IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Homelink programming problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 08:45 PM
ZoomIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink programming problems

I was able to program my garage door the first time, but I am having trouble getting the code to take for my security gate. I read the manual and tried 10-15 times with NO luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ZoomIS350
Old 05-03-06, 11:13 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZoomIS350
I was able to program my garage door the first time, but I am having trouble getting the code to take for my security gate. I read the manual and tried 10-15 times with NO luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ZoomIS350
The included instructions in the 2IS manuals aren't too great. I'd check the Homelink website for additional troubleshooting of programming it for your security gate.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-04-06, 02:33 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem with mine. I asked one of the techs and he told me that after a certain amount of time, the system locks out and you can't add anymore codes to it without resetting it. So you have to reset the homelink system and add all of your different garage's within a couple of days. To reset the homelink, I can't remember exactly, but I think you have to hold down buttons 1 and 3 for like 30 secs. I'm sure you can call your service dept and they can tell you how to do it real quick.
Old 05-04-06, 08:11 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't get the community security gate to work for some reason but I'm guessing that it needs some of a learn button just like some garages do (climb up to the garage box thing and press train and then calibrate the homelink). I don't think those gates would have a learn button or it's probably not accessible? Not sure on this though...
Old 05-04-06, 04:52 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Here is the detail instruction that I got from my Lexus dealer:
PROGRAMMING YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER
1-800-355-3515 – Homelink Help Center

Park your vehicle outside the garage with the engine running.
Open the garage door using the existing remote.
Position a stepladder or stool beneath the garage door opener unit.
Look on the back of the unit to see of there is a button (usually red, sometimes black) labeled ‘train’ – ‘learn’ – ‘code’ – or something similar.
If you have this button, DON’T PUSH IT NOW!!
If you don’t have this button, skip to SECTION TWO.
Return to the vehicle and close the garage door using the existing remote.
Locate the Homelink buttons in your vehicle…there are three buttons with a small Homelink ‘house’ icon usually located next to the sunroof controls.
Push the outer two buttons at the same time, and hold them until the light in the Homelink icon begins to blink rapidly…usually about 20 seconds. This will clear the system and set it up to accept new commands. (NOTE: The garage door should be closed at this point)
Choose which button you want to program, and push and hold it down. At the same time, push and hold down the button on the existing remote, beaming it at the button you are holding down. The light in the Homelink icon will blink slowly at first and then rapidly…this lets you know that the button is programmed, and you can let go of both. (NOTE: The garage door should now be open, allowing you to enter the garage)
Now, push the red/black button on the garage door opener unit in the garage…an indicator light should begin blinking on the back of the unit.
Quickly return to the vehicle…you have about 30 seconds to complete this next step.
Repeatedly push and release the button you programmed until the garage door begins to close…usually no more than ten times. Let the door close.
Congratulations!!! You have just successfully programmed your opener!!! To test, push the programmed button on the Homelink and the door should open. Repeat as required to program your remaining garage doors or gate.

SECTION TWO

Return to the vehicle and close the garage door using the existing remote.
Locate the Homelink buttons in your vehicle…there are three buttons with a small Homelink ‘house’ icon usually located next to the sunroof controls.
Push the outer two buttons at the same time, and hold them until the light in the Homelink icon begins to blink rapidly…usually about 20 seconds. This will clear the system and set it up to accept new commands. (NOTE: The garage door should be closed at this point)
Choose which button you want to program, and push and hold it down. At the same time, push and hold down the button on the existing remote, beaming it at the button you are holding down, which will open the garage door. The light in the Homelink icon will blink slowly at first and then rapidly…this lets you know that the button is programmed, and you can let go of both.
Congratulations!!! You have just successfully programmed your opener!!! To test, push the programmed button on the Homelink and the door should close. Repeat as required to program your remaining garage doors or gate.
Old 05-04-06, 05:55 PM
rys
Pole Position

Gates are different.

In certain versions of the Homelink programming instructions, there are different instructions for gate openers and Canadian garage door openers and gates.

Evidentally in Canada there's some sort of transmit restriction limiting garage door device transmissions to two seconds. Check the Homelink website for Canadian instructions.

Here's an excerpt:

During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. If necessary, follow steps 5-7 to complete the training for a rolling code device.

-Brian
Old 05-04-06, 05:58 PM
rys
Pole Position

Also, if your gate remote is a Genie or Chamberlain Security Plus+ (black case with grey buttons), it's a rolling code opener. You'll need access to the opener device to link against the home link against the opener.

-Brian
Old 05-04-06, 08:30 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Sorta had the same problem, bought a new garage door opener and could not get the homelink to work until I went to the website of the opener and there is a learn button on the opener that had to be pressed.
Old 05-05-06, 08:20 AM
taejin09
Lead Lap

TIM thank you again!!!! I could not figure it out and I thought it was just my garage opener. Thank you! Your way worked perfectly
Old 05-06-06, 08:50 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by taejin09
TIM thank you again!!!! I could not figure it out and I thought it was just my garage opener. Thank you! Your way worked perfectly
No problem But if you couldn't find out a way to program your garage opener to work, call your Lexus dealer and they will send someone out to your house to program it for you. Gotta love the Lexus service.
Old 05-21-06, 02:25 PM
SoCal_IS
Driver School Candidate

Hats off to you tim! I finally got my homelink programmed to open my garage door (using your instructions) after struggling with it for about a week.

Old 05-24-06, 05:09 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Tim....Thanks a million!!!

This worked beautifully for my IS350. (Which I wasn't able to do yet.)

Not only that, but I have tried for sooooo long to get this to work on my 98 Accord that finally gave up and kept my remote in my car, but I used these same instructions and it now works

Thanks again for such an easy, clear explanation that I even got my old car to work.

Kavistar
Old 05-24-06, 05:26 PM
federalman
Rookie

can any one post picture of the home link unit for me.

maybe the part # too..

I like to install it in my car if it is possible.
Old 05-24-06, 10:02 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Originally Posted by federalman
can any one post picture of the home link unit for me.

maybe the part # too..

I like to install it in my car if it is possible.

I don't have a picture of it or the part number, but it is all included in rear view mirror. It is a one piece unit with the mirror. If you actually need a picture of it I can take one for you...let me know.
Old 05-30-06, 06:11 PM
federalman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kavistar
I don't have a picture of it or the part number, but it is all included in rear view mirror. It is a one piece unit with the mirror. If you actually need a picture of it I can take one for you...let me know.
Please show me the picture of the mirrow.

I am thinking of getting it for my car in Taiwan, just have to find out if it actually work with my garage.

Quick Reply: Homelink programming problems