IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Modifications - How far are you willing to go? Warranty? Driveability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 07:34 AM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modifications - How far are you willing to go? Warranty? Driveability?

Just curious how far everyone is going to modify their 2IS. Didn't want to start a new poll as there are so many out there. Here's my questions.

1. What are your modification plans?
2. Are you concerned about voiding your warranty?
3. How does Lexus generally handle warranty claims on a modified vehicle?
4. Are you concerned about affecting daily driveability?

I came from a highly modified Evo which I never had any problems because I believe in researching and modifying vehicles the proper and safest way with high quality parts.

However, when you do modify a vehicle you automatically take on certain risks such as: Parts breaking, voiding your warranty, more susceptible to vandalism/theft, affecting daily driveability, etc...

Your thoughts?
Old 04-20-06, 07:44 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. None

2. No

3. Any manufacturer can deny warranty covereage if they can show that the modification led to the failure of the part/mechanism/etc. for which you are making a claim. They cannot, for example, deny coverage of a faulty power seat mechanism if you put an exhaust on the car (although they may try). They can, however, make a good case for denying a claim made for a blown transmission if you have an aftermarket exhaust on the car (free flowing exhaust = more power = blown tranny)... a judge would certainly buy the argument.

4. Yes, which is why I'm leaving most things alone.
Old 04-20-06, 07:49 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

The only "mod" I'm planning at this time is an upgrade to the base stereo system in my car. I'm looking for a "stealth" upgrade that will add punch without muddiness.

As for performance mods, I am extremely pleased with the engine performance. Paraphrasing a comment made in an otherwise negative review of the car, the IS350 engine is "willing to go anytime, every time, all the God damn time." I agree -- that's what I love about it, and I'm not willing to sacrifice drivability or reliability for a few more ponies. As to handling, I'm not sure what, if anything, aftermarket companies can devise to improve the steering feel of the car. If someone were market a magic bullet to elevate steering feel to BMW levels, it would be hard not to consider it.
Old 04-20-06, 09:11 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Eibachs will be installed in a week or so, have 1/2 my wheels so far, will buy the LMS exhaust as soon as I can see what it looks like installed, and thats about it. Not worried about warranty. Did the same with my G and didn't have any problems.
Old 04-20-06, 09:46 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to mod it to the point where it sound like a buzzsaw and idle at 2500RPMs!!

Okay...I'm kidding about that part.

I'll just add the usual parts onto it....and we'll go from there. *COUGH* Forced Induction
Old 04-20-06, 10:07 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

bpu... It's pointless for me to spend too much on performance when I only have the 250 ... different story if I had a 350. I will be upgrading suspension though.. this car lacks in the handling department..
Old 04-20-06, 11:18 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

a. light weight forged wheels retaining the stock overall diameter and stagger while reducing weight and providing a slightly wider stance
b. single tip full titanium cat back exhaust to reduce weight
c. lowering springs or coilovers with a max drop of 1.5" Front and 1" in the rear
d. lightweight optima battery to reduce weight

2. not really

3. N/A No mods on my rx so I don't know. However, dealers will vary on their policies towards modifications.

4. Nope.
Old 04-20-06, 11:22 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

I'm curious to see what those, who have leased, are planning for mods. How far are willing to mod knowing that you have to restore the car to OEM at the end of the lease? (assuming you don't plan to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease).
Old 04-20-06, 11:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

whenever I get my IS350 I plan to:

1. 35% tint (legal limit in TX) all around, K&N drop in, exhaust, 19" wheels and tires, repaint the chrome area around the grille, possibly Fabulous front and rear body kit pieces. If headers come out later and show good enough gains that might be a consideration.

2. Not concerned about warranty, my prelude now is more modified with what I have planned for the IS and the dealer never gave me any trouble. Hell the car hasn't had any problems for me to take it to the dealer.

4. IS was a lot smoother and quieter than my lowered prelude on 215/35/18 rubber bands, not concerned about daily drivability.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-20-06 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 11:40 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Well I bought this car because of its smoothness and its awesome stereo system, so I don't want much getting in the way of that. So, no new exhaust, no new intake for me. If anything, 19" wheels and tints. No new suspension; the car is rough on expansion joints as is, and I enjoy not having to make huge S-curves to go over speed bumps
Old 04-20-06, 12:46 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by evotolexus
Just curious how far everyone is going to modify their 2IS. Didn't want to start a new poll as there are so many out there. Here's my questions.

I came from a highly modified Evo which I never had any problems because I believe in researching and modifying vehicles the proper and safest way with high quality parts.

However, when you do modify a vehicle you automatically take on certain risks such as: Parts breaking, voiding your warranty, more susceptible to vandalism/theft, affecting daily driveability, etc...

Your thoughts?
I came from an EVO too. Why did you get rid of it? I'm assuming because you were tired of the aweful gas mileage, constant maintenance and the boy racer image. I actually got rid of mine because of a performance shop. They messed up my tranny when they installed the new clutch and wouldnt' take responsibility. They first told me my front diff was bad. Had it replaces with an upgraded limited slip one for $3000. Problem still not fixed! The tranny def had something going on with it and I wasn't going to spend another $3000 to replace that, so I called it quits and got an Accord Hybrid for awhile (6 months) and have once again returned to the performance world. Though my car payments are high, I am actually not spending as much as I did per month when I had the EVO. I am getting much better gas mileage and there aren't any mods available for the car yet that I'm interested in doing immediatly, so I'm not dumping money there. I am letting all the other people do the buying and testing and I'll wait for a bit and see what actually works best. In the future (2-3 years or so) I would like to do some kind of FI if it's a feasable option/upgrade.
Old 04-20-06, 12:53 PM
RaysIS350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an IS350 with the LUX package - only mods so far are:

1) Rear Lip Spoiler - had the Dealer install this last Monday.

2) All Rear Windows Tinted 18Perc SunTek (more than likely 18). Going in tomorrow (Friday) for this at Tint Pros in Roseville,CA.
Old 04-20-06, 08:07 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
I came from an EVO too. Why did you get rid of it? I'm assuming because you were tired of the aweful gas mileage, constant maintenance and the boy racer image. I actually got rid of mine because of a performance shop. They messed up my tranny when they installed the new clutch and wouldnt' take responsibility. They first told me my front diff was bad. Had it replaces with an upgraded limited slip one for $3000. Problem still not fixed! The tranny def had something going on with it and I wasn't going to spend another $3000 to replace that, so I called it quits and got an Accord Hybrid for awhile (6 months) and have once again returned to the performance world. Though my car payments are high, I am actually not spending as much as I did per month when I had the EVO. I am getting much better gas mileage and there aren't any mods available for the car yet that I'm interested in doing immediatly, so I'm not dumping money there. I am letting all the other people do the buying and testing and I'll wait for a bit and see what actually works best. In the future (2-3 years or so) I would like to do some kind of FI if it's a feasable option/upgrade.
Wow, another fellow ex-evo owner. Pretty good on the assumptions. My main reasons were wanting more luxury, tired of worrying about the known tranny issues, getting too old for boy ricer image, already replaced spoiler due to clearcoat fading, Brembo's were starting to fade, insurance rates constantly going up, etc....
With all that said though, still loved the car very much and never had any problems. Just wanted to sell the car before the Evo IX's came out and before I started to have any tranny problems.

IS350 was perfect combination of luxury and power. But the mod bug is starting to bite at me........
Old 04-20-06, 08:29 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

i am thinking of three things to do
1 nice rims proabley 19's
2 intake/cat back and headers
3 sub in a fiberglass box something with a xbl^2 motor and a good sq and a 1000 watt amp
4 suside the rear doors
Old 04-21-06, 08:21 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna try leave it as stock as possible since my s2000 is modified. Gotta have one car out that won't attract cops attention

Quick Reply: Modifications - How far are you willing to go? Warranty? Driveability?