IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My car has gone haywire =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 10:21 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car has gone haywire =(

Ok so this morning as I'm driving to work, I went to adjust the treble and I suddenly stopped hearing any music. The screen shows that the cd is still playing but no sound was coming out of the speakers whatsoever. I crank up the volume. Nothing. At this point, I can't see the volume going up or down when I turn the ***. I then hit the voice command button and the screen shows that I've canceled the voice command option. I was like WTH? I didn't even know how to disable this option! I went back to see if I could adjust the treble and it wouldn't work. Nothing in terms of audio controls worked. The cd's would still play but no sound was coming out. Radio would turn on too but again, no sound. I figured great...I gotta get my a$$ over to the dealership after work and what do you know...after work, I hopped in my car and everything's working again! I guess when I turned off my car and later restarted it when I got out of work, everything was reset? Could the problem be this simple or was it a glitch in the ML system? What do you guys think?

So that was the beginning of my car woes...

Fast forward to a few hours after work. As I'm driving to school, the master warning light AND the low tire pressure light both suddenly turned on. I pulled over to read the manual to find out what these lights were and once I figured it was the tire pressure, I got myself to the gas station. I checked the tire pressure in all 4 tires and they were fine. I tried to get my car into a Lexus service center but they were all closed. I'm not too concerned about the low tire pressure but what worries me the most is the master warning light.

This car is only a little over a month old! I shouldn't be having all of these problems. Did I get me a lemon or what? Oh, I should also mention that sometimes when I brake, my car makes this weird shuddering/grinding noise. It happens only sometimes and not all the time so I never bothered to have it checked out. Plus, I don't know if this is happening to other people?

Sorry for such a long post. I'm just so sad...
Old 04-24-06, 10:27 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Ok so this morning as I'm driving to work, I went to adjust the treble and I suddenly stopped hearing any music. The screen shows that the cd is still playing but no sound was coming out of the speakers whatsoever. I crank up the volume. Nothing. At this point, I can't see the volume going up or down when I turn the ***. I then hit the voice command button and the screen shows that I've canceled the voice command option. I was like WTH? I didn't even know how to disable this option! I went back to see if I could adjust the treble and it wouldn't work. Nothing in terms of audio controls worked. The cd's would still play but no sound was coming out. Radio would turn on too but again, no sound. I figured great...I gotta get my a$$ over to the dealership after work and what do you know...after work, I hopped in my car and everything's working again! I guess when I turned off my car and later restarted it when I got out of work, everything was reset? Could the problem be this simple or was it a glitch in the ML system? What do you guys think?

I was going to post the same experience. Mine did the EXACT same thing. All audio functions froze as you described. Knowing electronics/computers, I immediately pulled over stopped/started the car and everything was fine. I didn't mind since I was in a neighborhood, but would've been pissed if it happened on the highway. Hopefully it's an isolated glitch and not a sign of a future problem.
Old 04-24-06, 10:36 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eeeek.. sorry to hear about your probs sexi_lexi =(

i have no issues w/ my brakin noises....

just that engine ticking noise (direct injection) bothered me at first....but now that i know its common.. ah well.

hopefully you can swing by the service center for a check up
Old 04-24-06, 10:40 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Fast forward to a few hours after work. As I'm driving to school, the master warning light AND the low tire pressure light both suddenly turned on. I pulled over to read the manual to find out what these lights were and once I figured it was the tire pressure, I got myself to the gas station. I checked the tire pressure in all 4 tires and they were fine. I tried to get my car into a Lexus service center but they were all closed. I'm not too concerned about the low tire pressure but what worries me the most is the master warning light.

This car is only a little over a month old! I shouldn't be having all of these problems. Did I get me a lemon or what? Oh, I should also mention that sometimes when I brake, my car makes this weird shuddering/grinding noise. It happens only sometimes and not all the time so I never bothered to have it checked out. Plus, I don't know if this is happening to other people?

As I was driving home form the DEALERSHIP after I picked up the car, my tire pressure/master warning light came on too. It said CHECK SYSTEM. I called the dealership and they said my Tire Pressure Monitor had been selected to "2nd" and not "Main". Check it out, Thats in the menus next to the SPEED and TACH settings.

After having a master warning light come on when I got the car, and now seeing nothing but problems, im wordering if this was a good buy. I hear nothing but kudos about this car and two weeks later im reading buckets of issues....
Old 04-24-06, 11:06 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well just be thankfull that you're not driving a bimmer or benz, notorious for electrical glitches... I constantly have to "reboot" our S55 for something stupid. My IS hasn't had any issues as of nearly 8k on the odo.
Old 04-24-06, 11:34 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikewpu04
As I was driving home form the DEALERSHIP after I picked up the car, my tire pressure/master warning light came on too. It said CHECK SYSTEM. I called the dealership and they said my Tire Pressure Monitor had been selected to "2nd" and not "Main". Check it out, Thats in the menus next to the SPEED and TACH settings.

After having a master warning light come on when I got the car, and now seeing nothing but problems, im wordering if this was a good buy. I hear nothing but kudos about this car and two weeks later im reading buckets of issues....
Ah ha! that was the prob. I did as you suggested and it turned out that I I had the tire pressure monitor on "2nd" instead of "main" as was your case. I switched it back to main and the warning lights went away.

This is why I'm addicted to CL! Almost everything and anything I ever wanted to know about this car is on this forum.

Eventually I'll have to bring the car in for the brake noise though. Don't get me wrong...I truly do LOVE this car. I look forward to having an excuse to drive simply because I enjoy driving this car so much.

I was going to delete this thread but I decided to keep it up instead in case something like this happened to someone else. And if anyone has an answer to why the audio controls freeze, pls do share.
Old 04-24-06, 11:37 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

The problem with your ML is that the ML amplifier is defective and is going into "protect" mode. Amplifiers go into this mode when they overheat, power current is faulty, wrong wiring, etc. The reason why the ML system worked after you turned the car off and re-started it is because it resets the "protect" mode of the amplifier.

My ML had the same problem and because I spent several years messing around with sound systems, HIDs, alarms, etc I was able to troubleshoot it immediately. I took my car to the dealership and they checked the ML amp and found it faulty, so they ordered a new one and will install it as soon as it arrives!! I bet your car has the same problem as mine Hope this helps!!!
Old 04-24-06, 11:46 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alex350
The problem with your ML is that the ML amplifier is defective and is going into "protect" mode. Amplifiers go into this mode when they overheat, power current is faulty, wrong wiring, etc. The reason why the ML system worked after you turned the car off and re-started it is because it resets the "protect" mode of the amplifier.

My ML had the same problem and because I spent several years messing around with sound systems, HIDs, alarms, etc I was able to troubleshoot it immediately. I took my car to the dealership and they checked the ML amp and found it faulty, so they ordered a new one and will install it as soon as it arrives!! I bet your car has the same problem as mine Hope this helps!!!
Ohh this makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for the info! I'm going to bring my car in for the brake noise and have them check out the ML amp per your suggestion. I read in some other thread on here that the ML system tends to have more probs than the stock stereo system. That totally sux.
Old 04-25-06, 12:40 AM
x986
Rookie

Default It seems to be going around

My ML system went down Monday too. No sound until I "rebooted" the car. OK now.
Old 04-25-06, 02:38 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

did you try a bunch of different radio stations, when mine froze, it wasn't my car, three radio stations in my area had gone out, just make sure its not because of that...
Old 04-25-06, 06:44 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

same happened to me awhile back: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193607
Old 04-25-06, 02:50 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by james6290
did you try a bunch of different radio stations, when mine froze, it wasn't my car, three radio stations in my area had gone out, just make sure its not because of that...
I tried 3 different cd's and 3 different radio stations. They were all playing but no sound was coming out of my speakers.

Originally Posted by kensteele
Ken, that's really interesting because mine did the same exact thing. I'm thinking it could be a number of things that went wrong: faulty amp, overheating, software issue. I guess that's what we get for such a technologically advanced car.

On another note, I had a monster cable plugged in for my iPOD when this happened. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it since you mentioned something about using the iPOD when it happened to yours? My iPOD wasn't plugged in at the time but the cable was...
Old 04-25-06, 04:01 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by x986
My ML system went down Monday too. No sound until I "rebooted" the car. OK now.
Same issue here... changed from a CD with a relatively low sound level to a DVD that has a huge sustained low note at the start, as soon as the note came on I reached for the volume but then it clicked and there was no sound at all... no volume numbers when you adjusted the volume in any mode, etc. Restarted the car and it was all fine. Either too much load and it clicked protect or perhaps my wiring wasn't the best on my DVD bypass...
Old 04-26-06, 11:25 AM
IELAWDOG
Driver School Candidate

Mine did the same thing. I had had the car about two days. I was listening to a CD and it cut out. It went silent and the volume control didn't do anything. I pulled over, turned off the car and it worked again. I haven't altered any of the wiring and did not have anyting plugged in (phone or player). It has not happened since (I've had the car about two weeks now).
Old 05-05-06, 05:16 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has there been a solution to these issues? I posted my problem in the ES 350 Forum, but come to think of it, not that many people have one yet. I can see the DVD play, but I hear no sound and cannot control the volume. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: My car has gone haywire =(