IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

SmartKey - Did you know...

Old 01-13-12, 01:05 PM
paulv7260
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worked like a champ on my 12 IS350. This is a really handy tip since I like to throw my laptop on the back seat before hopping in. All I have to do now is a glancing touch of the driver door handle on my way to the back seat door!

The feedback was 2 short beeps, a brief pause then 2 more short beeps.

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-12, 11:38 AM
Vipor
Rookie

Originally Posted by paulv7260
Worked like a champ on my 12 IS350. This is a really handy tip since I like to throw my laptop on the back seat before hopping in. All I have to do now is a glancing touch of the driver door handle on my way to the back seat door!

The feedback was 2 short beeps, a brief pause then 2 more short beeps.

Thanks!!
OK, since yours is a 2012 is350 like mine, did you do anything different than me?

- Walk up to the car (driver's side) while it is locked with remote in my hand.
- In my case, get to the driver's door and touch the inside of the handle to see if it unlocks. It does not unlock. The mud lights don't even light up. It's like the car does not know the remote is near.
- Now, with the remote about 5 inches from the driver's door handle, press lock and unlock on the remote a the same time and keep pressed for about 5 seconds until the car beeps 2 or 3 sets of double beeps.
- Release the buttons on the remote.
- Touch the inside of the handle to see if it unlocks. In my case, still does not unlock.

Did you do anything different than what I did?

Another odd behavior... when the remote was working properly, all I had to do was press the button on the handle to lock the car. It would give a quick short beep and the car would lock. Ever since the remote/car has not been working properly, I press the button and I get a long beep (about 4 or 5 seconds) and the car still does not lock. ANy ideas?
Old 01-15-12, 02:22 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

What if I use a window roll up module to roll up my windows? I could use the pulse that is sent to the door lock module to activate the window module...
Old 01-16-12, 03:19 AM
paulv7260
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vipor
OK, since yours is a 2012 is350 like mine, did you do anything different than me?

- In my case, get to the driver's door and touch the inside of the handle to see if it unlocks. It does not unlock. The mud lights don't even light up. It's like the car does not know the remote is near.
- Now, with the remote about 5 inches from the driver's door handle, press lock and unlock on the remote a the same time and keep pressed for about 5 seconds until the car beeps 2 or 3 sets of double beeps.
- Touch the inside of the handle to see if it unlocks. In my case, still does not unlock.

Another odd behavior... when the remote was working properly, all I had to do was press the button on the handle to lock the car. It would give a quick short beep and the car would lock. Ever since the remote/car has not been working properly, I press the button and I get a long beep (about 4 or 5 seconds) and the car still does not lock. ANy ideas?
Vipor

You described basically the same thing I did.

As you get in range with your smart key the puddle lights should come on and the door should unlock when you touch the inside of the handle. I'm no expert but have you tried your spare smart key? Possibly the one you are using has a bad battery or is defective.

Also, after going through the process open and close the door, walk away from the car, come back to see if it works. This is a longshot as it sounds like there is a more fundamental problem if the car no longer recognizes your smart key as you approach.

Pressing the button on the handle to lock the door is the standard behavior. The "long beep" may be a self-diagnostic beep that your dealer should recognize.

Paul
Old 01-16-12, 08:57 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Hi Vipor. Why don't you try this setting sitting inside your car. The only reason I can think of this not working for you is your battery being weak.
Old 01-16-12, 04:36 PM
Vipor
Rookie

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Hi Vipor. Why don't you try this setting sitting inside your car. The only reason I can think of this not working for you is your battery being weak.
Weak battery would be odd considering I just got the car from the dealership about 3 weeks ago. But, then again, the remotes could have been inventory remotes sitting on the shelves for months.

I will bring this up to the dealership when I go pick up my plates.
Old 01-23-12, 09:53 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Weak battery would be odd considering I just got the car from the dealership about 3 weeks ago. But, then again, the remotes could have been inventory remotes sitting on the shelves for months.

I will bring this up to the dealership when I go pick up my plates.
Yup just check it out and keep us updated. Sometimes the silliest of things can just slip our minds.
Old 01-23-12, 06:25 PM
Vipor
Rookie

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Yup just check it out and keep us updated. Sometimes the silliest of things can just slip our minds.
Yup! That's exactly what it was. A silly thing on my part.

I don't recall this but apparently at some point I placed my spare remote in my bag. For the past couple weeks, I have not been using the backpack thus it has just been sitting in the trunk (with spare remote in it). Yesterday, I read somewhere about having the spare key in the car. I went to check my bag and felt so silly when I found my spare in there.

Lesson learned.. DO NOT KEEP YOUR SPARE KEY IN THE CAR. LOL
Old 01-23-12, 06:39 PM
CloudN32
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a smardcard key, and would like my mirror and memory seat register to it. Does anyone know how to link memory seat and mirror to smardcard key. Not key fob
Old 01-24-12, 04:08 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

wohoo! it worked on mine!
Old 01-24-12, 04:11 PM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

holy moly I've been wanting to find the workaround to get all the doors to unlock from the drivers door for FOREVER. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old 01-24-12, 04:46 PM
haido84
Driver School Candidate

This worked for me. Thanks for the help
Old 01-25-12, 02:31 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

what other tricks can you share with us?
Old 01-25-12, 06:10 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CloudN32
I have a smardcard key, and would like my mirror and memory seat register to it. Does anyone know how to link memory seat and mirror to smardcard key. Not key fob
From page 58 of the manual
Using the door lock switch

Carry only the card key to which you want to link the driving position. If 2 or more keys are in the vehicle, the driving position cannot be linked properly. Close the driver's door and turn the “ENGINE START STOP” switch OFF.

While pressing the desired button (“1”, “2” or “3”), press the lock or unlock side on the driver’s door lock switch until the signal beeps.

The driving position is recalled when the driver's door is unlocked using the entry function or wireless remote control and the driver's door is opened.
Old 01-30-12, 08:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jgbackes
From page 58 of the manual
Using the door lock switch

Carry only the card key to which you want to link the driving position. If 2 or more keys are in the vehicle, the driving position cannot be linked properly. Close the driver's door and turn the “ENGINE START STOP” switch OFF.

While pressing the desired button (“1”, “2” or “3”), press the lock or unlock side on the driver’s door lock switch until the signal beeps.

The driving position is recalled when the driver's door is unlocked using the entry function or wireless remote control and the driver's door is opened.

Has anyone with an older model (ie before the smart key was offered with the car) gotten the above to work?

I've tried it a few times with my 2008 and it doesn't appear to.

If I hold down a memory button with the car "off" and then hold down the lock button the drivers door I hear the click of the lock, then nothing, no matter how long I hold the buttons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SmartKey - Did you know...