IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 07:46 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulv7260
This may be more of an "undocumented feature" then a cool/neat one. Most likely unintended as well but it is nice to "stick it to the man" every now-and-then (hope I didn't just date myself).

So, I hop in the car (2012 IS350), push start and the nav greets me with the Lexus Enform splash screen followed by the "show map" disclaimer screen.

What I noticed is that if my bluetooth phone connects while the "show map" screen is displayed it is like touching the "Show Map" button. I'll get the message at the top of the nav that says "bluetooth connection successful" but then the nav switches to the map.

Anyone else notice this happen or is this old news?
Old news it happens even if you don't have BT connect.
Old 01-27-12, 06:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Interesting. My buddy has the programmable steering wheel and seats but yet no tilt down. Either his mirrors are broken or his car is from Canada.
Canada options their cars quite differently, so it's certainly possible he has some of the lux/sport features but not all of em since their packages are different.... Jeff Lange might be able to speak to this.

In the US though if the car has memory seats it has the tilt-down mirrors.

(note they only tilt down if the mirror switch is in the L or R position- in the middle turns the feature off- so I suppose there's also the chance you friend has his set in the middle and thinks he lacks the feature)

Originally Posted by neomedic
I know my packages didn't have them. Just wondering how hard would it be to do a mod to get them? Or can a mod be even done?
Ah... well, I'm not aware of anyone having added them... I suspect you'd at least need to change the body ECU (since I think this controls all the 'extra' functions the sport/lux package get like the memory seats, tilt steering, tilt mirrors, etc)... not sure if it'd freak out at all if you only had one of the features it's expecting though.

This is part 8922653010 in non-sport/lux cars
This is part 8922730020 in sport/lux cars

Sewell gets about $1000 for it

Might be some wiring/fuse differences, but the ECU's probably the only expensive part... long as it doesn't freak out about NOT getting communication from the missing functions I'd speculate that'd add the tilt mirror feature. (Disclaimer- this is just vaguely educated speculation, don't show up at my house with a mob and torches if it doesn't work )

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-27-12 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 07:10 AM
Kauro
Pole Position

Night and day! With the rear head rest folding down! Thanks!
Old 01-27-12, 08:33 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

The only thing different I can think of for Canada is that our F-Sport package has memory seats and auto-tilting mirrors, while the USA F-Sport package does not. Other than that, any sport package/luxury package should have the auto-tilting. Like Kurtz said, I think it's more likely he had his mirror switch in the wrong position to use it.

Jeff
Old 01-27-12, 10:37 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istarzan
^ Laughs. Its for when your key fob dies and you can't get in the car. You use your physical key and stick it in the key hole to pry off the cap and a physical door key hole is revealed. Then you can physically unlock your car.
oh, that slot allows you to use the key to pry off the stationary portion of the handle? i had that feeling, but there was no way in hell i was about to attempt to find out on my own without access to the owners manual.
Old 01-27-12, 10:44 AM
Kauro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The only thing different I can think of for Canada is that our F-Sport package has memory seats and auto-tilting mirrors, while the USA F-Sport package does not. Other than that, any sport package/luxury package should have the auto-tilting. Like Kurtz said, I think it's more likely he had his mirror switch in the wrong position to use it.

Jeff
Dang! I wouldn't mind auto tilting mirrors on myfsport.
Old 06-17-14, 10:48 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

anyone else read their manual?
Old 06-18-14, 05:37 AM
jsh139
Rookie

Originally Posted by aQuarius26
The way the ash tray comes out is pretty slick once you discover the button to release it.
I'm ashamed to admit that it took me a whole week to discover the little button to release the ash tray. I was tugging and tugging on it to no avail. All I wanted to do was pull the damn thing out so that I could get a little more room to stick my phone in there, but I could not for the life of me get it out. I knew it had to come out. How else could you empty it if it didn't come out? Finally, in desperation, I shined a light in there to see WTF was holding it in and then noticed the little slider. I was like, "Hmm, what does this do?" I slid it, and like magic the ashtray came floating up like it was on a cloud.

Old 06-18-14, 08:17 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Holy thread resurrection.

I knew about everything in this thread already.....why? Becasue I actually read my manual lol....doesn't take long
Old 06-18-14, 10:51 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I've had my IS250 for 2 years and my IS350 for one and JUST found out that my rear armrest had storage compartments in them. I also found out about the headrests coming out and forward to increase rear visibility. I'm never back there.
Old 06-18-14, 11:36 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol I have the IS for like 3 years now but never know this until reading your post ahahahahahaha shame on me

Originally Posted by jsh139
I'm ashamed to admit that it took me a whole week to discover the little button to release the ash tray. I was tugging and tugging on it to no avail. All I wanted to do was pull the damn thing out so that I could get a little more room to stick my phone in there, but I could not for the life of me get it out. I knew it had to come out. How else could you empty it if it didn't come out? Finally, in desperation, I shined a light in there to see WTF was holding it in and then noticed the little slider. I was like, "Hmm, what does this do?" I slid it, and like magic the ashtray came floating up like it was on a cloud.

Old 07-13-14, 10:03 PM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can program your car so that opening the driver side door will open all doors instead of just driver. Basically press lock and unlock buttons on key fob for 5 seconds or so and a display will show up on info screen. Now when you reach for the handle the car will unlock all doors. Handy if you have a family and sick of getting in and having to press unlock button each time
Old 07-14-14, 06:10 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
You can program your car so that opening the driver side door will open all doors instead of just driver. Basically press lock and unlock buttons on key fob for 5 seconds or so and a display will show up on info screen. Now when you reach for the handle the car will unlock all doors. Handy if you have a family and sick of getting in and having to press unlock button each time

Just made my life so much better! The fiance complains every time i forget to unlock all doors as im already in the drivers seat and shes looking at me through the window. I thought it was a feature only Lexus could change so.
Old 07-14-14, 02:08 PM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Did this finally this morning, knew about it but would always forget to program it in.
Old 07-15-14, 12:33 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
Did this since day one. If you don't want someone in your car then just use your fob and it will only open the one door.

I don't know if this is documented (prob is), but normally when you use the paddle shifters when you're in 6th gear (in auto, not manual selector mode) it'll drop the gear down to 4th. If you double/triple tap it up, then hit down, it'll go into 5th gear instead of 4th.

Quick Reply: Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.