IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

It draws attention...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 01:15 PM
Advent
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ichigo
I work at fortune 500 company and get people admiring my car when Im driving around Los Angeles. No one thinks anything of me while at work because Im wearing business clothes. BUT when Im driving my car on the weekends and Im dressed down (sunglasses/hat/tshirt/jeans/sandals/etc) i get dirty looks because I look like another young asian kid with "rich" parents that bought me the car.

Which is extremely frustrating because I work hard to be able to afford this car. Its not my fault that I got a good job at young age and can afford this awesome car.
I hear an echo...lol..I know the feeling.
Old 04-21-06, 01:21 PM
Advent
Rookie

Originally Posted by knihc2008
haha! You know us GFMs, can't keep the people from flashing dirty looks at us from those CWs!
I'm telling ya,GFM is the best looking color for this car IMO.I cant tell you how many compliments I got from friends about this color..but thats a whole different tread.
Old 04-21-06, 01:22 PM
syn1313
Rookie

i once picked up my car from the valet and was coming around the corner when this guy stoped me and told me "hey , when you are done parking this car, go get mines for me, i'm in a hurry" so i was like yeah sure,, i'lll be right back.. and mashed on the gas .... i look young but hey,, i work very hard for my car and had to miss some meals saving for this car.. dammmmm you.. what ever....
Old 04-21-06, 01:23 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syn1313
i once picked up my car from the valet and was coming around the corner when this guy stoped me and told me "hey , when you are done parking this car, go get mines for me, i'm in a hurry" so i was like yeah sure,, i'lll be right back.. and mashed on the gas .... i look young but hey,, i work very hard for my car and had to miss some meals saving for this car.. dammmmm you.. what ever....
HAHAHA! Damn......that sucks dude. Haha, I would have taken his tip money first, then leave.
Old 04-21-06, 02:06 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I was harassed big time by a truck when I was driving my wife's loaner TSX. The guy behaved insane when it was totally uncalled for. Also the rest of the day, not a single soul would give me the right of way. I never ever got that in my RX 300, even when it was brand new. I think sports sedans draw more attention both in the form of admiration and hate for whatever reason. My guess is, not only do you have money but you are also more likely to be a spoiled brat is how they view it.

I also think cops are much more likely to pull over an IS going 20 miles over the speed limit than an RX. I think even they treat sports sedan drivers differently. Even if I drive the same style (which I probably won't) I feel that I will be more "at risk" with the IS.
Old 04-21-06, 02:20 PM
Unrl18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ichigo
I work at fortune 500 company and get people admiring my car when Im driving around Los Angeles. No one thinks anything of me while at work because Im wearing business clothes. BUT when Im driving my car on the weekends and Im dressed down (sunglasses/hat/tshirt/jeans/sandals/etc) i get dirty looks because I look like another young asian kid with "rich" parents that bought me the car.

Which is extremely frustrating because I work hard to be able to afford this car. Its not my fault that I got a good job at young age and can afford this awesome car.
I hear you man. Even when i get off my shift wearing my Docter's white coat, i still get those dirty looks. I wish i had a sign that says, "If you have worked as hard as me, you can also afford this car." or something like that.
Old 04-21-06, 02:24 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Just because I'm young, and female, I've had quite a few people give me the "daddy bought it" look and I've actually had people ASK me that....the nerve of some people And to think I've only had the car a week...btw CL has been EXTREMELY helpful, thanks everyone
Old 04-21-06, 02:35 PM
rys
Pole Position

I'm 26, and purchased my IS350 fully loaded (Sport, Nav, ML, Gspyder Wheels), paid in full with cash.

No one bought it for me, I worked for it, but a lot of people are jealous. - I actually have a second car - in part because of the fact that I know people get jealous. (I drive my Scion tC to certain areas in L.A. were either parking sucks, or crime is higher.)

-Brian
Old 04-21-06, 02:49 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i havent run into any "nasty looks" only looks of admiration i get stopped at least once everyday and told how awesome my car looks..yesterday the compliment was "that s**** is HOT!" lol it was so funny
Old 04-21-06, 02:50 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Advent
I wouldnt be so quick to judge..Those mini cooper s's are quick..
Please....

I've driven a 2005 Cooper S and don't get me wrong, they're quick, but we're not even talking the same LEAGUE here.

And yes, for anyone else wondering, GFM is the best color of this car...

Javier
Old 04-21-06, 03:20 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

Im with all of you that have professional jobs, but when Im not going to and from work, Im in jeans and ts or shorts. The looks are a bit disturbing here but I guess thats why I kept the old rig for crowded parking lots and sketchy parts of town. Why must people hate, I dont give any glares when I see a proud owner in his shiny new chevy aero.
Old 04-21-06, 03:22 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jhoo
Im with all of you that have professional jobs, but when Im not going to and from work, Im in jeans and ts or shorts. The looks are a bit disturbing here but I guess thats why I kept the old rig for crowded parking lots and sketchy parts of town. Why must people hate, I dont give any glares when I see a proud owner in his shiny new chevy aero.
Haha, Great minds think alike! I bought an SGM/Sport too, and I keep my second car around for the exact same reason.

-Brian
Old 04-21-06, 04:31 PM
artie00
Rookie

Ditto here. I'm also keeping my trusty Corolla around. Well I think if you've worked your butt off in school and work to get where you are in life and saved up to get this car, you deserve to have it. Just ignore the haters out there I say.
Old 04-21-06, 04:34 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by artie00
Ditto here. I'm also keeping my trusty Corolla around. Well I think if you've worked your butt off in school and work to get where you are in life and saved up to get this car, you deserve to have it. Just ignore the haters out there I say.
OMG ANOTHER SGM/Sport/NAV/ML

We should have a SoCal IS350 SGM meet, then a we can be hated together

-Brian
Old 04-21-06, 04:42 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Very good idea! I'm in!!!

Javier

Quick Reply: It draws attention...