesn't follow the standard spec....

No the BMW doesnt auto pair with other devices... only up to 4 that you have to first set it up just like you do on the IS. Theres only one menu where the car is "discoverable" by other devices. And once you do that you'll have to enter in the same pin for both the car and the phone and they will be paired. You repeat this for up to 4 phones and its listed inside the iDrive and it will just go down the list and search for the phones everytime it starts up. Once if finds one of the 4 (or less) phones that have previously paired with the car it will automatically be paired to it. Very smart way of doing it.

And as for "User profiles" BMW has that too but they are linked with the key. Also up to 4 "keys" and each user or better yet "KEY" has 2 memory seats linked to it by pushing the memory seat button. So One key has 2 memory seat / mirror setting but share the same radio and calimate setting.

Basically I have a key the g/f has a key and all our radio stations, seat, steering, mirror settings, and temperature and air vent settings are all linked to the key. If I use my key to unlock or start the car all the setting will revert back to the way I last left it the way I like it and when she unlocks of starts the car with her key the car will revert back to the way she last left it.

On the top of page 9. Kind of briefly tells what i'm was trying to say with how the BT connects.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bluetooth_E60_1.pdf (152.5 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by EBMCS03; 05-29-06 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-29-06, 03:24 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

ARGH... Page 9 is the 1st page here... stupid 200K upload limitation...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bluetooth_E60_2.pdf (144.6 KB, 229 views)
Old 05-29-06, 05:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

yeah that's too bad the lexus doesn't work like that.

Quick Reply: auto connecting 2 phones??