IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 11:32 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
Not really a discovery per se, but I love the way all the things that open/close, do so smoothly. For example the cover over the cup holder, the cover over the ashtray, the ashtray itself when you remove it, the OS handles over the doors. For some reason it just seems more luxurious when it smoothly opens or closes (geared) rather than snapping open or closed (spring). I love this car!!!
One thing I'm sorta weirded out by is that the doors on my car seem to be somewhat... creaky. As in when I open them slowly, they creak a lot, as if there isn't enough oil in the hinges. Does anyone else's do that?
Old 05-05-06, 06:37 AM
tdog09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
One thing I'm sorta weirded out by is that the doors on my car seem to be somewhat... creaky. As in when I open them slowly, they creak a lot, as if there isn't enough oil in the hinges. Does anyone else's do that?

might need to lube them up then
Old 05-08-06, 01:25 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phish2112
I found a feature today I didn't know you could do....

You can pull out the cup holder in the middle armrest compartment. Not too exciting, but I didn't know you could do it. Since I want to keep the fuzz inside it nice for as long as I can, I figured I'd keep the cup holder out to hold more junk instead of grimying it up with Mt. Dew slime.

Havent tried this yet... but how do you pull it out? I could definitely use more room in the middle armrest compartment.

thanks,
Old 05-08-06, 05:22 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

First try, then post...
Old 05-09-06, 04:56 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I have the same problem. When I do my 5K service, I am going to ask the dealer to lube it up for me. It gets annoying a bit.

I also found that when I get out the car, the suspension make noise too (not all the time). I have sports package. Anyone else with the same problem?
Old 05-09-06, 05:25 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
Not really a discovery per se, but I love the way all the things that open/close, do so smoothly. For example the cover over the cup holder, the cover over the ashtray, the ashtray itself when you remove it, the OS handles over the doors. For some reason it just seems more luxurious when it smoothly opens or closes (geared) rather than snapping open or closed (spring). I love this car!!!
Did you know.... that Lexus paid special attention to this. In fact, on the GX 470, most open/close devices take almost the same time to open (cup holder compartment, glovebox, ashtray, lighter cover, center storage compartment, sunglass holder...).

They probably did this on the IS too. Try it! Open two or more things (cuphoder, ashtray, glovebox, sunglass....) at the same time and you should find that they take about the same time to complete their full motion.

Let me know if this works on the IS also.
Old 05-09-06, 05:33 PM
phish2112
Driver

Originally Posted by inecstaz
Havent tried this yet... but how do you pull it out? I could definitely use more room in the middle armrest compartment.

thanks,
it's not hard at all. I think there's a clasp but can't remember. just pull it straight up. If it doesn't come out rather easily then you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-13-06, 09:27 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

discovered something about the fob. did u know when ur near the car. a little red light on the fob which i didnt know existed flashes?
Old 05-13-06, 09:43 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"MODE" button on steering wheel

don't want anyone to miss this cool feature...... Thanks Redpaste.

From <Redpaste>:
"Did you know that when you hold down the "Mode" button on the steering wheel, you can turn the audio system off and on?? I just found this out today. I love finding new things out on the car!!! Yes, I do know about holding down the next track buttons to change cd's"
Old 05-14-07, 06:47 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I just found out that you can't pop the trunk unless the car is at a complete stop. I tried popping the trunk as I was coming to stop, and I thought my trunk release button was broken. Then as the car came to a complete stop, it started working again.
Old 05-14-07, 08:06 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I suppose that was for the anxious passenger who pushes buttons while you're on the hwy!
Old 08-07-10, 10:13 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Default Toooooo Coooool

Originally Posted by yaro1
Did you know.... that Lexus paid special attention to this. In fact, on the GX 470, most open/close devices take almost the same time to open (cup holder compartment, glovebox, ashtray, lighter cover, center storage compartment, sunglass holder...).

They probably did this on the IS too. Try it! Open two or more things (cuphoder, ashtray, glovebox, sunglass....) at the same time and you should find that they take about the same time to complete their full motion.

Let me know if this works on the IS also.
I can not wait till give this a test lol
I just also want to point out something about the windshield wipers. When you flick the wiper controls up, the blades wipe three times, pause for a couple seconds, then the wipers give the windshield one more wipe just to make sure the extra fluid is wiped off the windshield.
Old 08-07-10, 11:11 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I'm starting to love this car more and more....

It's cool finding all these neat things out!
Old 08-07-10, 12:01 PM
Lummie2IS
Rookie

So I know holding down the unlock on the fob for a few seconds will roll all the windows down and open the moonroof. Is there a way to close them all with the key fob? I tried holding down the lock button for a few seconds but nothing.
Old 08-07-10, 02:07 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Lummie2IS
So I know holding down the unlock on the fob for a few seconds will roll all the windows down and open the moonroof. Is there a way to close them all with the key fob? I tried holding down the lock button for a few seconds but nothing.
If you take off the cover and put the mechanical key in the door lock, it works. Hold the key in the lock position, and the windows and sunroof close.

Quick Reply: Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.