IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How Many Miles Were On Your 2Is When You Bought It ? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 10:32 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

31 on mine.
Old 04-06-06, 05:56 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

My paperwork says 10 miles.
Old 04-12-06, 06:42 PM
zup13
Driver School Candidate

Default Miles on car on dealers lot.

Anyone have an oppinion on taking a car on the dealers lot with 45 miles. I have my choice of the car in the color and configuration that I want which is in stock, or ordering the car and waiting around 30 days. Same price either way.

The miles bug me since I know several people had to test drive the car. But in reality could it realy make a difference to the overall longevity and performance of the car. What do you guys think.

Thanks
Old 04-12-06, 07:05 PM
Lupin5
Driver

If it's gonna be on your mind constantly I would suggest that you pass. If you dont care then go for it. It's under warranty and the car probably has less actual miles cause when it comes from the factory, it usually has some miles on the car already. Mine came with 13 miles on the OD. If you want the car right away and can't wait then get it. There is no gurantee that you will get the car in 30 days, might be 60.
Old 04-12-06, 11:02 PM
x986
Rookie

The owner's manual has no break in instructions. You don't need to baby it for 1,000-2000 miles. Actualy many people say that the best way to break in a car is to "drive it like you stole it".

You "shoud" be able to get a little bit off of a car that the dealership has to "floor", but even if you can't, I wouldn't worry about a few testing miles.

My ordered car came with 14 miles.
Old 04-13-06, 04:16 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Default Mileage

My special ordered IS350 was delivered to me with 30 miles on it! Not really a big deal....as mentioned, its under warranty and if you see no obvious exterior finish issues, I wouldn't wait.
Old 04-13-06, 04:34 AM
zup13
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I did not realize there was no breakin period in the manual. I always have this picture in my mind of this guy (who looks alot like me) driving the sh!! out of the car on a test drive.
Old 04-13-06, 05:36 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x986
The owner's manual has no break in instructions.
Another person who didn't bother to read this section of the manual:

Breaking in your new Lexus

To extend the life of your vehicle, the following precautions are recommended to observe:
  • For the first 186 miles:
    - Avoid sudden stops.
  • For the first 621 miles:
    - Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
    - Avoid sudden acceleration.
    - Do not drive continuously in the low gears.
    - Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
Old 04-13-06, 09:03 AM
casey225
Pole Position

45 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things. However, if you just have to have a virgin car, 30 days isn't so bad. How many other vehicles have you purchased with 0 miles on it? Unless you special order, probably not going to happen. I have only had one car which had 0 when we bought it, but the dealer had to drive it a couple miles for it to pass their "inspection" before letting me have it (i.e. brakes work, gas pedal doesn't stick, etc.). I would bet the manager or one of the salesman probably drove it a few times for "local advertising".
Old 04-13-06, 09:24 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

first 1000 kilometers is the break in period (do not do crazy stuff)
Old 04-13-06, 09:54 AM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Default Run it hard

Originally Posted by zup13
Anyone have an oppinion on taking a car on the dealers lot with 45 miles. I have my choice of the car in the color and configuration that I want which is in stock, or ordering the car and waiting around 30 days. Same price either way.

The miles bug me since I know several people had to test drive the car. But in reality could it realy make a difference to the overall longevity and performance of the car. What do you guys think.

Thanks
Here is an interesting read...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Although many of the tests here are for motorcycles, the same would apply. Basically, it totally negates the need to "go easy" during the break in period. Quite the opposite, in fact. I plan to do this break in method when I get my next new car.
Old 04-13-06, 11:31 AM
bb6lude
Rookie

one car that i bought had ~40mi on it when i got it as it was transferred from one dealer to the one that sold it to me. it didn't bother me, but if it'll always be in the back of your mind, then wait for 30 days

ricky
Old 04-13-06, 12:19 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

One car I purcahsed a Toyota Yaris, it had almost 5x miles..
The Lexus only had 20 miles
Old 04-13-06, 01:12 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zup13

Thanks
I agree with others who say that it is not a big deal. Having said that, if you plan to baby it for the first 1000 miles, chances are this one wasn't babied for the first 45. I drove it like I stole it when I test drove the IS 250 and 350, clearly not compliant with the owner's manual suggestion. Is the car I drove a damaged good? Of course not. Have you really heard someone say they drove their car so hard during the break in that they now are 1 second slower on the quarter mile or had to chnage engines?

Lexus really builds solid cars and the worst thing to the engine is probably the car sitting idle when the dealer is showing stuff to customers and not when you are flooring it during the test drive.

If they had the car I wanted on the lot with 50 miles on it, I would take it home now.
Old 04-13-06, 02:19 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've bought new cars with a bunch of miles on 'em (over 100). And I've bought cars with fewer than 10. 45 on a Lexus? Buy it and enjoy it. It won't be long and you'll not even remember what the odometer read when you picked it up. IMHO

Quick Reply: How Many Miles Were On Your 2Is When You Bought It ? (merged threads)